A few questions about the term EDC

AlphaZen

Enlightened
1) How many lights do you have that you consider to be an EDC light?

2) How many of those light do you carry Every Day?

3) Is an EDC still an EDC if you don't carry it every day?

4) Do you think the term EDC is inherently too general?

5) Do you think the term EDC is applied too liberally?

Just asking out of curiosity really, because I have found myself most fond of small lights that I can carry in my front pocket that are around the size of a chapstick tube. Most of these lights are billed as "the perfect edc". So, if I already have "the perfect edc", it is hard to justify buying new lights that fill the same role. None of my lights that could be considered an edc light are carried by me every day, because I already have more than one "edc", technically rendering the term non-applicable to any of those lights. For me, I guess, the term front-pocket-carry would probably be more appropriate. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Dang, I have 14....Quark (AA & 123,) Fenix (LD10, LD01, L0D, P2D, P1D CE) Zebralights (SC30, SC60, H51, H51w, H501,) and two ITP A3 EOS upgraded.
2) I carry 2 everyday - usually Quark AA and ITP A3. This changes from time to time. Will trade out the Quark AA for the Quark 123, or ZL SC60, or ZL SC30.
3) Definitely - I think it is more of a description of the size.
4) Yes, because I used to think larger lights like a Quark AA2 could be considered an EDC, but after carrying one around for a while it's not (not for me anyway....too big.) For a LEO though it could be different as most of them carry on their belt allowing for a larger sized light. Others have reasons for carrying a larger light everyday. A maintenance guy at my building edc's a 2xAA maglite. So it's different for each of us.
5) Yes, but for reasons listed above. I think most flashaholics would agree that an edc is a one cell light probably under 4" long or close to it.

There is one light on the horizon (3rd quarter) that I feel has a pretty good chance of replacing my Quark AA as my main edc light. It's the Zebralight SC80 that can use one AA, 14500 Li-ion, CR123, or RCR123 all without an extender and has the new stiffer switch design. I like the sound of it, and hope ZL delivers. EDC lights are my favorite, and I guess I'm always on a quest to find a better one.

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
1) How many lights do you have that you consider to be an EDC light? 3, but see my comments below.

2) How many of those light do you carry Every Day? 2, again see comments below.

3) Is an EDC still an EDC if you don't carry it every day? No opinion.

4) Do you think the term EDC is inherently too general? No opinion

5) Do you think the term EDC is applied too liberally? No opinion.

My light that most truly fits the EDC definition is a Quark Mini AA. The only time it's not on my person is when I'm naked, and even then it's close by.

I have a Quark Mini 123 as my backup EDC. This light stays in my backpack. My backpack is almost never more than 100 feet away from me. So I'd say that light easily qualifies for the term I've given it.

I have a Surefire 6P Defender with a Malkoff M60 that I call my "ENC" - every NIGHT carry. That is, if I leave the house and expect to be out at night then it goes in the backpack, to be put in a pocket when darkness arives. I don't bother with carrying it in the daytime - occasionally this results in not having with me after dark, but I have two other flashlights so it's not a big deal. Since I do attempt to (and 95% of the time do) have this light with me after dark I think it qualifies for the title ENC here.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a multitude of lights that could be called EDC lights, or are capable of used as EDC lights. Off the top of my head, SF E1L, E1B, Z2, G2, G2Z, Energizer Romeo, E2L, a couple of home brew and custom built lights. Fenix E01, E05, Streamlight Microstream. Arc AAA.

Arc AAA on my keychain and the SF E1L.

In my opinion, no. A light can be EDC-capable, but not one I choose to actually employ as an EDC light.

Not particularly. It's not worth it, I think, to overly define the term because it will inherently vary from person to person. "Cop EDC" versus "High School Student EDC" versus "House Wife EDC" versus...etc.

No. Although I admit I think it's becoming a buzz word, much like tactical. Look! I have tactical underwear!

Just asking out of curiosity really, because I have found myself most fond of small lights that I can carry in my front pocket that are around the size of a chapstick tube. Most of these lights are billed as "the perfect edc". So, if I already have "the perfect edc", it is hard to justify buying new lights that fill the same role. None of my lights that could be considered an edc light are carried by me every day, because I already have more than one "edc", technically rendering the term non-applicable to any of those lights. For me, I guess, the term front-pocket-carry would probably be more appropriate. Anyway, what are your thoughts?
I think trying to over-specialize the term is more headache than it's worth. There is plenty of gear I frequently carry, which is different from gear I always carry or almost always carry, memory lapses permitting. Calling a bit of kit "nearly EDC" just seems silly and over-technical in a situation where that specificity isn't needed.

-Trevor

Borad

Enlightened

I just want to break the tie and say no, but if you carry it only on work days and you work most days of the week, then I think it's an appropriate enough term. So, technically, yes, but I'm feeling more love for the no.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I think trying to over-specialize the term is more headache than it's worth. There is plenty of gear I frequently carry, which is different from gear I always carry or almost always carry, memory lapses permitting. Calling a bit of kit "nearly EDC" just seems silly and over-technical in a situation where that specificity isn't needed.

-Trevor
Well said. To be clear, I am not suggesting we change the way the term is used. Just getting philosophical.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
I have lights to choose from that range from battery size AAA => AA => CR123 => 18350 => 18650 => 6 cell mag. An EDC light for me is one that I will carry consistantly enough to have it in those unexpected moments when it's really valued. I don't feel like my AAA's provide enough lumens to meet my EDC needs, though in an emergency, they would be welcomed. The CR123 => RCR123 => 18350 lights have enough lumens for any situation and also run for extended time on low for real emergencies. They are my everyday go to light and are my EDC. The term EDC as a group of lights and then we decide to carry them, the term is used to describe the tools we carry daily by choice. We were carrying the tools before the term was even spoken. I began carrying a mini-mag 2x AA nearly 40 years ago. I carried it all the time and it met the need, until something better came along.Who knows, 10 years from now, I might be EDC'ing a AAA sized light that produces 500 lumens for an hour.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two lights that I edc, an Arc AAA and a 2xcr123 from gander mtn. I only use the term to talk about the lights that I actually carry every day, but I think it's fine for a dealer or manufacturer to call a light an edc light if that is what it's designed for. My lights that I could edc but don't I tend to call pocketable or edc-able.

So I guess it's fine to have edc be a class of lights, buy I think an individual can really only have a few lights that are edc's for them, the rest are just pocket lights or potential edc's.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I think you must carry it with you every day to be an EDC.
Yes, the term is a little too general.
Yes, many people use the term EDC too liberally. They even call a 3x18650 an EDC!

It would be more accurate to refer to the "storage" eg pocket, briefcase, or handheld.

It is most accurate to refer to the "size" class esp the "battery" size, eg compact single CR123-size, semi-compact 18650-size, 3/4 size 2x18650 size, large/full size 3x18650 size, or 6x18650 oversize like the Olight Intimidator SR-90..

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, note that twin 18650's or 2x18650's come in two different configurations:
1) "parallel" 2x18650's eg Eagletac M3C4 and Sunwayman M40C.
This parallel configuration is equivalent to the parallel config used in 3x18650's like the Jetbeam RRT-3 etc.
2) "in-line"

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooops - somehow accidentally hit the return button...

Also, note that twin 18650's or 2x18650's come in two different configurations:
1) "parallel" 2x18650's eg Eagletac M3C4 and Sunwayman M40C.
This parallel configuration is equivalent to the parallel config used in 3x18650's like the Jetbeam RRT-3 etc.
2) "in-line" 2x18650's like the long thin Thrunite Catapult etc.

I think these storage, and battery size & battery configuration classes, are much better than the term EDC...

brembo

Enlightened
To me EDC means that particular light that when doing the pocket pat checklist leaving the house if it's not in my pocket, I go and find it(normally on nightstand). Cell phone, wallet, keys and S-mini...good to go, any one of those items missing and it's back up the stairs to the house to locate one or more items.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC is a term that can be used in different ways.

For instance, I have exactly one light that I carry every day (ITP AAA on my keychain). In the strictest sense of the term, this is my only EDC light even though I never use it (it's a backup/loaner light).

I always carry at least one other light either holstered on my belt or clipped somewhere. I have half a dozen or so lights that are candidates for being grabbed when I'm dressing. I consider all of these lights to be EDC lights

Only one of those lights, the HDS high CRI Clicky, do I consider MY EDC light since it's the one I grab unless I have a compelling reason to choose another light.

I consider all of these uses of the term "EDC" to be acceptable.

--flatline

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very similar to flatline here. My only 100% true (by definition) EDC is an EZ CR2w on my main (car) keys because they also have the house key. Most of the time I also have my truck key (for work) with E01. Aside from those I "EDC rotate" between Sa little over a dozen 1x123-2x123 lights, the smallest being a 140GT to the biggest being a C2. In fact, the only NON-EDCable light I have no is a BC40.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
-ITP-A3
-Fenix E0 Dart
-Zebralight H501
-Akoray RCR123
-NDI clone (promotional give-away from a supplier @ work)
-L1TV2
-SF E2L (the biggest light I EDC)
-Fenix MC10
-Solarforce L2m
-Romisen RC-N3-Q5
-4/7 AA-XPG Tactical

-Two. ITP-A3 is always on my key ring, and I pack carry any one of the others with my leatherman.
dscn2872q.jpg

dscn6286.jpg

No.

No, if you carry an 2D mag on your belt then by your definition thats an EDC. EDC defines how something is used, and is not limited to any physical requirement. Its the same thing as the word "tactical", which defines the method of use... NOT any physical characteristic.

-No. If its carried every day then its an EDC item.... again... method of use NOT physical attribute.

Yes describing the specific EDC method is important whenever discussing pros and cons.

It all depends on how you define the "word"... is EDC a definition based on physical attribute? or is it based on the deployed application? Opinions are bound to vary on this.

Last edited: