Whats the meanest surefire 6p drop-in?

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
Hi,
I have been looking through cpf for a long time now and am rather frustrated because almost all the threads that discuss surefire 6p modding tend to shift toward the 26650 body and the dropins that are no longer available.. I would greatly appreciate a nudge in the right direction.............. What I am looking for is the brightest dropin currently made for the surefire 6p with a 18650 like a quad around 1500-1800 lumens max, runtime is not very important 20-30 mins is plenty I just want max brightness :devil:
Could someone please post a link that might get me close? I would not mind waiting for the next batch to come out:naughty:
Thanks for any help

Tommygun45

Enlightened
It's not near that but the malkoff m91 is pretty impressive. Also on sale right now for ~$93. Puts out around 500 lumens regulated for about an hr and a half. It won't compete with a quad however.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current P60 Tripple drop-ins I tested for OTF lumens make 600~850ish real OTF lumens...Yes; they vary that much due to many factors.

How can adding more heat via another XP-G and making a P60 Quad double the lumens????? You can add the watts of 4 XP-G R5's in a single P60 drop-ins, but the OTF lumens to back it up is yet to be seen by me at least.

The meanest P60 drop-in I ever saw and tested was the Moddoo Direct Drive (not the current regulated one) XP-G R5 model. This one was 1200 plus real OTF lumens and over 1100 OTF at 4 minutes. Unfortunately; only a handfull of these were ever made and they dont come up for re-sale as you may imagine.

The meanest you can get is a Tripple Moddoo drop-in or a Quad, but make sure to get the copper Quad. Without the copper I suspect you will just get watts with no lumens to back it up:duh2:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would say a Kerberos quad XP-G, or or Moddoo triple for LEDs.

i dont know much about incans, so maybe some others can chime in.
but i thought there are incan modules, that can easily produce over 1000 lumens, with IMR cells, and limited runtimes.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would say a Kerberos quad XP-G, or or Moddoo triple for LEDs.

i dont know much about incans, so maybe some others can chime in.
but i thought there are incan modules, that can easily produce over 1000 lumens, with IMR cells, and limited runtimes.

You can get FM1909 or WA1185 P60 drop-in with appropriate bi-bin kit sold by Fivemega. The problem is these are 3.5A~over 5A at the tail off 3 IMR 26500 cells.

If you use a 9P, 3 IMR 18350's would sag considerably and you would never see anywhere near the intended 1000~2000 lumens. Not to mention tailcap resistance and Clicky meltdowns.

You you get a big 2*26650 hosts also by Fivemega, you can probably fit 3 IMR 26500 C cells in there but at that size you might as well get a 2D Mag and call it a day.

bigC

Darvis

Enlightened
Forget quads an triples, the guys above speak wisdom.. you will not see that many lumens with a P60 drop in, well, not that many that will stay that way for more than few seconds. There are some nice ones in the 4.2 A range that Kerberos and others make, but at a cost of more heat than output. Forget 20- 30 minutes of runtime, we're talking maybe 5 before the heat kills the thing.

If you want a drop in that will do it all very brightly, look no farther than the Malkoff M91... it's the real deal.

warmurf

Enlightened
Well I have triples, quads and direct drive XMLs. I am a lover of high powered tris and quads but appreciate these are an acquired taste, and not everyone enjoys them. So if you want a light that packs a WOW factor, go with either a direct drive XML or a regulated one with modes such as say Nailbenders 3.1A version. I have a few direct drive XMLs made by members here and they are darkness killers- incredible. One I have actually out-throws an SST-50, so when done well these drop-ins are hard to beat. I haven't tried a cheapie like a Solarforce or Ultrafire XML drop-in, but one of these may be good to try, and will only cost you $20-30, which is a low risk.

trialt

Newly Enlightened
I would get the M61HCRI Malkoff drop in that is currently being sold at illumination supply. I think the light from the high cri drop in is way more useful than the one given out by the M91 or M91W.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend VanIsleDSM's quad - the 5.6A one is a TIGHT fit in a 6P, you can hear the air escaping as it slides in. Copper with silver plating. I went with the XP-G R4 to get a little better color. I like the wall of light a triple or quad with optics gives - not the flood from a multi-die LED.

You can run it on medium for enough light or put it on high. He also made a high amp clicky tail switch - but I end up locking it out anyway because if I turn it on accidentally in a holster, lets just say the thermal cutoff works.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Ive had all the high end dropins, and for pure brightness the vanisledsm quad r5 seems the brightest. But my favorite is a nailbender neutal xml.. throws much further than any triple or quad but still a wide enough beam to be useful in multiple situations. Plus the heat and power consumption properties are such that a 1-2 hour runtime is actually possible.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I was going to suggest something like the Nailbender XML. Not the absolute max lumens available but with the single LED and a single larger reflector you actually get some semblance of throw. From what I've read, most of the triple and quads, you get an increase of ~100% brightness but at the cost of almost all of your throw. I've never owned any triple or quad P60 modules nor am I a throw junkie, but ~600 real lumens from a single LED in a traditional reflector is pretty useful in that size package.

Last edited:

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
Firstly thank you all for a very good response. It seems to me that compromise is going to be involved in any p60 dropin, either a wall of light like a triple or quad, then on the other hand you have the probably more useful single led with a reflector. I am looking into your suggestions
Thanks again; you guys are what makes cpf so neat...