Brightest E-series light/for its size at least. over 1304 OTF lumens.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

PCC made the copper heatsink and Lamdalights made put it together for me with LED to copper bonding technique he does.

I got a IMR 18650 cell from my EDC XM-L light and without topping off I get 4A at the tail and over 1050 OTF lumens at 8 seconds.

Here are the pictures:
SST2.jpg

SST5.jpg

e90b571a.jpg

58b8a6cc.jpg

41d51ad9.jpg

16f24e52.jpg

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Brightest Surefire L1 bezel **** pre-limanary readings are over 1050 OTF lume

My goal is to hit 1500 real OTF lumens. The SST-90 is direct drive and bonded to copper heatsink.

Here are the details I think will help me get there:
  • Top off the IMR 18650 cell
  • Get a UCL Lens
  • Get a ZeroTolerance Tailcap
  • Get a E-18650 Aluminum Hosts
Currently; the Titanium E-18650 hosts is pretty but not the best metal for heat management. Then the McClikies I have melted at 4.5A and this will surely melt soon. The UCL lens can net me as much as 100 more real OTF lumens. Finally the tailcap. The ZeroTolerance tails really bump up the lumens and avoid messy melted switch clean-ups.

Stay tunned for more tests!!!!

bigC

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Brightest Surefire L1 bezel **** pre-limanary readings are over 1050 OTF lume

Gotta love Steve's tube.

Seems to me, a total n00b, that the switch is the biggest issue at the moment. Then it's at least functional and safe.

Wouldn't an aluminum body only help you to get a few more minutes of run time before temperature made you lose brightness? The peak OTF on a burst would be the same, right? I mean, realistically, not many lights in this size category can throw 1000 lumens for minutes at a time for a number of reasons.

It's a nice lego, though. Did you get the Gavina head as well?

obi

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gotta love Steve's tube.

Seems to me, a total n00b, that the switch is the biggest issue at the moment. Then it's at least functional and safe.

Wouldn't an aluminum body only help you to get a few more minutes of run time before temperature made you lose brightness? The peak OTF on a burst would be the same, right? I mean, realistically, not many lights in this size category can throw 1000 lumens for minutes at a time for a number of reasons.

It's a nice lego, though. Did you get the Gavina head as well?

obi

You got it, the tailcap is currently the main problem. There is no tailcap in production for a light this size that will handle 5~8A I expect. Thus; a custom ZeroTolerance twistie or FeTie would have to be made.

Yeah, the Aluminum body is just for extended use, but the initial 1sec~1min shouldn't matter.

The total wattage for such a small light is alot and eventhough the bezel is all copper its still not enough and the 1000 OTF or more will not last very long. My goal is to hit 1500 and keep over 1000 after 1 or 2 minutes.

No Gavina bezel yet, KuKu does offer one with XM-L that I have my eyes on.

NOTE: If anybody wants the E-18650 Titanium bodies and tailcaps they are sold by KUKU here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?235251-Gavina-CR123

bigC

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I added a UCL lens and it went up about 50 lumens with the same 4A at the tail.

its at 1104 OTF lumens and the same as before the lumens start lower and rise slowly after turn-on vs. traditional ramp down after turn-down.

bigC

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't wait to see what that light does after you get the tail cap/switch situation sorted out. Now if only that deadbeat, PCC, can get off his lazy behind and work on it we'll see some results. :p

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember it was just a few years ago when the holy grail was 100 lumens. Oh how the world would be perfect! LOL

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just a quick update;

IMR 18650 topped off at 4.2V
4.87A at the tailcap
McClicky tailcap still
UCL lens added

The latest update is to get rid of the tactical top of the bezel and make it flat. I then mirror polished it for a nice touch and it matches/flows with the polished Titanium nicely too:thumbsup:

1304 OTF lumens!!!!

9346f576.jpg

c2527666.jpg

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Great minds behind this collaboration!!

Thanks for sharing Jose and good luck on the rest of the build gents!!

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened

What is this "ZeroTolerance" tailcap? Is it the same as the Oveready ZeroResistance or ZeroRez tailcap inserts? Or is it some tailcap built to really tight machining or construction tolerances? Whatever it is, it is impressive that it can handle the current so well.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Switchless tailcap mechanism BC and PCC have been working on. I'll let the 2 experts elaborate.

Pssst!!! if you guys are up for another night hike PM me the location. wanting to see this beast in action.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome build! Can't wait to see pics of this thing in action.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

What's the lux at 1m?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

A clicky tailcap adds resistance.

In testing some Tripple P60 drop-ins the lumens went up a 100~200 more with the addition of a ZT tailcap. These of course are made for the 6P type of hosts and I hope PCC can make something similar for a E-series tailcap.

At 4.87A its 1304 OTF lumens.

I burned it in a bit and got 5.25A now off IMR 18650 cell, but the lumens didnt improve. Maybe right around 5A is as much as the heatsink can take before no lumens are gained regardless of how hard its driven.

bigC