AR15 Light Help

aaron_c

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I was just going to bounce a few "criteria" off you all and see what kind of recommendations I get. This light will be going on my AR15, which is going to be sort of my outside-the-house 'bump in the night' gun, as well as a range gun. Keeping it as simple and light weight as possible but I do have a Surefire 4" pressure switch pad I really like, and my AR does have a quad rail.

I'd like the light to be compatible with the Surefire SR04 switch (classic universal and millennium universal), and under $100 or so. I'd prefer to have a pretty long throw beam (50+ yards) as long as diffusers are available, so I can switch back and forth if needed. I was thinking the TLR1 with their battery cober/tailcap switch inlet but i don't know if it's compatible. What do you suggest?

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
The Maelstrom X7 follows 4Seven's design philosophy of "function over form." From the start, the X7 was conceived with these basic goals:

• One-inch weapon mountable body
  • Most advanced LEDs and optics
  • Bright, far-projecting solution in a compact, rugged package.
  • Highly efficient, top-binned CREE emitter
  • Fine-tuned deep, smooth reflector
    Note:: The X7 reflector is removable, but it is very delicate. Never touch anything to the inside of the reflector, as it will permanently mar the polished surface.
  • Useful range of over 100 meters
  • Waterproof to IPX-8 standard: 1 meter, 30 minutes
Features

• Seven versatile modes of output are easily accessible by simply rotating the head. A completely silent 4-point switch allows selecting through the modes without detection, ideal for tactical situations. The seven modes are split into two sets. The most commonly used modes of output are placed as the first two positions (tight and immediately loosened) for both sets of modes: High/Strobe, and High/Medium.
  • Generous knurling throughout the surface of the entire light ensures confident grip even in the messiest of situations.
  • Removable grip ring, clip, and crenated stainless steel strike bezel. A flat-black aluminum bezel and grip ring replacement are included.
  • Shock-mounted battery design holds the batteries firmly inside to the body of the light, avoiding self-destructive battery movement. The light is ready to be weapon mounted.
  • Patent-pending anti-rattle design that accomodates both 2xCR123A and 1x18650 without the need of spacers or adapters.
  • Custom molded holster shaped for the X7 is included. This holster is designed to help retain the light even when flap is open.
  • A tactical, momentary 'clicky' switch is fully exposed in the tailcap for easy access, even when wearing gloves.
Specifications

Dimensions

• Length: 6.0 in
  • Body Diameter: 1.0 in
  • Head Diameter: 1.5 in
  • Weight (w/o batteries): 5.1 oz
Power Source

• Power: (1) 18650 or (2) CR123A batteries
  • Operating Range: 2.7V~12V
Typical Output and Runtimes

• Moonlight: 0.3 lumens, 6 days
  • Low: 30 lumens, 21 hours
  • Medium: 270 lumens, 2.8 hours
  • High: 480 lumens, 1.3 hours
  • Strobe (10hz, 480 lumens): 2.5 hours
  • S.O.S.: 4.5 hours
  • Beacon: 12 hours
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_406&products_id=2613

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
The Fenix tk11 I think would be great for that sort of use.
Compact & light and great output.
Has a pressure switch available.
Hi-lo output with a twist of the head.
Cr123a for long life on low.
50lumen low setting is enough to blind a intruder momenterally

aaron_c

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick update. I already have a TK12R5 and today I picked up the VTAC light mount and a Surefire G2X Tactical. I'll see which I prefer on the weapon, and use the other for more daily stuff (or I suppose nightly stuff).

Coronach

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a flashlight expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I know a bit about rifles and using them at night. Here's my setup for both my patrol rifle at work and my home guns. At present, everything runs the same setup: Surefire G2 in a VTAC mount on the quad rail.

As of right now, with that G2X and the VTAC, you have a functional setup that can attach directly to your quad rail in an offset configuration (10 o'clock for a righty). It's light, bright and reliable. You actuate the light by pushing the tailcap switch with your support-side thumb. You can also do pretty well with a TLR-1 in the 9 (or 3) o'clock position, working the rocker switch with your thumb.

Now, for added fun, brightness and runtime, go to Malkoff Devices and get a drop-in head for the G2X. I believe these are running around $50 (or were when I bought them). They put out about 200 lumens, illuminate stuff out to 100M +, are pretty easy on batteries and have stood up to thousands of rounds of 5.56 and 7.62 going down the pipe. They're utterly good to go.

I'm not a huge fan of pressure switches, but I do run one on my patrol rifle, since I have to put my flashlight on a bayonet mount (department policy, don't ask). It's one more thing to fail, one more thing to buy, and one more thing to get snagged on gear or the environment. If you insist on running one (or have to), I'd tape the heck out of it to keep it from getting pulled loose.

Mike

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G2 or G3 with a Malkoff. A 6P/9P will work, but the G series will look better over time, since there's no finish to be scratched up. Most reliable "cheap" weaponlight you can get...and can always be upgraded and field repaired. The G2X will work for a bit, but wasn't really designed to handle weapon recoil, etc., so you may want to eventually get a P60 compatible set-up. Hope this helps!

Coronach

Newly Enlightened
Oh, the G2X is not compatible with the P60 drop-ins? See? Not a flashlight expert. But yeah, the G2 + MD drop-in is just plain bombproof. It works, it's bright, and it's inexpensive.

Mike

aaron_c

Newly Enlightened
The G2X has 200 lumens already, from the factory. That may be why the malkoff is incompatible. Also, I contacted Surefire and they recommended the G2X Tactical for mounting on an AR15 (I originally asked a general question about the G2X/6PX lines and recoil).

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? That's odd - the last thing I heard was the G2X series was not endorsed for rifle mounting. Good to know.

The G2X isn't P60-swappable. You can get the 6P or G2 incandescent, or one of the early LED modules and upgrade to a Malkoff, but be aware the sealed LED head which replaced the P60L is not Malkoff-upgradeable.

That's part of why the the "X" series of lights is cheaper than their incan counterparts - less individual machining.

-Trevor

aaron_c

Newly Enlightened
Really? That's odd - the last thing I heard was the G2X series was not endorsed for rifle mounting. Good to know.

The G2X isn't P60-swappable. You can get the 6P or G2 incandescent, or one of the early LED modules and upgrade to a Malkoff, but be aware the sealed LED head which replaced the P60L is not Malkoff-upgradeable.

That's part of why the the "X" series of lights is cheaper than their incan counterparts - less individual machining.

-Trevor

Yeah, I contacted them to ask if the G2X Pro and 6PX Pro versions being weapon-mountable because I liked the idea of multiple power levels, and their response was that they recommend the G2X Tactical for mounting on an AR15.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah - probably having to do with the single mode versus multi-mode configuration.

-Trevor

chanjyj

Enlightened

-Trevor

The new series G2X, 6PX, Z2X et al uses a single spring at the tail cap. If you used 2 CR123s they would hit each other each time you fired a round due to recoil.