First mod: XML in 4D M@g

idlplumb

Newly Enlightened
Finally got around to building my first light.

An old 4D was the host, with a driver and emitter from DX...

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/6-18v-3000ma-3-mode-circuit-board-for-xm-lt60-emitters-57779

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/xmlawt-1000-lumen-led-emitter-white-light-bulb-3-0-3-5v-51989

I removed the "daughter board" (smaller PCB) from the driver to give me a single mode driver. I overlooked the PCB size when ordering, so I did end having to take off more of the reflector than planned. But live and learn, right?

18AWG silver coated teflon wire is what I used, but I'm moving down to maybe 22AWG next time (I thought I was being smart with the larger wire).

H22A Flat top P7 served as the heatsink and artic silver alumina thermal epoxy held the LED to the sink.

Beam at about 25ft: (No idea why imageshack turned the image sideways)
img1011es.jpg

Beam shot at about 10 ft:
img1012o.jpg

Had to cut away toooo much reflector, but it worked:
img1013mi.jpg

Next time, I'm going smaller wire, smaller plate for the LED and I'm trying to find a way of building my own reflectors......not ideas just yet. Any suggestions?

ljw2k

Enlightened
Buy the X-ML on a 14mm board next time mate then no need to butcher the reflector and it will fit the H22A heatsink perfect as the post is 15mm

idlplumb

Newly Enlightened
Ya, I plan on it. Just couldn't find a source for the 14mm. Where are you guys buying them from?

moderator007

Enlightened
Try here.:) Bryan is a real nice guy to deal with at shiningbeam. I have ordered several things from him. Always been happy.

You also could try driving the led with the sst-50 driver dx sells. It will overdrive it a little at about 4 amps. Makes for a really bright mag thrower.

Last edited:

idlplumb

Newly Enlightened
Nice, thank you!

The only other thing I am looking for is a driver capable of 6V without struggling (don't want it getting too hot) and will deliver 3000-3200mah. 2800 sounds plenty, but I might as well go for the full 3200mah if I can find it. And I REALLY would prefer it be single mode or 3 mode with memory (so it only switches modes if I turn it off and back on right away).

idlplumb

Newly Enlightened
What if I went with NiMH batteries though? I would end up with only 4.8V even with 4 in the tube. (I have the batteries already).....do you know if the driver will work with 4.8V?

ljw2k

Enlightened
Hi and i always found 2D maglite excellent for X-ML mods with a runtime of around 3 hrs on high using the above and using NiMH batteries you would not even come close to that in a 4D.

The spec on that driver would be no good if you want to use standard batteries but perfect for the IMR batteries above.

Tech Spec Input voltage 5.5V-12V,

if you still want to use standard batteries then this driver below should be fine.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-132/3-dsh-Mode-Regulated-Circuit-Board/Detail

Last edited:

moderator007

Enlightened
If you want to use the 4D's you could use the shiningbeam 8-7135 3-mode driver that ljw2k suggested. KD also sells them here. The modes are very easy to change on the board if you want more or less modes. The 7135 driver will work very well with 4.8v input. If you can solder you can also paralell more 7135's on the board to give you more current. Each 7135 you add gives you 350 ma more.

I have also ordered leds from lck-led. I have always had good luck with them.
ljw2k thanks for that info about ordering 14mm boards from lck-led.

idlplumb

Newly Enlightened
If you want to use the 4D's you could use the shiningbeam 8-7135 3-mode driver that ljw2k suggested. KD also sells them here. The modes are very easy to change on the board if you want more or less modes. The 7135 driver will work very well with 4.8v input. If you can solder you can also paralell more 7135's on the board to give you more current. Each 7135 you add gives you 350 ma more.

I have also ordered leds from lck-led. I have always had good luck with them.
ljw2k thanks for that info about ordering 14mm boards from lck-led.

How exactly would that work? Leads from switch paralleled to the boards and outputs coming together at the LED?

Would that balance out the load so that the drivers run cooler?

moderator007

Enlightened
If you look at the driver you will see the three little legs on the 7135. The 7135's are black and rectangler. You will have to desolder a 7135 off of another donor board. All you have to do is solder the three legs together. Connecting all three legs to the corresponding legs. Or you can solder together a whole other 7135 board. The 8-7135 board has eight 7135's. Giving 350 ma each for a total of 2800 ma. The 7135's are all connected parallel. Maybe this will help here or here.

Latest posts