Your name isn't on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oronocova

Enlightened
A story that happened to me I think some of you will find entertaining...

I work as a field technician and am always on the road. I cover a lot of miles and am in and out of a lot of offices everyday. I'm always in a hurry and unfortunately I end up eating a lot of fast food and last Thursday was no different.

I started out in the office; I had to pick up a couple of parts for down machines and then I was on my way. I did a few calls and my next one was about a 95 mile drive from where I was currently located. So I decided I'd stop by a McDonalds in a small town on the way. For some reason I decided to eat in. Usually I just eat in the car but this was an exception and after you read about what happened to me you won't blame me for not eating in again!

I waited in line and so as not to be un-American I ordered a #1 with a Coke. There were only a couple people there so I had my pick of a booth. I sat my food down and went back to get some napkins and ketchup. Well this is where it gets interesting...

As I got up to get my ketchup I noticed a homely looking lady and her child coming in the door they went past the line, past me and sat down at my table. I was kind of bewildered but I approached the table where the lady was now EATING my food. I asked the woman what she thought she was doing eating my all American meal. She informed me that it was not "my food" and that "your (my) name wasn't on it."

Now I'm pretty quiet overall and not one to make a scene in general. I was pretty dumbfounded but I tried to reason with her (even though I wasn't going to eat after her) to no avail. She insisted that it wasn't my food and that my "name wasn't on." Which I thought was a ridiculous grade school argument but OK. By this time the ordeal had attracted the attention of another couple in the restaurant and I wasn't interested in making a big deal over it. Sooo I went and got the manager, explained to him at the counter what had happened and he came out to talk with her.

He talked with her as I stood aside and I still heard her make the argument that my "name wasn't on it." Incredible, I know... anyway after a minute he said he would let her have the food if she left. I think she had had enough also so she complied and her and her son left. (By the way her son never said a word the whole time. He honestly looked as surprised as I did and I really felt bad for him.) The manager told me he would replace my meal and that was fine with me. I asked him to make it to go as I was to embarrassed to spend any more time inside. Oh, and I did make sure there was ketchup in the bag!

I'm just glad there wasn't that many people in there as I was embarrassed but happy that it was over. I got my meal for a second time and as I was headed to the door I noticed a duffle bag in the seat where I, and the lady, was sitting previously. It wasn't mine so obviously she had been carrying her stuff in it so I went over to it and picked it up to turn in to the manager. Well it was at this time that the very same lady returned through the side door and shouted at me that it was her bag. If you knew me well this next part will seem out of character but I quickly informed her that her "name wasn't on it!" Now I'm a big guy and I'm not that fast but I knew I was parked close and she was across the restaurant from me. So I ran out the door with her bag of stuff and my bag of food! By the time I was in "Drive" she was out the door behind me but it was too late then! HAH!

Sorry for the long post, just figured some of you might find that entertaining.

russthetoolman

Enlightened
Right on!!!! LMAO!!! That gave me a great laugh I was needing. Funny how she didn't like being treated how she treats others :)
Part on me wants to know what was in the bag and part doesn't.
I was afraid when I was reading that someone claimed your flashlight on the table.
Russ

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, it is sort of funny, but I am guessing that her unusual behavior was driven by real world need. (hunger). I travel a bit myself, and occassionally pop for a meal for someone that looks like they need it. Usually, I just buy a few extra bags of burgers and casually leave them on their table or nearby as I walk past silently. I can see why you were unhappy though.

So, you stole from a hungry mom and her kid over a hamburger?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I think you were part of a psychological experiment, or a candid camera TV show. :nana:

But seriously, did you actually steal her bag? I was buying it until then....at which point it crossed my mind that this was some sort of joke.

watt4

Enlightened
David Letterman had a bit in the old days, where he would stand on the sidewalk and ask folks walking by (carrying bags), "What's in the bag?".

so, what was in the bag?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So, you stole from a hungry mom and her kid over a hamburger?

We know for certain that the food was paid for, no guarantee about the bag or anything in it. Stores don't always "put their name on" merchandise, and if you're bold enough to steal in front of someone, then who knows what you're doing when no one is looking. There isn't anything preventing this woman from claiming someone didn't put their name on a car at a gas station, or a house of a vacationing family; and there's always the possibility of the actual owners of those items deciding to take the law into their own hands and resolve the issue violently..

This may be an important lesson for the woman.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Chances are the manager has seen these shenanigans before. Besides, everything is caught on video these days. I would've asked the woman "let's go back and review the surveillance footage together, hmm?"

And I would've left her bag with the manager to deal with as he sees fit.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Great story, especially the ending. Karma in action. Granted, two wrongs don't make a right, but maybe after having this done to her, knowing how it feels, she won't be so quick to do it again. Good lesson for her son, also, in how not to treat people. She may have been poor and hungry, but I kind of doubt it. I've seen similar nonsense at a grocery store once a while back, where someone was trying to take other people's groceries after they were paid for. The manager said this guy comes in from time to time and does that. The real kicker is that this person was known to be worth quite a bit. He had no rational reason to steal, other than trying to get something for nothing. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that woman not only wasn't poor, but actually fairly well off.

At least you ended up with a replacement meal at no charge.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
There isn't anything preventing this woman from claiming someone didn't put their name on a car at a gas station, or a house of a vacationing family; and there's always the possibility of the actual owners of those items deciding to take the law into their own hands and resolve the issue violently..

This may be an important lesson for the woman.

Cars and homes do have a name on it, well maybe not printed on it but there are titles and deeds.

Greta

Flashaholic
Sorry ladies and gentlemen... but I honestly don't believe this topic is something to laugh about or whatever you want to do with it. As nbp wrote above, I believe this is some kind of joke and honestly I don't feel it is appropriate. Stealing someone else's property is not a joke... and should not be praised in any way, shape or form. CPF does not condone that. In truth... if this story is for real, I believe the OP should be brought up on charges and with any luck, the lady went back to the manager and called the cops and the surveillance tape is in their hands right now... :ironic:

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.