First timers Experience charging 18650's...

Harv

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would post this for all the guys who were like me who decided to get into the 18650's and tried to wade thru the mass of info that is out there.

I had been reading on this forum and doing research for about 2 month. Ihad read all the info on batteries...

I read all the tacked threads and all the reviews on chargers and the dangers of Li Ion batteries and finally took the plunge. I purchased a TK 35 after spending about a month researching it (Great light, very happy) and along with it I got a Cytac dual bay 139 charger along with 2 protected AW 2900Mah batteries. I wanted to stick with a brand that had consistent high reviews and was always the number one battery recommend for folks new to the Li-Ion game. The charger was part of the package. I had reservations about it based on some reviews and may still get a Pila down the road, but for now, I thought I would try it.

So The first thing I do is take a multi meter to the two New batteries and I get a Voltage of 3.93v per battery.

So based on a chart that I downloaded here (Thanks to whomever did it..) it's telling me the batteries have about a 60%charge.

So I ensure the + and - ends are inserted in the charger. They fit with no issues) and plug it in. I then placed the charger into the bottom of a 50cal ammo can I have and set it on my work bench. Two red lights come on.

I started the charge last night at 5:30pm and kept an eye on the charger every 30 mins. at 10:00pm the lights were still red. At 10:30pm I went back down and the lights were green. I then unplugged and removed the cells.

Both cells measured 4.20v. right off the charger. I let them sit overnight. next morning I remeasure and they read 4.18v. I place them in the light and Viola.. works.

I will be going out tonight to play with my new light. I'll update as I run the light and need to recharge the batteries. Overall I feel very confident on the set up I have now and will continue to measure voltage before and after charging.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the world of Li-Ion!

You're doing exactly the right thing by measuring the voltage of the cells. It's by far and away the best way to make sure nothing will go wrong.

Enjoy!

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. Your story is a lot like mine. Same first 18650 flashlight, the TK35 (great light, I still love it); same first 18650 charger, the Cytac (bit iffy, I've ordered a 4Sevens Single-bay charger V2, because HKJ's test results show it using the CC/CV "best" method, but it hasn't arrived in the post yet.); and same 18650 cells, the AW2900's, which are working out great.
I've also got 4 pink protected Ultrafire 18650 "2600 mAh" cells, mostly just to see how they work out. I've had no issues with them, but I still think I'll stick with AW or Redilast going forward.
It's good to see someone who does their research, and goes about things in a sensible and logical way.
I don't think you'll have any issues with the way you're doing it. :thumbsup:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
......same first 18650 charger, the Cytac (bit iffy, I've ordered a 4Sevens Single-bay charger V2, because HKJ's test results show it using the CC/CV "best" method

Hi Harv. I'm with Sam on the Cytac charger. It'll work but......

Also I wanted to point out that there is no "good, better, best" method for charging Li-Ion cells. According the the manufacturers of Li-Ion cells, there is only one, CC/CV. The only two variables in the CC/CV algorithm recommended by the Li-Ion cell manufacturers, are the values of the CC current, and the CV voltage.

That said, unfortunately a lot of chargers out there (actually "most") do not adhere to the proper CC/CV algorithm. And just a reminder, the distributors of these chargers, such as Cytac, xxxxxFire, Soshine and even AW, are just that, distributors, not Li-Ion cell manufacturers.

It's good to see someone who does their research, and goes about things in a sensible and logical way.
I don't think you'll have any issues with the way you're doing it. :thumbsup:
Again, I agree with Sam. Everyone should research before they buy. Of course, there are always lessons to be learned.:)

Dave