Malkoff        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Why are you a flashaholic?

Default Re: Why are you a flashaholic?

I think it is honestly apart of what makes us the modern human beings we are. One of the most significant steps a species can take is discovering and wielding fire. Fire is important as both a source of heat, and a source of light. Mastery of these simple fundamentals are apart of what make us humans, human. Along with such, our primary evolutionary trait by which we interact with the world is vision- We may stand high on two legs, gripping with opposable thumbs the hilts of devices that grant us the ability to continue forwards under conditions that are guaranteed to occur naturally, and in many cases purely incidentally.

Sure, I can see the whimsicality and humor to be found in my ability to spend many many hours each week going over my hundreds of lights- the fascination and it's roots that drive my obsession are anything but.

Since 'enlightenment' I have yet to go a single day where I have not found it at minimum, handy to have light on my person.
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

I used to use a BiC lighter as a flashlight before enlightenment dot.
    But when I learned an LED light that small was brighter than a BiC lighter and no longer had a purple beam that was it for me. I was already a flash light nut but the day I discovered a flashlight the size of a tube of chapstick could put out useable light in the daytimeÖÖÖ
    John 3:16

I don`t know exactly, I just have this thing for Light I guess, I have 10`s of thousands of LEDs in all different colors and sizes, nearly 2000 candles, various kerosene lamps, and of course Torches!
    I look at them sometimes and think "Girl, you got problems!" but I reason that it`s not really hurting anyone so I just carry on. I was scared of the dark as a child (and had good reason to be), but I`m pretty sure I`m not that bothered by it so much now, so it`s probably not that.
    There`s just something comforting in having light whenever you want it and not for any practical purposes necessarily, sometimes it`s nice just because.

Because I keep learning about new features I want.

I started carrying an AAA light to help me read labels in the supermarket. (E01)

then I started looking for a light that was also capable of nightstand sublumen levels (Olight i3s)

then I wanted copper (Maratac)

then I wanted High CRI (Beta)

then I wanted NoPWM (Tool)

then I wanted the light to reach 200 lumens, so I started using 16340 lights (Olight S Mini)

then I wanted to experience a rotary (HDS)

then I wanted to experience a stepless rotary (RRT-01)

then I wanted TitaniumÖ. (TCR-1)... grail

then I borrowed a ramping UI light, (D4)

then an old school ramping light fell in my lap, Nitecore EX10 Ti

and at that point, I looked around at over 2 dozen lights on my desk

started packing them into a customized Pellican, and sat back to enjoy some quality time online

Happy 4th!

the hot chicks and camaros
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Women swoon at the sight of a man with a flashlight !

I'm not.

I can quit anytime I want.
    John 3:16

Because believe it or not itís cheaper then A therapist😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Because itís easier than telling my wife Iím addicted to hookers and blow....
    The beauty of Science hugely outranks the charms of superstition

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    Because itís easier than telling my wife Iím addicted to hookers and blow....

Sometimes I believe people would be more understanding to that than trying to explain why I spent $500 dollars on a flashlight. The looks i get...

The reason that I am a flashoholic is that when I am not buying yet another flashlight, the world and its people are hostile and evil. That in turn makes life intolerable. When I am buying yet another flashlight, the earthsí hostility and evil people are tolerable.
    It has been one year since an Arlington police officer defended himself against a loose, charging dog. In this case, someone other than the dogs' owner did Not reap the initial tragic consequences. Usually it is an innocent victim that gets it.

Default Why are you a flashaholic?

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    I don`t know exactly, I just have this thing for Light I guess, I have 10`s of thousands of LEDs in all different colors and sizes, nearly 2000 candles, various kerosene lamps, and of course Torches!
    I look at them sometimes and think "Girl, you got problems!" but I reason that it`s not really hurting anyone so I just carry on. I was scared of the dark as a child (and had good reason to be), but I`m pretty sure I`m not that bothered by it so much now, so it`s probably not that.
    There`s just something comforting in having light whenever you want it and not for any practical purposes necessarily, sometimes it`s nice just because.
    When did you start collecting?

I think i became a flashaholic after my Stream light got stolen at work. Rather than buy a new one I just asked around for some broken ones from my coworkers and set about fixing them because I like projects like that. Next thing I knew, I was fixing the whole departmentís flashlights. People were giving me lights left and right and i was getting substantial discounts during my time as a rep for a light company
    Last edited by aginthelaw; 07-06-2020 at 08:39 PM.
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Because I'm a big kid at heart, and when I was a kid, with my friends, we LOVED to sneak around at night during sleepovers and explore the woods, go from a village to another - which is easy when they're all 2 to 4 kilometers from each other -, we'd go and hold "councils" at the shacks we had built in the woods during the day and called our "secret headquarters"... and as much as we did most of the walking without any light (we'd go out when the moon was full so that we could do without light, as people would have been spooked by lights wandering between the fields), we did take flashlights with us and used them when at the shack, or when we read maps to make sure we weren't lost; under a poncho, of course, lest we wanted to be spotted!

And that's how I fell in love with wandering out in the countryside at night. Of course, the fact that the region I grew in doesn't have things like bears and cougars helped! But, still, here I am, almost 40 years old, being excited like a kid when I'm buying a flashlight because of all the cool adventures I could have with it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456