getting back up to speed

Newly Enlightened
Ive been away for a while and probably need to start doing some reading,when I last was on PCF ,OMG lumans was here and we were waititng on the blacktie,guess that fell through.
My last light purchases were just as old-a SF L2 and an Olight m20.
Thanks for your help ahead of time,Im gettin the itch but need to get informed first!

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to tell you, but while you were gone, LEDs went out of style. Now CFL and oil lamps are all the rage. Man... keep up! I'll tell you what, I've got a wicked awesome multi-fuel custom lamp with adjustable wick that I'll trade you for your Surefire and Olight.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
No No No...the rage is the multi wood sticks when rubbed & burned together they create a bright light!!!!
Sorry to tell you, but while you were gone, LEDs went out of style. Now CFL and oil lamps are all the rage. Man... keep up! I'll tell you what, I've got a wicked awesome multi-fuel custom lamp with adjustable wick that I'll trade you for your Surefire and Olight.

Burgess

Flashaholic
This is now the 21st Century.

When we need LIGHT, we simply use our Cell Phone ! ! !

Welcome to "the future" !

Newly Enlightened
I have an aladdin kerosene lamp that will put an incandecent 60w at 120v to shame. cfls ,some suck some dont,I got that much.
Im thinking new light ,two cr123.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Jetbeam III M XML 450 lumens which runs on CR123, RCR123, 18650 batteries. If you are willing to run only an 18650 the Zebralight SC600 is impressive for the size to output ratio.
I have an aladdin kerosene lamp that will put an incandecent 60w at 120v to shame. cfls ,some suck some dont,I got that much.
Im thinking new light ,two cr123.

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I will look into that.Thats the range I was aiming at!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should take a look at what 4Sevens has to offer. The Quark series have worked well for me, and are very legoable.

Also fan favorites are Malkoff's lights.

Newly Enlightened
Thank you.I will check those out.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fire on a stick is one of the latest crazes. I'm definitely getting a few of those to lay around the house and the car.

The other latest crazes include:
Dimmer rings (like the Nitecore IFE/IFD series) with REAL infinite variability and possibility to change your output while the light is off!!
Armytek's Predator (medium sized, unbelievable throw and fully programmable). They also listen a lot to what people are telling them, check them out on the market place!
The Xeno E03 (1X AA/14500 battery with up to 500 lumens for ~30$!) also on the MP
Fenix TK70 with 2200 lumens
And Zebra has so many models out now...

Newly Enlightened
That fire on a stick review was a hilarious review.I will check out your recomendations as well as the sunwayman.
Thanks for the help!

PCS

Newly Enlightened
Sight unseen, I'm really impressed with this light.

Which brings up an important development during your absence: the XM-L LED. It'd big, floody, and very bright. It can also be just a bit green around the hotspot's corona and appear very green in videos.

As far as unpopular tints go, green is the new purple and "angry blue".

Surefire discontinued a number of incandescent lights, including the incandescent versions of the C2, C3, G2, M2, E2E, and Z2. This inspired several closeout sales and quite a few shopping sprees. They even marked the venerable 6P as discontinued, although they appear to have changed their minds.

Malkoff released their M61 series of drop-ins. I've read they're floodier and brighter than the M60. M60 prices in the marketplace have skyrocketed.

New Rule in the LED Flashlight Forum: If anyone asks for a recommendation, someone must recommend a Zebralight, even if its specs contradict the OP's requirements. No exceptions. ;)

Oh, and Zebralight has produced a couple of remarkable lights recently. You must buy one. Resistance is futile.

Last edited:

aimxplode

Enlightened
Sight unseen, I'm really impressed with this light.

Which brings up an important development during your absence: the XM-L LED. It'd big, floody, and very bright. It can also be just a bit green around the hotspot's corona and appear very green in videos.

As far as unpopular tints go, green is the new purple and "angry blue".

Surefire discontinued a number of incandescent lights, including the incandescent versions of the C2, C3, G2, M2, E2E, and Z2. This inspired several closeout sales and quite a few shopping sprees. They even marked the venerable 6P as discontinued, although they appear to have changed their minds.

Malkoff released their M61 series of drop-ins. I've read they're floodier and brighter than the M60. M60 prices in the marketplace have skyrocketed.

New Rule in the LED Flashlight Forum: If anyone asks for a recommendation, someone must recommend a Zebralight, even if its specs contradict the OP's requirements. No exceptions. ;)

Oh, and Zebralight has produced a couple of remarkable lights recently. You must buy one. Resistance is futile.

Haha, I've seen this alot. The Zebralight SC51 is getting rave reviews.