CREE 3x T6 3800 Lumen LED - IS THIS THING FOR REAL?

Petawatts

Newly Enlightened
Question, does the CREE 3x T6 3800 Lumen LED really output that much light?
Jeesh, you could near start a fire with the thing if it does.

Searched the forum here but didn't find anything on it, maybe I wasn't using the right term.

Anyone have an UltraFire 3x T6 CREE LED 3800 Lm Lumens model AS3924 ?What are ther thoughts about the Ultrafire vs. getting the Terralux drop in model of this ( Part #:TERTLE300MEX TerraLux TLE-300M-EX LED Upgrade Kit , 700 Lumens. Fits 4-6 D cell Maglite.) and putting it in my Mag 6-D cell?

http://terraluxcorp.com/terralux/Pr...tUpgrades/MiniStar30MEX/tabid/86/Default.aspx

Can anyone provide other lights that use this module or some other light with similar output in a similar price range?

I'd really rather stay away from the 18650 and CR123A batteries due to their cost and stick with the D cells, but the Ultrafire model seems much smaller than if I put the drop in into my Mag, and I'd prefer something smaller than packing around my 6-D Mag.

Any idea what run time I'd get with the Mag drop in vs. the Ultrafire with the 18650 or CR123A batteries?

Can anyone give Pros & Cons about these things?

Any other alternatives to a cheap high lumen light such as this?

I happened across this and was like !@#$ ! ! !

Thanks much in advance!

--Petawatts

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It'll nudge a thousand lumens on startup, a good deal for the price as long as you have the cooling and powering know-how. The TerraLux is slightly dimmer, but throws a tight hotspot-only beam which will appear brighter than the other model, it also requires no technical knowledge.

Any other alternatives to a cheap high lumen light such as this?

You can get an actual 3000+ lumens for just over $70 here.

Last edited:

Petawatts

Newly Enlightened
Found more on it, thanks.

Any input on my inquiries?

What would the flash-o-holics here do, the drop in for the Mag or something different like the UltraFire, or???

Not really interested in modding as most of my stuff is in storage and I'm on n extended adventure in my RV. Currently @ ~9,000-Ft in the Rocky Mountains after WAY too long *south* of New Orleans... :)

It'll nudge a thousand lumens on startup, a good deal for the price as long as you have the cooling and powering know-how. The TerraLux is slightly dimmer, but throws a tight hotspot-only beam which will appear brighter than the other model, it also requires no technical knowledge.

You can get an actual 3000+ lumens for just over $70 here.
Was looking for something I could carry in my back pocket preferably. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enlightened
Was looking for something I could carry in my back pocket preferably. Thanks for the link.

You can do that. Take out the extension, pop in 2 x 18500 (about 2000mAH), if you want to be on the safe side invest in IMR 18500 because the current draw on 2 cells starts at 2.5A for 4.2V x 2 = 8.4V. But as the cells drains and voltage drops, the current will ramp up to about 3.5A or more. It would just be a 180mm light, definitely pocketable in a pair of big jeans on a big guy.

Petawatts

Newly Enlightened
Ah, that would be the 1x18650 750 lumen Thrunite Scorpion, which I would definitely prefer over a Mag drop-in..
Thanks, looks like nice torch, especially like the adjustable output and memory. Really trying to stay away from the 18650/CR123 batteries though, as I have the Maha charger and a ton of AA & AAA batteries (been using NiMH for prolly ~15-yrs. FYI: Look up a company called Cobasys on Wikipedia and see who has their hands all over NiMH technology, I work for that company, the one that makes a LOT of gasoline), and I can charge C, D& 9v also, so it'd be a bit senseless for me to invest in something I need to buy more rechargeables and a new charger for.

I sorta like the looks of the Fenix T41, but it isn't quite that 3800 lumens... Damn, do you need a permit for a 3800 lumen light in some states? :O LOL Would like to play with one of those things for a few days to see if they're actually up to snuff...

Love BJ BTW, and also ordered a star drop in from DE a few yrs ago for a 2-D Brinkman, but have never got around to dropping it in. I got the lead on the drop in from here.
Let me dig back in my massive file archives and see if I can find the drop in star I was apprised to here and see if I still have a link to it @ DE and the part #. It was only like $5, a VERY easy swap, and doubled the light output. I got the 2-D Brinkman for like $7ea delivered from Woot. Will BRB with the part #, hopefully... Actually have it and the Brinkman in cab with me and on my to-do list now that I've got more free time and am in a much more relaxed place. Was to be my first mod, albeit not really a mod, just an emitter swap on the cheap.
EDIT: Found it: Light is a Brinkman 2D 3 Watt Luxeon
Drop in star I came across here was a Seoul Semiconductors Z-Power LED Emitter (U-bin) ZPOWER, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1445

QUESTION: Would this - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/xmlawt-1000-lumen-led-emitter-white-light-bulb-3-0-3-5v-51989
drop in the Brinkman as easy as the above led? Looks very similar, and the voltage looks proper, but I'm no modding expert...

Threads from back then when I ordered it:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/187335
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/253111

Any more powerful stars nowadays I can put in the Brinkman as easy as this swap is supposed to be?

Also saw a mention that this board crashed, is that true? I had an account several yrs ago under the same username, but it was invalid when I came back. I admin and own several boards myself.

Any newer technology drop in stars for cheap lights these days, like for a 2-D Brinkman, or a 3-D or 6-D Mag? I run Xenon bulbs in my Mags that aren't LED ones. Have a 3xAA Mag LED and love the little thing...
But I want a portable "fire torch" now that I'm roaming the mountains after my escape from the washing machine better known as SE Louisiana ;) Maybe I can blind the pesky bear and it's cub that's trying to run me out of my camp just long enough to escape *WHEN* we have an up close & personal. Already had an up close with it's cub 2-3 days ago, and I was like holy !@#$, where's the mummy @, and I immediately scatted...

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You still have some options if you want to stick to AA cells, since you can just use an adapter to stack lots of them into the Mag's body; that's how I power my 2D TLE-300 Mag, using a 2D/6AA adapter loaded with Eneloops. You could get just over 3000 lumens this way using Mac's drop in.

And no you don't need a permit for the big gun lights, the aforementioned HID unit I linked to is commonly found at your local Wal-Mart. Yes it's too large for a pocket, but you won't notice the size nearly as much when you see it throw a hotspot a half mile away (and animals definitely cannot look anywhere near your direction)

If you're talking about stars and getting out the soldering gun, you may as well get an SST-90 or XM-L on a star and do-it-yourself.

Last edited:

Enlightened
The thing about NiMH is that their power density is low, so you won't be seeing pocket lights with even like 300 lumens. Unless you go D sized NiMH, which also means new purchases....so you might as well go Li-ion in the first place. I don't think you wanna play with Energizers, most flashaholics don't use their lights much, but the batteries do get used up soon because most of us want to keep it topped up (brightest).

You did say high lumen light. :) The only AA high-lumen light I know is Fenix TK41, TK40, which are in the hundred dollar range and they need 8pcs of AA.

Another option you can consider is Solarforce L2i. 2xAA, with 3-mode XP-G drop-in. You'd probably get 180 lumens or so from what I see when i put in 2 AA on a normal L2 and used wires to connect the end. Cheap also at $29 USD shipped. (add $2 for registered mail tracking). 2 x NiMH is 2.4V nominal.
Flashaholics like 3-mode operation. :)

Built quality for their L2 is extremely good, seriously its as good as the branded flashlights.....just no hard anodization. (my hard anodisation on my $$$ branded light is chipping off...)

Li-ion is cheap...$14 for a pair of Solarforce V2 18650, they are tested very close to 2400mAH in hobby chargers, in BLF someone is testing 3A-5A for some other stuff. These are not cheap chinese crap.
You can get generic LiMn IMR 18500 for just $8.80 a pair shipped and tracked, if you need "shortie" 180mm length operation for the 3 x XM-L Sky Ray. This one is also tested to be as good as the "AW" brand which you see often used here, at pretty high current and the capacity is still good/battery not warm at all.

Last edited:

Petawatts

Newly Enlightened
ACK! Had a detailed reply/inquiry typed up, and was going to copy & paste into a text editor to proof read and update it, but when I clicked to go go copy & paste, I hit a link in my reply and it went to another page and I lost the whole thing :~(
Will BBIAF with my post, if I can reconstruct it... I broke one of my LONG standing rules, ALWAYS type up replies of any length in a text editor and then copy back into the board... Learned that the hard way MANY times, but it just bit me again :~(

--PetaWatts

Petawatts

Newly Enlightened
Apologies in advance for being a PITA newbie with uninformed questions, but you all go DEEP on lighting here, and it'd take a LONG time to catch up with you all, especially with all the equipment changing rapidly, and with so many different offerings out there I'm getting bug-eyed just perusing them all...
With that said, THANKS MUCH IN ADVANCE for the input & help... I've got a lot of flashlights, and was sorta the go-to guy in my circles before I moved if someone needed anything like lights, etc, anytime a storm came or something undesirable happened.

But now I want a FireLight®© to deter these bears I've gotten myself into... I've resorted to keeping cans of starting fluid with a lighter taped to them scattered around camp, and I figure a nice fireball in their direction will deter them, but I know some of these lights they have nowadays will blind them long enough for me to make an exit stage left ASAP...

You still have some options if you want to stick to AA cells, since you can just use an adapter to stack lots of them into the Mag's body; that's how I power my 2D TLE-300 Mag, using a 2D/6AA adapter loaded with Eneloops. You could get just over 3000 lumens this way using Mac's drop in.

And no you don't need a permit for the big gun lights, the aforementioned HID unit I linked to is commonly found at your local Wal-Mart. Yes it's too large for a pocket, but you won't notice the size nearly as much when you see it throw a hotspot a half mile away (and animals definitely cannot look anywhere near your direction)

If you're talking about stars and getting out the soldering gun, you may as well get an SST-90 or XM-L on a star and do-it-yourself.
What emitter are you using with the 2-D Mag? Mac's?
Could you possibly give me a pointer to the most popular AA-->D cell adapters people around here prefer, without costing like they're made from gold? Mac's drop in is nice, but way outta my price range...
I'm pushing it going even $50 more on another light right now.

The 3 lights I have option to mod I think would do the best if I were to go the mod route are a 2-D Brinkman with the 3w LED, a 3-D MagLite and a 6-D Mag, which I'm using Xenon bulbs in my Mags...

My Mag 3xAA is LED, and I really like it, is there any drop in star upgrades for that thing anyone knows of?

I'd rather stay away from the 123 & 18650 batteries although I know they are much better batteries. I can charge D-cells with my Maha charger, or go with the AA-->D adapters. Have Eneloop AA's, and they beat everything else I have hands down, and I've been using rechargeables for <15-yrs. I'm an employee of a company that used to be the majority owner of the 2-companies which owned a company called Cobasys (Look Cobasys up on Wikipedia and you'll understand why the electric cars haven't came further along than they have)

If it were you, which route would you take? I do like the looks of the Fenix TK41, but it's not quite that 3800 lumen monster... And I think I might be able to get nearly as bright as the TK41 with a drop-in mod to 1 of my existing lights for a fraction of the cost of a $100+ light.

What are your preferences between the SST-90 or XM-L?
I can't locate their lumen rating just yet, have any idea on their lumens?
Could you possibly point me to one that would drop into one of these lights.
I've found links listed above to a couple of stars, and have since found these as well:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/xm-lt6-885lm-led-emitter-6000k-white-light-bulb-3-0-3-5v-50599
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ssc-p7-c-bin-led-emitter-with-21mm-heat-sink-base-3-6v-3-7v-12721
Would one of those drop into the Brinkman 2-D 3w LED ?

The thing about NiMH is that their power density is low, so you won't be seeing pocket lights with even like 300 lumens. Unless you go D sized NiMH, which also means new purchases....so you might as well go Li-ion in the first place. I don't think you wanna play with Energizers, most flashaholics don't use their lights much, but the batteries do get used up soon because most of us want to keep it topped up (brightest).

You did say high lumen light. :) The only AA high-lumen light I know is Fenix TK41, TK40, which are in the hundred dollar range and they need 8pcs of AA.

Another option you can consider is Solarforce L2i. 2xAA, with 3-mode XP-G drop-in. You'd probably get 180 lumens or so from what I see when i put in 2 AA on a normal L2 and used wires to connect the end. Cheap also at $29 USD shipped. (add $2 for registered mail tracking). 2 x NiMH is 2.4V nominal.
Flashaholics like 3-mode operation. :)

Built quality for their L2 is extremely good, seriously its as good as the branded flashlights.....just no hard anodization. (my hard anodisation on my $$$ branded light is chipping off...)

Li-ion is cheap...$14 for a pair of Solarforce V2 18650, they are tested very close to 2400mAH in hobby chargers, in BLF someone is testing 3A-5A for some other stuff. These are not cheap chinese crap.
You can get generic LiMn IMR 18500 for just $8.80 a pair shipped and tracked, if you need "shortie" 180mm length operation for the 3 x XM-L Sky Ray. This one is also tested to be as good as the "AW" brand which you see often used here, at pretty high current and the capacity is still good/battery not warm at all.
Would really prefer something in the 1000-lumen or higher range, but am a bit flexible if I can get something good while keeping cost as low as possible. Can charge NiMH D-cells in my Maha charger, so that is an option open to me. It's just the 123 & 18650 are too expensive considering what I already have invested in NiHM batteries and chargers, I prolly have 60-80 AA & ~40 or so AAA's + 7 chargers, including a Maha.PowerEx.MH-C808M and 2 – LaCrosse chargers...

Haha, guess we won't be satisfied until we have a hydrogen cell powered PetaWatt light flare that can ignite rock at 5-miles :O

And *THANKS MUCH TO ALL FOR THE INPUT * SHARING OF KNOWLEDGE*

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I wish I could afford Mac's drop-in as well, but no, I'm using the TerraLux TLE-300, the older non-EX version. It puts out roughly 600 lumens, but the beam is packed entirely into a narrow spot with no spill beam, so it looks way brighter. The only problem I would see with this build for you is that it's over $70 just for the drop in. If you want to go cheap on the battery adapter, there's Kaidomain's cheap trays, which may slightly reduce your output, but at two bucks a piece, you certainly can't beat the price.

Modding your 3D Mag is where you're most likely to get the bang-for-the-buck conversion, but short of using a soldering iron, you're not going to get too close to 1000 lumens for ~$50, at least going the LED route - if I remember correctly, some of FiveMega's incan hotwire bulbs are in the thousand lumen range; a $15 bulb and a $25ish bi-pin adapter mated to a bunch of AA's might get you there cheaply.

As for do-it-yourself stars, I'm not a soldering iron guy, but I know the XM-L reaches 700 lumens without much effort, and the SST-90 cruises comfortably at 1000 lumens, but you have to know how to engineer your own flashlight from nearly scratch to pull this off. A star is just a board with an LED on it, a drop-in is a complete ready-to-install assembly.

I wouldn't worry about your 3xAA Mag, you're going to completely forget about it in a couple of months when the 170 lumen $30 MiniMag Pro is released..

If that Brinkman has the same PR-based bulb as your Maglites, one ridiculously easy mod is to use adapters to put 6 AAs in it, then install a Mag 6D bulb, presto, 200+ lumens from a 2D for ~$6.

Last edited:

Petawatts

Newly Enlightened
Getting some good input here, thanks guys... Was looking at that TerraLux drop in, and the TK41, but the iTP looks good also... Thinking more now that if it's just going to be a few more bucks, I might as well just get whole light and avoid having to do anything to an existing light. I keep Duracell Coppertops in my 6-D, so it's sorta my long shelf life safety light...
But then again, some of the stars are pretty cheap considering the output you get from them... I mean 900-1000 lumens for $10-$15 and a little tinkering is very cheap... There are just so !@#$ many choices...
I guess the 3800-lumen is outta my range for now :(

Enlightened
The 3800 lumen Sky Ray 3 x T6 is not that bright in reality, but still plenty bright....someone measured this to be about 3.5X more lumens over the Ultrafire XM-L @ the 20 seconds mark in an intergrating sphere (which is very bright as far as XM-L drop-ins go).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I mean 900-1000 lumens for $10-$15 and a little tinkering is very cheap...

Yes it is, because it's not possible - buying just a star gives you the LED which lights up when current is applied, but you have to provide that specific range of current using a battery configuration that fits in a Mag body, then you have to safely get the current to the switch, then the stock switch probably won't handle the current so you'll have to replace it with a high current one, then you'll need a driver so that the LED doesn't have quickly and continuously declining output, then you'll need a heatsink that will fit snugly in the head, then you'll need a reflector for that specific LED, then you'll need a lens that won't impede the output, etc. A properly done turnkey 1000+ lumen Mag should ring in at no less than $100; anywhere you skimp on price, you'll also be skimping on output (or safety.)

Also, don't keep alkalines in any light where storage is involved, they aren't reliable over time, and you risk a leak (or worse, a leak and swell which makes the batteries unremoveable from the body tube.) In the AA format, use Energizer "Ultimate" Lithiums, which do not leak and will last over ten years in storage without issue.

Petawatts

Newly Enlightened
OK, need a FireTorch®© ASAP... These !@#$ bears!

If it were you, which one of these would you get?
Fenix TK41 (really prefer the AA battery use, cheap, find em anywhere in an emergency, have a ton of them already)
A TerraLux TLE-300 to drop into my Mag
ITP A6 Polestar
Thrunite Scorpion

Also found these, what is your opinion on this brand and particular light?:
http://www.monsterflashlight.com
http://shop.monsterflashlight.com/M...-Lumens-Max-5-Mode-5Q5-1200-5.htm?productId=3
Can add 3 Li-on 3600 mAh 18650 Batteries + AC/DC Charger w/Car Adapter for $49, not bad IMO...

Or something else? More input please? :D TIA

--PetaWatts