Who has experience with the Fenix TK41?

mmace1

Enlightened
Some reviews online, but I imagine quite a few more people here might have experience at this point. Your impressions as a general use light? 2xAA and smaller lights are popular now a days, but I'm wondering about slightly larger ones. I have a "travel" light (Quark mini 2xAA), but for a home-bound light - why not something larger I'm thinking?

Blinding neighbors...lighting up fascinating trees at great distances...dramatic runtimes at lower levels I'll never use...but really, the size/weight still are awfully low for a home-bound light, so why not have the flexibility? Or realistically - hiking. Might be nice to have a confident 300+ lumens for the entire night if I decide I hate the dark...(honestly I hike with some people who do, so could be useful).

That said, this aspect (larger than 2xAA or 2x123) of the market seems a bit neglected among the better manufacturers...so I'm wondering additional user's experiences. There are not many choices to be honest.

(Also...manafront.com: Fenix TK41 for $110 shipped...anyone have experience with them?)

kj2

Flashaholic
I can only say that the TK41 is one of my favourites. Even on 800lumens you will get 2 hours runtime (according to Fenix)
It lights up every thing around you and in-front of you. When I take a walk with the dog in the forest, I take my TK41 with me.

mmace1

Enlightened
Thanks, I may have to buy one just as a "toy". Realistically, I can get by with my Quark mini AA^2...everywhere. There was a time when everyone had at *best* Maglites...it seems awfully fun though.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the TK41 is really amazing. If you haven't already looked at the TK45, you may want to consider that as well though. It might be nicer for working on things up close and for seeing more of the trail closer to you when hiking. But the throw of the TK41 completely blows away the TK45.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at getting the TK41 but chose the TK60 instead (for the extra size - yes some or us like big lights). The TK60 is essentially the same light in a 4D format (though it can be made into a 3D if so desired). 4+ hours at 800 lumens is just insane from a relatively 'normal' light. By normal I mean that most people I know think a 4D incan maglite is bright with long runtimes.

In use it's a great light. Lights up a LOT of real estate and illuminates everything within 200-250m quite well in turbo mode. Beyond that there is light, but it's washed out a bit. For walking the dog I find that high mode (350 lumens) is ample and probably a little overkill, but we're not complaining are we.

Richub

Enlightened
It really depends on whether you want a floodlight, or a thrower.

I found the TK41 to be too throwy to use in small spaces or close by. The tight hotspot will easily blind you. If you're looking for a light to use at shorter distances, I'd say the TK45 will be a better choice.
As for brightness and runtimes, both TK41 and TK45 are in the same department and they both use 8x AA batteries.

IMHO, the TK41 is a real outdoors light, and for a general 'around the house and backyard' light you'll want the TK45 instead.

I say: Compare a few beamshots, and make a choice. Either light will be a good purchase.

If you're a real flashaholic, you'll probably end up getting both, like me... ;)