Fenix E21 Or JetBeam BA20 ?

Spin

Enlightened
Which of the two lights would you prefere? Can i assume that the JetBeam will be warmer on high because of the higher output? Also which one has more flood?

kj2

Flashaholic
BA20; 30lumens - 35hours - 49meters - 600cd
: 270 lumens - 1hours 45minutes - 133meters - 4400cd

E21; 48lumens - 11hours -
; 150lumens - 2hours 15minutes - 134meters - 4510cd

On high, the E21 is a little bit brighter, but I don't think you will see that 110cd more that the E21 have.
With run time on low, the BA20 is better - but you have also less lumens.
Both will get around 130meters.

- I have the E21. Very happy with it. Good light to have around the house.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have an E21 and its a nice light, but it has several things I do not like about it....
-Too spot throwey for my tastes, nice throw for a small bezel though.
-Cold tint
-No Low mode

Its a tight beam, spot thrower but its emitter (XPE) Doesn't really have the surface brightness to make it a good thrower.
It is really well constructed though and I like the forward clicky and simple bezel twist UI.

The LD25 is MUCH more to my liking
-Neutral tint (like 11:00 california sunlight)
-Low mode
-More floody XPG beam
-Simple to program mode banks
-Simple bezel twist UI
-Hard rubberized grip
-REALLY nice beam profile, no rings or spots

Some pics...
dscn6705f.jpg

E21 - LD25
dscn6706h.jpg

aimxplode

Enlightened
I can't speak for the E21, but I love my BA20. Bright, forward clicky is great, and the simple 2 mode UI is no fuss.

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
I have an E21 and its a nice light, but it has several things I do not like about it....
-Too spot throwey for my tastes, nice throw for a small bezel though.
-Cold tint
-No Low mode
Well, that doesn't make sense because you can get the E21 with Neutral White color.

Also you can't mod the E21 to become a LD25 because the body and user interface are completely different.

Regards,
Jonas

ergotelis

Enlightened
Well, Jonas you are right up to a point, but modding a E21 with a Xp-g R4 neutral, you get the same performance like a LD25, in beam profile, tint, runtimes and output. Of course you don't have the same body and the extra UI functions :p

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
easy win for the Jetbeam BA20:

1) brighter
2) clip
3) lightly textured reflector, no rings or donut holes

and i like the BA20's high mode spring contacts at the head, you won't accidentally disengage high mode by twisting the head even just very slightly like you would with the fenix

kj2

Flashaholic
easy win for the Jetbeam BA20:

1) brighter
2) clip
3) lightly textured reflector, no rings or donut holes

and i like the BA20's high mode spring contacts at the head, you won't accidentally disengage high mode by twisting the head even just very slightly like you would with the fenix

How is the BA20 brighter? E21 has more candela(cd).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I didn't know they made a warm tint E21... that would be nice indeed.

FWIW... The bezels are interchangeable between the E21 and LD25. (I think this is what ergotelis meant). The threads, O-rings and body tubes all engage perfectly. Don't quote me on this, but I think they used the same bezel/head parts for each light.

I measured my cold tint-XPG E21 in the BC sphere and it did ~205L. Later I did a ceiling bounce comparison with my 210L Malkoff M60 (@ 8.4V) and the two lights were identical / indistinguishable.

Adding the LD25 to the ceiling bounce comparison and it too is right around the ~200L ballpark. (although I didn't measure it in the BC sphere).

OP sorry if this is a little off topic, as I don't (yet) own that model Jetbeam. Good luck in your search!!

Last edited:

flame2000

Enlightened

Don't you trust the ANSI rating?.........Fenix E21 (150lm) and Jetbeam BA20 (270lm).

A candela is a measurement of the intensity of light. The E21 probably has a higher hotspot (higher candela) and throws further than the BA20. But the BA20 puts out more lumens. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic

the E21 may have a brighter spot, but still emit less light overall (dimmer in the sense of overall Lumen output). This is a likely scenario if the BA20 is a robust thermal design and pushes the XPG near the thermal limits for the design. I wish I had one to compare.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E21 uses an xp-e. The BA20 is an xp-g.
The BA also uses an OP reflector.
In spite of that, it nearly 'throws' as well as the E21

ergotelis

Enlightened
I didn't know they made a warm tint E21... that would be nice indeed.

FWIW... The bezels are interchangeable between the E21 and LD25. (I think this is what ergotelis meant). The threads, O-rings and body tubes all engage perfectly. Don't quote me on this, but I think they used the same bezel/head parts for each light.

I measured my cold tint-XPG E21 in the BC sphere and it did ~205L. Later I did a ceiling bounce comparison with my 210L Malkoff M60 (@ 8.4V) and the two lights were identical / indistinguishable.

Adding the LD25 to the ceiling bounce comparison and it too is right around the ~200L ballpark. (although I didn't measure it in the BC sphere).

OP sorry if this is a little off topic, as I don't (yet) own that model Jetbeam. Good luck in your search!!

That is my point, thanks for the back up! I measured too my xp-g R4 neutral modded E21 and get about 200 OTF.

vali

Enlightened
The numbers in the E21 are roughly the same that my TK20. I find the medium setting too bright and the difference with "high" is not that much. I had to bought a flashlight for a friend recently and was thinking in E21 vs BA20. In the end I got the BA20 just because its modes are more spaced and the big difference in runtime.

It has not come yet, so I don't know if the modes are better than the TK20, but I will know it soon ;)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, my Jetbeam BA20 review has direct output, throw and runtime comparisons to the Fenix 21 (no beamshots, though).

Here's the summary table from that review:

2AA-FL1-Summary-1.gif

Note that the BA20 low output level is misleading in the table above, as that is only the *initial* output estimate. Over the first ~100 mins or so (on Lo on NiMH at any rate), BA20 slowly drops in output until it reaches a level just under 20 lumens. It stays regulated at this much lower level for ~3.5 times the runtime of the stock Fenix E21. This is why it pays to actually look at the output/runtime graphs. :)

If you do check out the runtimes on Hi, you will see the two lights are roughly equivalent on most batteries - the BA20 is simply brighter. But the "floodier" XP-G beam means you would likely only notice this in your near-environment. At a distance, it is really only the hotspots you will notice.