help choosing a model

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys
I am in love with lanterns and I'm looking to buy one.
I wanted to get some answers

At first I was looking at the following models:

1. Fenix TK35
- Good size
- Good price
- Good power
-> But left to be desired in light, was looking for some 'pure white' and the review I read it is green

2. Catapult ThruNite v3
- Seemingly perfect, not saying enconotrei review the negatives

3. ThruNite Scorpion v2 XM-L
- I found interesting but have no opinion about

4. Sunwayman
- Some models I liked, but I could not even choose

The amount of lumen directly reflected in the range?

I wish I had some help from people here who understand, I am anxious to acquire and a flashlight ...
thank

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello PAPACHARLIE, and welcome to CPF :welcome:
I went through this same decision a few months ago. I was looking for a dedicated thrower such as the lights you have listed. I was considering the Fenix TK35, the Thrunite Catapult, the Olight MX3, and the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L. I went witht the EagleTac M3C4 mostly because of the multiple output levels, and the huge throw for such a small & lightweight light. It is not small enough to carry everyday, but is a good size to keep in the car or to use outside around the house. Same applies to each of these lights listed. I believe you'd be happy with any of them. If I had to do it all again, I'd still choose the EagleTac over the rest. I really like the size & weight of this light compared to the others, and especially love the range of outputs from very low to really bright. So, check it out. I bought mine at LightJunction.com

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for receiving Outdoorsman5
EagleTac M3C4 model seems fine, but I think that is beyond what I need.

I was watching the Scorpion v2 ThruNite XM-L
He caught my attention being a tactical model and have-intensity setting.
this is correct?

someone could tell me more about the consumption of this lantern?

thanks

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for receiving Outdoorsman5
EagleTac M3C4 model seems fine, but I think that is beyond what I need.

I was watching the Scorpion v2 ThruNite XM-L
He caught my attention being a tactical model and have-intensity setting.
this is correct?

someone could tell me more about the consumption of this lantern?

thanks

The EagleTac is only slightly larger than the TK35 and is smaller & more lightweight than the Catapult. Something smaller than any of these lights would definitely get more use IMO.

The Scorpion looks pretty good, but what I don't like about it are the settings. It has a super low firefly mode (very useful,) then a mode that you set, then max. The light needs two medium output modes IMO instead of just one. I could foresee having to program & reprogram the medium mode over & over. The light needs a 20 lumen setting then a 150 lumen setting in between the firefly & max settings. Other than that the light looks pretty good, and is small enough to be quite useful. My larger EagleTac M3C4 XML doesn't get toted around a lot. Mostly sits in the car, and comes out for fun.

Here's a video review & output info on the Scorpion - ClickHere

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
thanks again

I understand he has three outputs:
1. firefly mode: 0.1 lumens
2. Infinite Brightness: User adjustable
3. Max: 460 lumens

you say the problem is the lack of an output medium term?
Brightness is adjustable infinite and even if I set to 50 lumens when on / off will start at the most?

acknowledges that he did not understand
thanks

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks again

you say the problem is the lack of an output medium term?
Brightness is adjustable infinite and even if I set to 50 lumens when on / off will start at the most?

The adjustable medium mode has to be programmed, and once it has been set the medium setting will always turn on at the level you set it at. The problem I have with this is that I use 20 lumens & 150 lumens the most, so for me I'd have to reprogram this setting over & over if I wanted to use 20 lumens then 150 lumens. There is a very large gap that the middle setting has to fill since the firefly is .1 lumens & the max is 460 lumens. It would have been better in my opinion if there was one more setting that you could program.

I'd recommend that you take a look at the Fenix TK21 as well. It has 4 output settings plus a strobe. The output settings on this light are well spaced out. Here's a video review of it - ClickHere

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
cruel doubt

------
edit
------

I found here a review of Thrunite Scorpion V2 (XM-L) with a different description from another site

the product looks the same, but the description reads differently
I would like information about

thanks

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Turbo-Head-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!
. Firefly mode: 0.2 lumens for 605 hours 2xCR123A (previously was 0.1 lumens, 9 days)
. Max: 750 OFT lumens for 1 minute, then drop to 89% when using2xCR123A (previously listed as 460ANSI lumens for 1 hour on 2xCR123A)
. Strobe: 10hz, 750 lumens for 2.5hours (previously listed as 460 lumens for 2 hours)

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_35&products_id=2359
. Firefly mode: 0.1 lumens, 9 days
. Max: 460ANSI lumens, 1 hours (2CR123A)
. Strobe (10hz, 460 lumens): 2hours

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found here a review of Thrunite Scorpion V2 (XM-L) with a different description from another site

the product looks the same, but the description reads differently
I would like information about

thanks

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Turbo-Head-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!
. Firefly mode: 0.2 lumens for 605 hours 2xCR123A (previously was 0.1 lumens, 9 days)
. Max: 750 OFT lumens for 1 minute, then drop to 89% when using2xCR123A (previously listed as 460ANSI lumens for 1 hour on 2xCR123A)
. Strobe: 10hz, 750 lumens for 2.5hours (previously listed as 460 lumens for 2 hours)

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_35&products_id=2359
. Firefly mode: 0.1 lumens, 9 days
. Max: 460ANSI lumens, 1 hours (2CR123A)
. Strobe (10hz, 460 lumens): 2hours

Wow, didn't know about the improvement to the light. I just found it at batteryjunction.com
The only info I have on it is what's on their website. At 750 lumens - sounds really powerful. If you get it let us know what you think of it.

dbleznak

Enlightened
I just got the scorpion with the turbo head. I love it. Great throw and Thrunite lumens ratings are true, unlike bs Chinese lumens.

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
this description was exactly what pleased me deeply :D
i bought in batteryjunction.com

good, do not i have deep experience in the subject, I will review a basic right - the problem is that I have no other model to compare, but I promise to send pictures

I think the way to use the scorpion is easily adapted to me

I bought 2 Duracell Ultra CR123A
http://www.batteryjunction.com/duraacell-cr123a.html
correct?

thanks

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, those are the correct batteries for this light. Your next purchase should be a couple of "AW" brand 18650 Li-ion rechargeable batteries and a "Pila IBC" charger. These are the best rechargeable batteries around, and have incredible performance & runtimes. In fact, you'll get better runtimes on the higher modes with the 18650 than you would with CR123 primaries.

You can get the AW 18650's from 4sevens.com. I do not know where you can find a Pila IBC charger at the moment....seems to be sold out everywhere that I know of. Another option would be to get the Cytac charger offered at 4sevens.com but it's not as good as the Pila.

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
thanks
I will follow the recommendation and this will be my future purchase

you know tell me if there is a 'head' with adjustable focus type zoom to adapt?

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks
I will follow the recommendation and this will be my future purchase

you know tell me if there is a 'head' with adjustable focus type zoom to adapt?

I don't know of one for the Thrunite, and there are very few lights on the market with a focusable beam. LED Lenser is one brand that I know of, and I own 4 of their lights. I used to be a fan of focusable lights, and used to be a fan of LED Lenser. When I found better quality lights, I never went back to them. There's another company that I've read about called "LensLight" that may make quality focusable lights, so check them out.

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
Finally, she came
came three rubber rings and do not know where you put them, someone tell me?

I'm impressed ... more lights that light the room:)