Google Chromebook

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I'm the one who started the "why are Android tablets and ipad's becoming popular" thread. I just wanted to follow up on what I bought.

Last week I bought a Android tablet and used it for several days. I hated it. They are not for me. I found out I can't stand not having a keyboard and found it was just uncomfortable to use. I have a Android phone and love it. I'm also one who loves technology and new toys so i was very open minded about it.

What I did was buy a Samsung Series 5 Chromebook. I'm sure most might not know what it is because it was just released not long ago. Basically it's a laptop that only runs a Google Chrome browser. It has minimal storage for temporarily storing pictures or documents. It's thin, light, boots in less than 10 seconds and resumes instantly and has 8.5 hours of continuous use. It's basically worthless unless you are connected to the internet. It's designed so the user must rely on the cloud to do everything. Supposedly viruses and malware are not a threat.

I've spent hours reading and learning about it. Reading all reviews and watching all videos I could find about it. It has it's naysayers but I find most of them either don't understand what they are getting or they complain about the price. The first thing you need to understand is you still will need a laptop or desktop.

I understand what i'm getting and feel it's exactly what I'm looking for. I personally love the concept.

Accordingly to FedEx I'll have it in hands tomorrow and will follow up after I use it.

I'm interested in what others think about this new way of computing where you are relying on the cloud rather than locally run programs. Or on the Chromebook in general.

http://www.google.com/chromebook/

Please keep this strictly about Google and leave other brands out so the thread doesn't get closed like the last one.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if you can answer this - what about use on airplanes? Looks like a perfect traveling companion - can you put a movie on a memory card and watch it on a plane? Is it pulling the OS from the "cloud",

Edit saw the info below, but that work if there is wifi
Make your trip fly by

Enjoy the web on a Chromebook with free Wi-Fi. Check one out at the gate and take it aboard select Virgin America flights. Learn more
tryit-virginamerica.png

Last edited:

Siliconti

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. I do not trust cloud based storage, especially if I can not have a local copy - no Internet, no data. Also, I do not trust my data on someone else's machine - who has access to it?

cdrake261

Enlightened
I love my ipad, but I've read a little on the chromebook a while back.... should we expect a full product review soon?