Mini mag lite help

tbone1993

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to upgrade an old 2 aa mini maglite and i was wondering if the terralux LED 140 Lumen Upgrade can work alongside the nite ize iq switch? Is this upgrade even worth it or should i just buy an entirely new light?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Teralux dropins are overpriced for what they accomplish.
Get a new light instead unless you are attached to the MM and really want to keep it.

WoodMan

Newly Enlightened
I have a Mini Mag with the Nite Ize IQ switch and the Terralux TLE-5EX installed. The switch works fine with the Terralux upgrade. 140 lumens, though, is an exaggeration for the lights output. I don't think the light is significantly brighter than the Nite Ize LED Upgrade II which I also have. I wouldn't purchase the TLE-5EX again unless I could get it at a really significant discount on Ebay or elsewhere. The Nite Ize IQ Switch/LED Upgrade II Combo Pac is usually available on Ebay for a better price and is just as good in my opinion.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The 170 lumen, $30 MiniMag Pro will be released in the next couple of months, I'd wait for that..

Last edited by a moderator:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking to upgrade an old 2 aa mini maglite and i was wondering if the terralux LED 140 Lumen Upgrade can work alongside the nite ize iq switch? Is this upgrade even worth it or should i just buy an entirely new light?

If you live near a Lowes you can get a very decent NiteIze 30 lumen upgrade kit, including new reflector and tailswitch, for 7 bucks and change.

Worth 7 bucks, because in about one minute of install time, the kit transforms a dim old MiniMag into a very nice all around, long running utility light.

Beyond the cost of that NiteIze 7 dollar kit, I'd just buy a new light.

Also at Lowes, you can get a Mag XL50 for 25 bucks which is a great light for what it costs.

Mag XL50 will blow away nearly any upgraded MiniMag - certainly will blow away any upgrade you can get for 25 bucks or less. ;>

Last edited:

tbone1993

Newly Enlightened
I will mosy likely end up getting a cheap upgradee just to have a nice little untility light for the car. Inexpensive so iif I lose it or it gets stolen I don't mind

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the TLE-5EX despite its limitations even if it is less lumens than advertised it is still brighter than the cheap upgrades.I am not sure where you were planning to purchase but I see them at one popular online site for $14.95 and that doesn't seem too expensive to me.The problem with incan Mag lights is that there is no way to draw the heat away from the LED drop-in and they are not the best choice for long extended runs.That said they will work fine for most typical flashlight use.What I like best about the Min-Mag is the ease and low cost of parts replacement,especially the lens which is nearly impossible to replace on many more expensive lights.I really don't care for the IQ switch as it draws power away from the LED and you lose a significant amount of output it will work with the TLE-5EX though.I use a cheap TerraLUX TCS-1 tailcap switch with my TLE-5EX.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
upgraded a MM That I have owned for 18 years. Used the TLE-5EX and rear clicky(not IQ). I removed the "Do not remove" part in the head of the flashlight so it won't work as a "twisty" just Clicky now. It makes for an excellent work light that I put in my tool belt. Since it's just a "MM" it hasn't grown legs and mysteriously walked out of my belt!!
Didn't like the IQ switch. Lost some of the LED's power and Stopped working after about a month. Do a search you'll find the IQ switch seems to be unreliable.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago the LED upgrades for the mini mags were a good investment but nowadays with so many different higher performing lights in the same price range they aren't nearly as attractive as they once were, not to mention that for the cost of a mini mag and the terralux upgrade you could have already bought the Mini Mag LED that performes much better, and is cheaper as well.