Fenix E15 (XP-E R3)

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E15
Cree XP-E R3, 1xCR123A, 10lm (30h), 75lm (4h16m), 140lm (1h51m), 1986cd (ANSI FL1), Length: 59.6mm, Diameter: 19.7mm

t29k8mxfhcxx11934046.jpg

t2zflmxi0bxx11934046.jpg

t2mvtmxkhaxx11934046.jpg

approx: 30 USD

Last edited:

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Re: Fenix E15

Wow!
That's a small flashlight! VERY interesting.

Any idea why it uses the R3 LED?
A XP-G is more effective..

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also wow! That looks mean! It looks like CR2 size? (edit; well it's CR123 size. It must not be quite as small as I at first thought. Still looks cool though. Very similar to the Quark mini 123 in fact...)

Last edited:

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fenix E15
Cree XP-E R3, 1xCR123A, 10lm (30h), 75lm (4h16m), 140lm (1h51m), 1986cd (ANSI FL1), Length: 59.6mm, Diameter: 19.7mm
For a quick size comparison, the Quark MiNi 123 has a length of 58.42 mm (2.3 inches) & a diameter of 20.32 mm (.8 inches).

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow!
That's a small flashlight! VERY interesting.

Any idea why it uses the R3 LED?
A XP-G is more effective..

Looking at the picture, it seems like it's using TIR lens, so they might be trying to give it a lot of throw.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me about this "Total Internal Reflection lens" that seems to be all the rage with Fenix these days? How does it work?
Edit: Oh, I see:
Total internal Reflection is an optical phenomenon that occurs when a Ray of Light strikes a medium boundary at an angle larger than the Critical Angle with respect to the normal to the surface. If the Refractive Index is lower on the other side of the boundary no light can pass through, so effectively all of the light is reflected. The critical angle is the Angle of Incidence above which the total internal reflection occurs. When light crosses a boundary between materials with different refractive indices, the light beam will be partially refracted at the boundary surface, and partially reflected. However, if the angle of incidence is greater (i.e. the ray is closer to being parallel to the boundary) than the critical angle--the angle of incidence at which light is refracted such that it travels along the boundary--then the light will stop crossing the boundary altogether and instead totally reflect back internally. This can only occur where light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index to one with a lower refractive index. For example, it will occur when passing from Glass to air, but not when passing from air to glass.

Light reflects away from the lower Index of Refraction material (air) and continues to bounce down the object.

Edit again: and I just discovered that TIR Lens™ is a patented Trademark.

The perspiration elimination is what they've been putting on their (translated) promo pictures lately when talking about the knurling. I think they're trying to say that if your hand is sweaty it will still grip because of the knurling.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't like mid-low-high rotation... but it's a nice little light. Anyone knows if it will be able to handle RCR's???

Melson

Newly Enlightened

Of course I buy a Maratac AAA and then this Fenix E15 comes out!

To be honest though I am not sure I would want another CR123 Keychain light. My Fenix P1's O-ring got worn out quickly so it was always turning on without my knowledge. Throw was awesome but if I am stuck somewhere long-term (day+) with no power it will probably be easier to find another AAA then a Cr123. Also the P1's keyring hole broke so now my Fenix P1 is left ready for use by my bed :(

I'll have to wait for the review, if the throw is there I may buy it.

kj2

Flashaholic

Of course I buy a Maratac AAA and then this Fenix E15 comes out!

To be honest though I am not sure I would want another CR123 Keychain light. My Fenix P1's O-ring got worn out quickly so it was always turning on without my knowledge. Throw was awesome but if I am stuck somewhere long-term (day+) with no power it will probably be easier to find another AAA then a Cr123. Also the P1's keyring hole broke so now my Fenix P1 is left ready for use by my bed :(

I'll have to wait for the review, if the throw is there I may buy it.

The CR123 sucks indeed. I prefer for EDC lights AA or AAA batteries.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't like mid-low-high rotation... but it's a nice little light. Anyone knows if it will be able to handle RCR's???
I just saw the mid/low/high... I guess I won't be getting one.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a quick size comparison, the Quark MiNi 123 has a length of 58.42 mm (2.3 inches) & a diameter of 20.32 mm (.8 inches).
I measured the following lights in the off position:

H30 - 56mm
Logan Short Body - 60.9mm
P1 - 67.6mm
P1D - 71.2mm
QMini 123 Ti - 60.6mm

Aeon - 55.8mm (CR2 light)
Jil Longrun - 51.3mm (CR2 light)

--

This light sounds really great to me, for this type of light I "REALLY" like M/L/H sequence without memory. I'm just a bit worried that the M level is too high at 75 Lumens, it should be no more than 40 lumens. It's possible though that with the flood caused by this particular optic that the 75 lumens level is OK. Can't wait to test it.

It will be interesting to see if they can maintain a good balance with great food, but some throw as well. I found that a good EDC should have some throw it it becomes kind of useless outdoors even for small tasks. A nice flood though is great indoors. The two extreems might be something like the E1B with, and without, a difuser.

At the price point they are offering it ilook very fine to me, I'll get one for testing as I like small lights like this.

Good Job Fenix, but check that medium level!

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic

Awaiting some CPF reviews.

Wonder if it uses PWM regulation on lower levels ? ? ?

PS: and please show us a photo of the ***-end !

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awaiting some CPF reviews.

Wonder if it uses PWM regulation on lower levels ? ? ?

Me too. I hope it isn't PWM. Especially as they (Fenix) made a big deal with the newer LD01 about how it was constant current, and not PWM, and how that was better; it would be a shame to use PWM in this.

Xacto

Enlightened

I hope this light can be used as a batterie Vampire. Would be the ideal "final ways before going to bed" light.

Cheers
Thorsten Wieking

pblanch

Enlightened

I notice that it has the brass beazle in some photos and others nil. Is this going to crush the batteries like it did in the LD15?

Latest posts