SureFire A2 Flame-Wars

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
For the most part, I've sat back and listened to the folks "discuss" back and forth why they ARE or ARE NOT planning to purchase an A2. My original take for me personally was that I had no desire to own one. That was mostly based on what I felt to be price vs performance. I couldn't quite justify to myself a $250+ light that was only as bright as my E2x with an LED or two thrown in. That's pretty much all I've said on the topic. Others, on the other hand, have been much more vocal, almost in a "flaming" way. Whether it was directed at SureFire or the advocates of the A2, it's still coming across as very negative. With the recent talks of the drastic price reductions, I am seriously considering an A2 or two. Let's face it, we're all flashaholics at heart, right.

Now, to the real point of this post. The biggest advocates of the A2, I beleive, are the ones who had the rare opportunity to either actually see/use one or has talked to those that are closest to the source as it relates to the workings of the A2. I ask that you keep that in mind. Those of us (myself included) that have not seen the A2, other than pics posted here, may not have an appreciation for what the A2 brings to the table.

I think it would be beneficial to the rest of us to hear, from your perspective, why the A2 should be/is considered such an engineering marvel. Explain why some of you already know that the A2 will replace your E2x as an EDC. I think we could all learn more and probably gain a bigger appreciation for the A2, if we could hear comments along this line.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hear hear.

I am also interested in its various features (technology, manufacture, and aesthetics). The dearth of information on the A2 (and the digital series) is very disappointing. The various posts by those who have seen and handled the A2 has helped considerably but still...

We need more pics too. Too bad Surefire does not offer a gallery of their flashlights on their website (or do they?)

Cheers.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
And bandwidth would be best served if we kept this thread to questions & answers about the A2, not whether you think it's worth the money or not. If you must, start a different thread on that. TX

McGizmo

Flashaholic
This_is_Nascar,

Nice post and good intentions! I for one have likely said too much already and think the best thing to do on the A2 is to wait until these are out in member's hands and then let the discussions begin. I feel justified in the statements I have made and the positions I have taken. I have been at an unfair advantage as to having the opportunity to see the A2 up close and take it through its paces. At the current pricing, I am confident that these lights will get into the hands of some fellow CPFers and they will be able to share their findings. I look forward to some "under the hood" shots where we all can see that not all flashlights are created equal!

I applaud your position on the A2 and its perceived value to you visa vis its selling price.

Hopefully comments like yours are taken into consideration by the marketing depts. of the flashlight manufacturers.

- Don

MicroE

Enlightened
This_is_Nascar----I hate it when a voice of reason spoils a good firefight!
grin.gif

I always appreciate products that have a design which is superior to the competition. I've pre-ordered one A2.---Marc

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks everyone. Don, you're not going anywhere (you better not be anyway). You have too much good input and we actually respect what you do and your comments and opinions.

llvo

Enlightened
Yea! we're all flashaholics at heart

but I still think an ArcAAA + E2 already 'functions' likes an A2

and one AAA battery is nothing -compared to a 123
rolleyes.gif