Spotify

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe. Don't really like to stream music. MP3 files are small enough to save and carry around (as opposed to video, where streaming makes sense to save on local storage). Plus, my music taste is somewhat eccentric and rarely carried by streaming services.

But then, I might give it a try, just to see what they offer.

vali

Enlightened
I'm not into music either (only have the very basic account), but the streaming quality of this one is just great. They use Ogg vorbis at ~170 kbps IIRC to stream music instead the typical 128 kbps mp3. Things like grooveshark sound crappy in comparison.

The artist selection is good enough and you get a "similar artists" suggestion and make it a good tool to find new music that don't have big money machines behind.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not into music either (only have the very basic account), but the streaming quality of this one is just great. They use Ogg vorbis at ~170 kbps IIRC to stream music instead the typical 128 kbps mp3. Things like grooveshark sound crappy in comparison.
See, I don't think that matters. In my experience, what drives media sales is content and convenience. Quality and price are secondary parameters. Unless price and quality are not completely off track, they do not matter. They get trumped by content (the shop/service need to have the stuff I like) and convenience (how easy is it to get the content).

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unlikely. I like to "own" my music, and most songs are available(legally) from Amazon for a buck, instantly downloadable and high bitrate. Then I can put it on my MP3 player, take it with me in my vehicles, listen around the house here at home while I'm not connected to the internet, take it out to my shop, etc. If I want to stream music, I'll use Youtube or Pandora for free.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
I doubt I'll bother with Spotify; the thing I like about Pandora is with its "Music Genome Project" database, it's actually introduced me to artists I hadn't known about and actually like - it's the ONLY music recommendation engine that's had any success at doing so. Granted that Pandora is (because of the ridiculous distinctions in copyright law) an "internet radio" service instead of a "streaming music" service, but the difference really doesn't bother me.

Now, if Spotify or some similar service were to LICENSE Pandora's music recommendation technology... that could be interesting.

konig

Newly Enlightened
Spotify invites

I have 17 invites to share with you. If you want one post your email address in this thread.A tipp, whrite the address without @ to avoid spam.

jasong911

Newly Enlightened
Re: Spotify invites

yo, Konig! I would love a Spotify invite. Do you need a Google+?

jasonmill_at_gmail.com

Thanks, Konig.

Last edited: