Small LED Torch Advice (Fenix, EagleTac or Jetbeam..or something else?)

ledtorchfinder

Newly Enlightened
Morning,

I've come to your forum in search of help to find a suitable LED Torch. It's to sit in my car for general night time activities, hooking the boat up at night, rummaging through the boot, or emergencies!

I've googled and read reviews, and while they all seem pretty positive, I haven't seen any clear winners. There also isn't anywhere around me where I can chin-wag in a retail shop.

I'm after a small torch (10mm to about 14mm in length), which is waterproof (submersible), dual mode (high of around 2hrs runtime and low of around 100+), relatively drop proof, 220+ lumens and around USD$85 for the torch. This is what I've gathered over a day of Googling. You can tell I don't know anything about torches. I did find the following, Am I on track, or are there better ones out there?

•*Fenix TK12
•*EagleTac P20C2 MKII
•*JetBeam BC20

I love the look/size of these torches, but the battery life concerns me on some (I'm not keen on rechargeable batteries).

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thank you.

Ishango

Enlightened
I'm not an expert on battery life on the torches you mentioned. For the size, quality and battery life you mentioned, I was thinking of the Fenix PD30. It runs at about 200 lumens for at least 1.5 hours. And has multiple other modes (Strobe, 10 lumens (126 hrs) -> 67 lumens (17 hrs) -> 124 lumens (8 hrs) -> SOS).

I bought one this year and I like it a lot. It really is one of my powerhouse lights and is really though. And the pricing should be at about $65.

Last edited:

ledtorchfinder

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your suggestion. I've added the PD30 to my list and it stacks up well against the others. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on the torches I mentioned?

Thanks

ledtorchfinder

Newly Enlightened
I'd look for the real thing - a diving/nautical light. Google "barbolight barracuda" for an example of a lithium powered one.

Nap.

Thanks Nap, but I think that will be overkill for me. It's just so I can rest it in the boot while winching in etc.. Don't do it that often. Just want to make sure it was a waterproof.

I never knew that there were so many options out there, it's really mind blowing. In Sydney, Australia I've yet to find a store I can walk into and just check them out - doing it all online is quite frustrating I can't pick one up!

What's a reliable online store in the US that ships internationally? I'm favouring the PD30 but every AU online shop seems to be out of stock.

Thank you

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P20C2 is a great light but the PD30 is a classic, it has great runtimes and the multiple UI and outputs are great for preserving the battery's, a set of battery's can last what seems like forever in a PD30. It is a solid well proven light, get one.

Napalm

Enlightened
The P20C2 is a great light but the PD30 is a classic, it has great runtimes and the multiple UI and outputs are great for preserving the battery's, a set of battery's can last what seems like forever in a PD30. It is a solid well proven light, get one.

I think he can't go wrong with any of them. I refrained from making a recommendation as I personally favor Eagletac (for build quality and being customizable / user serviceable) but it's more of a "tactical" kind of light, which is not the intended use here. So I kept my mouth shut :)

Nap.

ledtorchfinder

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. Off to goinggear.com now. Now I see there is a PD31! Is that better or different to PD30? So confusing!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD31 is slightly larger so you can also use 18650 sized Li-Ion rechargeable battery, it's good if you do want to use 18650 but if you only plan to use CR123's get the PD30.

ledtorchfinder

Newly Enlightened
The PD31 is slightly larger so you can also use 18650 sized Li-Ion rechargeable battery, it's good if you do want to use 18650 but if you only plan to use CR123's get the PD30.

I think I'll get the PD31. Using the CR123 seems it's better in duration - and like you say a bit larger which I like!

Perfect. Thank you. Looks like postage is either more than the torch or take 6 weeks! I'll keep hunting - help that I've chosen a torch now. Thanks

Last edited:

Napalm

Enlightened
I think I'll get the PD31. Using the CR123 seems it's better in duration - and like you say a bit larger which I like!

Perfect. Thank you. Looks like postage is either more than the torch or take 6 weeks! I'll keep hunting - help that I've chosen a torch now. Thanks

Try to google for an Aussie dealer, it seems that there are some:

http://www.legear.com.au/

Nap.

ledtorchfinder

Newly Enlightened
Try to google for an Aussie dealer, it seems that there are some:

http://www.legear.com.au/

Nap.

Thanks Nap. I have tried a few (there isn't many) and they are either out of stock of PD30, don't stock the PD31 and/or prices/shipping are quite high! Always the way when you get excited and want something now. I'll keep googling. ww.fenixtactical.com is quite cheap with the aussie dollar. I'll try and find out their shipping times!

mmace1

Enlightened
I've yet to find a store I can walk into and just check them out - doing it all online is quite frustrating I can't pick one up!

What's a reliable online store in the US that ships internationally? I'm favouring the PD30 but every AU online shop seems to be out of stock.

Thank you

The physical-store situation isn't any better in the US! For reliable international shipping - 4sevens.com is extremely fast/reliable. That said, they mostly only sell Quark/Fenix lights. Their shipping takes about 7 days after ordering to E. Asia, in my experience.

All of your requirements are actually pretty standard for quality 2xAA torches is the thing!

The only maybes are length (is 16mm too much? At that point- you've included all the 2xAA lights). And lumens - 220. If you say 180+, then *everybody* quality is onboard, and I doubt you can tell the difference in a quiz between 180 and 220. The human eye doesn't register light in a linear manner; that is - 110 lumens won't look 10% brighter than 100. It'll take quite a bit more to notice the difference. E.g. - I have two lights - one on is 26 lumens. Another is 38 lumens on medium. Neither I nor anyone else can see an obvious difference.

What kind of batteries do you want to use? If anything other than AA (rechargeable Eneloops are around the best), it's a bit expensive...or in the case of li-ion 18650 - slightly expensive setup and a bit dangerous in terms of not causing a slight explosion.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have not already check your private messages.

Napalm

Enlightened
Thanks Nap. I have tried a few (there isn't many) and they are either out of stock of PD30, don't stock the PD31 and/or prices/shipping are quite high! Always the way when you get excited and want something now. I'll keep googling. ww.fenixtactical.com is quite cheap with the aussie dollar. I'll try and find out their shipping times!

LOL. Please be aware that Canada Post was recently on strike and has now a huge backlog:

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ost-slow-mail-110706/20110706/?hub=OttawaHome

Nap.

ledtorchfinder

Newly Enlightened
You guys are brilliant - even giving industrial strike information!

@mmace1 thanks for your feedback. Length is a sticking point as it needs to be packed away in the car. I'll use the cr123a to avoid any minor explosions.

I think I'm sold on the PD31. However, every time I go to an online shop, they seduce me by throwing up ads of sexy torches and I have to spend 20 minutes googling it!

mmace1

Enlightened
If you're OK with the cost of replacing cr123a batteries, then sure - PD31! Fenix in general is (I think) among the top brands for this website, and top in the world for quality. And especially price/quality. No going wrong with Fenix.

I'm unsure why 14mm vs. 16mm is significant...(typo in my earliest post - all 2xaa lights are under 16*mm*). Is this 2mm length difference significant to you?

If you don't mind spending $125 or so (plus more for Eneloop batteries - ideally). The Fenix TK41 is about 30% the weight of a 3D maglite...and...well, bright enough for anything you want. On highest, as bright as a car headlight.

Regardless, check out various beamshots here: http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php

Sure...only the li-ion 18260/etc. batteries are big on explosions! Personally I prefer Eneloop 2xAA: The batteries can be used anywhere else, are rechargeable, and are safe. Nothing any other format can fully claim.

ledtorchfinder

Newly Enlightened
Thank-you for the reassurance on the Fenix brand.

140mm was max for me, I really prefer it to me be smaller and the PD31 is 120mm which is perfect - I like it to fit in a snug place in the car and I have a massive Maglite already. (Is maglite a dirty word around here? I've never seen them mentioned anywhere, not even review sites).

$125 is too much (just had a baby and he's chewing up all my money!) and I guess I assumed "aa' torches were weaker - not sure why - but that's clearly an incorrect view!

I guess there is a probably another forum for this, but any no-go battery brands? Or are they pretty much the same and will do the torch no damage? TENERGY, Titanium, Powerizer... or alternatively to fenix suggest a brand?

Last edited: