My new baby - Maelstrom S12

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
Well, it just arrived - my new S12, with 2 batteries and charger. Yay!

This won't be jammed full of beamshots and scope graphs I'm afraid, more like the humble musings of a flashlight user. It's also not even dark here yet and I'm still waiting for the battery to top off - that should happen around, oh, September by the looks of it.

Initial impressions - a bit mixed, I have to say. It's a good-looking light, it's well made, the quick test I did with the battery (as shipped) proved that it was bright, and when I have a fully topped cell and it's dark outside I'm sure it'll make me giggle. I love the single cell format, the tint looks good, and I'm not a throw-junkie so I suspect this will be all the grunt I'll need in a handheld light for quite some time.

But the tailcap is disappointing. It really does seem like a bit of a cop-out. I know the current is the big thing here, but by all accounts we're talking well under 10A, surely that isn't beyond human engineering?! The light could easily be an inch or so longer and still be tiny (in fact it might make it a more comfortable handful). As it is, we basically have a $150 state-of-the-art light that is turned off by partially dismantling it.

Using the dot on the tailcap, the only landmarks to align it to are the '4sevens' and 'Maelstrom' logos on opposite sides of the barrel. Done up tight, and powered on, my dot falls about halfway between the two. Undo it a quarter turn and it aligns to the Maelstrom logo and operates well enough as a momentary. There's no positive action or click of course, maybe just 1mm of free-air spring movement until the disc makes contact with the barrel. Undo it a full half-turn more so that it aligns the 4sevens logo and it still works as a momentary, just with another mm or so more travel, but the cap is becoming noticably loose at this point (although there is still a couple more turns before the O-ring is exposed).

A further half-turn is required for lockout, so the dot is aligned once again with the Maelstrom logo. From here, two more full turns exposes the O-ring, then a further 2.5 turns will see the cap off.

So it seems that the simplest way for me to 'understand' this light is to do it all the way up, then back it off half a turn or 1.5 turns depending on whether I want momentary action or lockout. Make no mistake, this is a twisty light with a kind of cheap momentary feature added.

The problem with momentary action, of course, is that it is quite an exposed button and can therefore easily be activated unintentionally. The spring is stiff, but you wouldn't want to put the thing in a bag in this condition. The holster seems to recognise this, with it's 'head down' design. Head down, the momentary button is protected by the stiff flap of the holster. Head up, the flap doesn't quite close, although it would with persistence if that was important to you - but then you'll be activating the pushbutton against the bottom of the holster. The holster is a serious, sturdy bit of kit that I'd imagine is perfect for a LEO etc. Head-down storage (and the wide mouth of the holster) make the light quite easy to grab and return with one hand, but it does make it a bit bulky for the size of the light.

So at this early stage I'm certainly not disappointed with the light, in fact I already quite like it, but it is screaming for someone (ideally 4/7) to design a decent clicky for it.

I'll post again after I've used it a bit (maybe I'll even try and take some beamshots in the Aussie bush).

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
Thanks for a more detailed description of a very cool light, some times a pic is NOT worth a thousand words.
I heard somewhere that 4sevens is thinking about a clicky switch for the S12/X10 lights, that would bring up my interest to higher levels!!

Ardillakilla

Newly Enlightened
I find I don't use the dot or any other landmarks. I just turn the tail cap clockwise until the light turns on and then back off until it goes off. At that point, the momentary switch works fine and the tail cap is nowhere near exposing the O-ring. I suspect your battery is longer than mine. Batteries were out of stock when I ordered so I ordered non-4Sevens batteries. They look similar and have the same specs but lack the protection circuit, which makes the battery longer.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S12 has an SST-90 and the lumens will vary dramatically eventhough its regulated. The vF of those SST-90 emitters can be as bad as my personal S12 which did 3A vs. others who got 4~4.5A off that 4Sevens cell (yes, and thats being regulated). That made my personal S12 only and barely 690ish OTF lumens vs. others who got 800 OTF and then some.

The big issue with tailcap clickies is it adds resistance. Resistance will steal those highly priced lumens real quick.

Currently; the only switch I know off that can handle 4~5A is the McClicky/Brass combo, but I have melted those at only 4.5A on other peoples lights while testing SST-50 emitters.

I had a 10A rated switch in a 2D Mag build and it was about 3/4in thick, so really big and way to big for a S12 size light.

Maybe a Fetie switch should do the trick.

I want the switch that gives me the most reliability and most OTF lumens. A twistie ZeroTolerance would be my #1 choice.

bigC

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
Thanks for the impressions Brewer. This light doesn't get a ton of use due to the awkward UI, but it probably has my favorite beam. It just seems to muscle through tree limbs and brush. I would love to see an S12 2X26650(for extended run times) with the side switch of the ZL SC600.

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, no bush shots yet, but here's one from inside an otherwise pitch-black and unnavigable warehouse, taken with a handheld compact camera.

The end wall is 70m (230ft) away:

P1050820.jpg

I think it demonstrates just how useful the 'spill' is - I really love this beam. It is the ideal mix of hotspot and spill, it still throws magnificently but without the keyhole effect you get from pure throwers. I love it. I'm also really happy with the tint.

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
I liked the beam on the S12 so much that it made me crave another SST-90 light. I pulled the trigger on the Trustfire X6 which arrived a couple of days ago. I am still not sure if it(X6) was a good purchase or not. I have a bunch of batteries charging as we speak. I am waiting for darkness to compare these lights; Maelstrom S12, TF X6, EagleTac M3C4, and another light I just received, the UltraFire UF-980L.:devil:

Nokoff

Enlightened
nice beamshot brewer, that's perfect for what this torch can do. :thumbsup:

I had different reasons for letting mine go a few months ago. I didn't like the tint, the big hole in the hotspot, and accompanying star-shaped corona. It also got too hot too quickly, so I'm sure lumens dropped accordingly. I also didn't personally like where the low UI setting was at. I thought the light felt cheap and thin-walled too for some reason.
I support the 26650 format and applaud 4Sevens for that despite their supply issues since those can be fixed,

LEDburn

Enlightened
The S12 has an SST-90 and the lumens will vary dramatically eventhough its regulated. The vF of those SST-90 emitters can be as bad as my personal S12 which did 3A vs. others who got 4~4.5A off that 4Sevens cell (yes, and thats being regulated). That made my personal S12 only and barely 690ish OTF lumens vs. others who got 800 OTF and then some.

BigC, have you tried a burn in yet with your S12? If so what did the current draw increase to and how many more lumens are you putting out?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigC, have you tried a burn in yet with your S12? If so what did the current draw increase to and how many more lumens are you putting out?

To the OP. Glad to see you like the S12. Its my absolute favorate and best size/26650 light to date. Imagine double the lumens in the already incredible S12!!!! Its possible and there is a thread that shows you how to do so too.

At the moment it does 3.67A at the tail off un-protected 26650 cell.

EDIT***** I been running 4 NiMH C Tenergy Cells to burn in the LED*******************

The bezel gets smoking hot at 1min and the body and tail get hot too. So, heat transfer is working wonderfull.
d2637a76.jpg

49fe9a78.jpg

b2445711.jpg

fnsooner

Enlightened
To me a stock S12 is like a Corvette running with 6 cylinders....

True. Unfortunately the Trustfire X6 is the same. It(X6) is now my most powerful LED, but it was a bit underwhelming for what I was expecting for a sst-90 light. I figure it was putting out about 1200 lumens from my testing last night. I guess to get a light that pushes the SST-90 you have to put out the big bucks or modify.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
True. Unfortunately the Trustfire X6 is the same. It(X6) is now my most powerful LED, but it was a bit underwhelming for what I was expecting for a sst-90 light. I figure it was putting out about 1200 lumens from my testing last night. I guess to get a light that pushes the SST-90 you have to put out the big bucks or modify.

Well even an SR90 onlt put out like 1550 :-( It would be nice if someone can build a 2X 26650 host with a driver that push an SST90 10 at least 10A ;-)

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
Hi BigC, I saw the DD mod thread while I was waiting for my S12, but I don't think I'll do it.

If we are going to use car analogies, you'd have to say that the S12 is like a top-of-the-line modern SUV: it's powerful, reliable, comfortable, safe, fairly economical, capable in floody off-road conditions but with plenty of performance to give it a bit of throw on the highway.

Sure I could rip out the ECU and the airbags, lower the suspension, modify the exhaust and fit Recaro seats, but then I'd have a very different beast with all sorts of gauges to keep an eye on, and I may not be its only driver. I'm aware that the engine is being woefully underused in its stock config, but I like it that way. Less likely to let all the smoke out when I really need it.

Having said all that, I will almost certainly get a second one, I have a feeling it will be tough to replace once 4Sevens stops making them.

If I get a third one, maybe I'll hotrod it for giggles. :D

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
OK, I couldn't resist taking some beamshots...

Each of these posts is 6m (20ft) apart - so the furthest post is about 60m (200ft) away. The tree is probably about 100m (330ft) away:

S12a.jpg

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
More fence posts. These ones are 7m (23ft) apart, which makes it about 130m (430ft) to the 'almost furthest' tree - the more distant one you can only just see in this shot would be a good 40m (130ft) or so further than that, about 170m (560ft) away.

I should also point out that there was some light rain around that night (which probably explains the bluish haze in the hotspot) and that all of these shots were taken with a Panasonic LX3 handheld. It's probably one of the best low light compacts you can get, but it is still a compact camera, with a much smaller sensor than an SLR.

S12b.jpg

Last edited:

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
In fact, taking these beamshots made me realise that the S12 has potential as a photographic tool, so I went 'hunting' in my backyard:

S12c.jpg

S12d.jpg

Wild kangaroos usually don't let people get anywhere near them. It turns out that if you shine a bright light at them, they can't see you, so they don't run away. In fact, a few times I was looking at the back of their heads as they were a lot more interested in their own silhouette being projected onto the trees behind them, which I found pretty funny:

S12e.jpg

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
Looks like an awesome light but I think that having to twist the cap in order to turn it on is just a stupid design.

Yes, but when 4sevens makes a proper clicky for it, it will be awesome! :devil: :dedhorse:

Last edited: