Will there be a JetBeam RRT-0 with the Cree XM-L LED

MvM

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought the JetBeam RRT-0 with the R5 LED in addition to the RRT-0 R2 with up until today has been my EDC light for almost a year.

Now there is already a newer version called the S2.
However, since a lot of companies are upgrading to the Cree XM-L LED, I am wondering if JetBeam will be coming out with the RRT-0 with the new and brighter LED.

I love their lights, but I am not buying a small upgrade (R5->S2) if there will be a even brighter XM-L version in the near future

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-0 S2 is a "minor" update of the R5 - the S2 being 7% brighter; apparently you may not notice the difference.
No point getting S2 if you already have R5.

I'm sure Jb will come out with an RRT-0 XM-L.
They're just a bit slow.

The XM-L is already in the 3/4 size twin 18650 M1xm and BC40.
The XM-L is now in the semi-compact single 18650 size: 3M, PC25, and PC40.
It is only a matter of time before the XM-L reaches the semi-compact single 18650 RRT-1 & RRT-2.
Then finally the single CR123 true pocket sized RRT-0...

Thus, the big XM-L emitter starts off in the bigger flashlights first, because they have big reflectors to maintain the throw.
Then it makes it's way into the smaller flashlights where the reflector and head size is kept constant to maintain the compact size.

Pöbel

Enlightened
With all the hype for more Lumens with an XM-L, always keep in mind that throw get's worse with these mods/upgrades (except if the reflector gets bigger). While the XR-E tends to be really throwy and the XM-L much more floody, the XP-G is a good combination of both worlds while still offering very good efficiency.

I would personally always opt for the XP-G on a light that small.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the XR-E tends to be really throwy and the XM-L much more floody, the XP-G is a good combination of both worlds while still offering very good efficiency.
I would personally always opt for the XP-G on a light that small.

That's a very good idea you have..

sassaquin

Enlightened
Bought a RRT-0 last month and had a choice between the R5 and S2 for about the same money. I opted for the R5 even though the S2 was newer as I had read too many negative reports of greenish tints on S2s. The RRT-0 is my nightstand light and I am very happy with it with the exception of the overly squishy tailswitch.

Too many chase lumens without regard for beam quality and shape.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dealer here in Sydney emails me out the distributor news they get from Jetbeam (they now know I am a JB head).
The last one they sent me about 4 weeks ago did not have any news about the RRT-0.
It did say RRT-1 & RRT-2 will be both XM-L in the next run. They also sent me pictures of the new RRT-15 (XM-L 453lm) & RRT-21 (XM-L 428) The RRT21 looks like is a cross between the RRT-2 & the PC25.
The RRT15 looks like a cross between the RRT1 & BC40 with PC25 tail cap. Not sure if I like the way they are going with the looks of these new lights.

The best thing about these lights is they both have an infinite selecting rings just like the RRT-0 which i just love. To have an XM-L with that function would be good.
Sorry but last time I posted proto type photos up I got in trouble and was asked to remove them.

cheers

:naughty:

http://indafoto.hu/autoart/jetbeam_nitecore/page/2

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great scoop pics Rat.
You have great connections.
I'm not sure if I like the looks of any of their latest XM-L's either..

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
... as I had read too many negative reports of greenish tints on S2s.
The RRT-0 is my nightstand light and I am very happy with it with the exception of the overly squishy tailswitch.

Neither my TC-R2 S2, nor my RRT-0 S2 has greenish tints.
My RRT-0 S2 has a bright cool white tint.
While the TC-R2 S2 on it's own has a cool white tint, but back to back with the RRT-0 S2 and the RRT-2 R5 then the TC-R2 S2 has a warm yellow tint, seemingly less bright.
Apparently the RRT-0 R5 has the longest travel tail end switch, but I have never owned an R5 to test?
I do know that my RRT-0 S2 has a slightly shorter travel tail end switch than the TC-R2.
My favourite switch is the RRT-2 R5 - the tail switch has perfect travel, and nice and light!
The TC-R2 and RRT-0 S2's tail switches are a bit too heavy and tiring on the thumb to depress...

e747

Newly Enlightened
with the exception of the overly squishy tailswitch.

Did yours come with a spare switch cover? Mine had a spare switch and switch cover which was almost half the height of the installed one. After installing the shorter one the switch was perfect! The standard switch covers you can buy at DX also fit.