What LED tower gives the largest hotspot in a KT1/KT2/KT4 ?

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried seoul P4, K2 TFFC, and XR-E so far and have been underwhelmed with their performance relative to the MN15 LOLA. Are there any recommendations for other LEDs? What are your favorites? I'm considering building an XM-L version next as it's larger die size makes me hope that it has a larger hotspot :D

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
See here for a photo of a XML Tower module

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?307230-Surefire-XM-L-Tower-Module-DD

The KT4 would not be a wise choice for installing a LED Tower especially if you are
running it for extended periods. The thermal heat path from a KT4 is less than
ideal. The Tower module sits in the reflector, the reflector sits around the shock
absorbing foam+ silicon gaskets therefore the heat from the module has no where
to go.

The KT1/2 is a one piece design, the reflector and the head is a single piece of
aluminium therefore the heat will transfer from the module to the reflector
then on to the head therefore allowing the heat to escape.

Save the KT4 for incans :naughty:

if it is output your looking for then a direct drive XML other than that I would pick
a neutral XPG driven at 1500mA

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Towers that use a Cree MC-E or XM-L will give you a larger hot spot than towers using a Seoul P4 or Cree XP-G.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tx101 and Justincase, thank you. Fortunately, I don't own any KT4 heads after I was turned off from the limited spill cutoff by the shock foam. I do love my kt1 and SRTH.