AA lithium batteries in a 6C Maglite

doubleganger

Enlightened
I like to keep a 6C mag in my vehicle for its 'deterrent' characteristics. Since I have other lights that I use when I actually want *light*, and temperature extremes cause the alkaline batteries to swell and leak long before the batteries should expire or are used up, I put lithium AA batteries in a piece of hose to feed this light. 6 AA lithium cells and a kpr112 bulb makes for a very useful amount of light. I haven't tested for run time as I'm not willing to waste $12 in batteries but I imagine it will be plenty for my purposes. I also like the noticably lighter weight.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a pretty nice setup. I find the 4C swings pretty well in my grip.

Wilkey

dedsqwirl

Newly Enlightened
Will it float?
I did a 2D to 3 123 conversion today (sprinkler tubing) and it won't float at all but I think it doesn't sink as fast as it used to.

doubleganger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dedsqwirl said:
Will it float?

[/ QUOTE ]
Havn't checked but seriously doubt it. I did once swim in the ocean with a minimag. It didn't like the salt water that leaked in one little bit. Yeah, I was young and even dumber than I am now.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dedsqwirl said:
Will it float?
I did a 2D to 3 123 conversion today (sprinkler tubing) and it won't float at all but I think it doesn't sink as fast as it used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh heck no, it won't float. I think you'd have to load a Mag up with negative gravity to make it buoyant enough to float. Howver, I think it might float in molten sodium or lead.

Wilkey

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaser, yes, but physics tells us kinetic energy is mass times velocity SQUARED, so a lighter bat swung faster makes the most home runs of all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think sometime I'll try using the small size bubble wrap instead of sprinkler tubing or fuel line hose and that should provide enough buoyancy to float a Maglight with the lighter batteries, don't you think??

Thanks.

doubleganger

Enlightened
I seriously doubt that even an empty maglite will float, but that seems the logical first thing for you to try. If it won't, then it's game over anyway. Obviously, anything (short of helium) you put it the light, bubble wrap or whatever, will make it even heavier. Also, based on my limited experience mags are not waterproof, just weather proof and will leak if submerged for very long.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a quick way to estimate if a Mag will float.

1. Estimate the volume of a Mag. It's cylindrical so the calc should be an easy one.

2. Weigh an empty Mag.

3. Calculate the mass of water of an equivalent volume to the Mag.

If the Mass of the Mag exceeds the mass of an equivalent volume of water, there is no way it can displace this volume of water before being fully submerged. This is Archimedes' principal. My guess is that the mass of the Mag far exceeds the mass of the water displaced. Even loading it up with helium isn't going to help.

Wilkey

doubleganger

Enlightened
Les see now, it's been soooo long. (pi)(r**2)(L) for the body + the same for the head.
What the heck, If you just have to know use the scientific method and just try to float it in a tub of water. A quick dunk isn't gonna hurt it.
I predict it will sink like a brick.