DeWalt 18v flashlight conversion

wamcneil

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
I've got an old DeWalt 18v gooseneck worklight tha I'd like to convert to LED. Has anybody done this conversion? Advice?
I suppose one option would be to build up a 3x Cree with a reflector, heat sink and drivers from DX or similar.
I found an old thread on the subject, with multi-emitter flood lamp assy pictured below, still available on ebay. Would one of these be the best approach?

Hot Linked Image removed - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

wamcneil

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I guess I just didn't do a good job of searching. I found a recent thread on the fusion48 emitter assy that makes it look pretty good. Went ahead and blew my ebay bucks on it, so I'll see how it works out!

celler

Newly Enlightened
I have the fusion48 and like it, it puts out a great deal of light. It does have one downside - weight. Its heavier than the simple flashlight bulb the unit was designed for. Thus, you must carefully place and crook the gooseneck in order to avoid it tipping over. It can be a real PITA sometimes. Sharper bends seem to work best. YMMV.

wamcneil

Newly Enlightened
That's good to know, I'm looking for a lot more light. Got that great big battery, might as well have it pump out some light! I never would have considered that balance issue... maybe I should have built up a multi-emitter xm-l setup from DX parts... I was afraid that would be too throwy though

Last edited: