Sparks first impressions and pics

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Hey guys, I just picked up a couple of the new Sparks, a neutral SL5 and neutral SL6. I just wanted to share some quick, unscientific and unofficial first impressions. Each of these was bought to compare to and compete with a specific light I already owned, for pocket time. My current favorite "little light" is the Zebralight SC51w, and my current main light is a custom P60 I built featuring a Nailbender neutral 2.8amp 2-mode XM-L with OP reflector. Here they are:

p549761167.jpg

p499359569-4.jpg

SIZE
Pretty self explanatory per the photo, you can see the SL5 is quite a bit longer than the Zebralight. I actually prefer the extra length, feels better in the hand and doesn't really affect carry/pocketspace as it isnt any fatter than the Zebralight.

Regarding the SL6, I was surprised by its smaller stature. I like this also as it makes it more pocketable than my custom P60. I'm more likely to carry it.

FEEL/ERGONOMICS/OPERATION
First of all I was pleasantly surprised by the finish of the Sparks. I thought they looked kinda cheap in the photos at sbflashlights.com... I had planned to have them both cerakoted similar to that P60, but I'm going to keep them the way they are, they look & feel nice.

I bought these because they have the side clicky (and neutral tint). This is just a no-brainer. This is where my thumb is when I carry a flashlight. I have already declared I'm not buying any light that doesn't offer neutral tint, and I might add side-clicky to that ultimatum. It just works and feels SO MUCH better. Thank you Spark for giving us side-clicky neutral goodness. They feel nice to hold and nice to click (RIGHT WHERE MY THUMB IS, YAY!!)

The UI on the Sparks is ok, but not great. The only great UI is Zebralight. Zebralight's UI means you can always turn the flashlight on to the mode you want at the time. It is unrivaled. Score one big point for Zebralight.

PERFORMANCE
The Zebralight SC51w is brighter than the SL5*, and the Nailbender is brighter than the SL6. When I say "brighter", I mostly mean they have a brighter hotspot/better throw. But in both cases the Sparks just don't seem as bright, in general, in this comparison. And they definitely lose the throw contest in both cases. I tried both alkalines and Imedions in the SL5 & SC51w... Score another big point for Zebralight.

*Side note on my SL5 that may be relevant, it occasionally does this annoying flash of bright when turning it on, before going into the lower mode its supposed to. I have contaced my retailer, SBFlashlights, for an exchange or refund. This is unacceptable for a light this expensive.

CONCLUSION
Spark SL5 Vs. Zebralight SC51w. Did the Spark take the coveted pocket spot from the SC51w? No.. In fact this would be no contest if the Zebralight were as cool looking as the SL5. I really like lights that look cool, and unfortunately the SC51 looks like my grandmother's Cadillac. But its UI, side clicky, beautiful beam and tint, superior brightness, cause me to overlook its cheesy gold finish and fins. Its just that good. If I could only put the SC51w's guts in the SL5's beautiful body...

SL6 Vs Nailbender XM-L. The Nailbender is so much brighter/throws so much farther that for serious outings the Spark will stay at home. However I so love the side clicky of the Sparks that the SL6 will steal the spot in the bedside table for routine house chores. They are both great in different ways.

Cheers to Spark for making neutral lights with side clickys! The ultimate!!!

Chrisdm

Enlightened
No comments on my first attempt at a review? It must be so good I've left you all speechless... :)

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mini-review, although I still don't see the comparison of the SC51 to your grandmother's cadillac. ;)

*Side note on my SL5 that may be relevant, it occasionally does this annoying flash of bright when turning it on, before going into the lower mode its supposed to. I have contaced my retailer, SBFlashlights, for an exchange or refund. This is unacceptable for a light this expensive.
What battery type is being used when this occurs? The SL5 series features mode memory, both temporary and permanent. This is dependent on the battery type being used.

When using a 14500 Li-ion battery, the light will have permanent mode memory. This means that any mode the light is turned off in (even in turbo) will be remembered and come back on in when the light is turned back on.

When using any other battery type (not a Li-ion), the light has a temporary mode memory. If, for example, the light is turned off while in turbo mode and turned back on within 3 minutes, then the light will resume in that mode. If it is turned on past the 3 minute mark, then the light will default back to low..however a preflash is visible when this occurs.

If this is what is happening in your situation then this is completely normal. :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nice little preview.
I had a chance to play around with the SL6 at a recent CPF meet, both the neutral and cool white tints. REALLY nice feeling. Very small and light to carry. Don't quote me on this because its not an official BC sphere test result, but IIRC these lights were making ~450L OTF in his sphere.

I am hesitant to purchase one though because I have had poor results from electronic switches. 2x Zebralight failures (one water leak and another that can't activate the strobe) and a finicky Fenix MC10 which automatically turns on when subject to static charge from a pocket or backpack.

So I am waiting these out a bit, with two E-switches on each.

But they ARE really nice 18650 lights.

I was REALLY impressed with the Sparks XML 18650 headlamp. Its freeky having ~450 Lumens shine from your head, from something that small. One of the company reps was at the meet (Jason I think was his name) answering technical questions. He was very friendly and open to design suggestions. We suggested a pocket type clip so the headlamp could be used as a MOLLE attachment, or body mounted light.

Last edited:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
When using any other battery type (not a Li-ion), the light has a temporary mode memory. If, for example, the light is turned off while in turbo mode and turned back on within 3 minutes, then the light will resume in that mode. If it is turned on past the 3 minute mark, then the light will default back to low..however a preflash is visible when this occurs.

If this is what is happening in your situation then this is completely normal. :)

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I was aware of the memory issue with using non-Li-ion battery types, but was not aware that these suffer from pre-flash. Furthermore, I wouldn't call it "normal", even though I have confirmed with sbflashlights that this unfortunate symptom occurs in all SL5's... While it could be forgivable in some less expensive lights, they are asking $80 for such a small light with this simple and fundamental flaw? I have little lights that cost a third what this one does and they do not suffer from pre-flash. If they are going to ask such a hefty premium for this light it should be better. The Zebralight is smaller, brighter, and less expensive with no pre-flash, so my LS5 is being returned today. Well, the only reason I'm returning it is the preflash. It would be worth $80 without it, its an otherwise great light.

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Did you try the SL5 with an 14500? I have an ST5 190nw and it has a "super/turbo" mode while using the 14500 Lion. Double click while in any mode to get into "super/turbo". Just want to see if the SL ans ST have the same functions. I have not experienced any pre flash with my ST5.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Did you try the SL5 with an 14500? I have an ST5 190nw and it has a "super/turbo" mode while using the 14500 Lion. Double click while in any mode to get into "super/turbo". Just want to see if the SL ans ST have the same functions. I have not experienced any pre flash with my ST5.

Its my understanding that the preflash may not occur when using 14500s. But at that price I shouldn't have to buy a special battery as a workaround for a fundamental shortcoming. It would be acceptable if the light cost half what it did.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
I'm with you on "cool looking lights" I love them and agree they look very sharp! Thanks for the review, pics, and info :)

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an ST5-190NW and it's a nice little light. Emphasis on the 'little'; it's amazing to me that it's as small as it is. I also have an H51w which I do prefer, because I like the UI better, and the beam profile is actually narrower than the Spark's. I never thought I'd see a light with a wider beam angle than a ZL! That said, I prefer the Spark when I'm doing more active things at night, like cutting wood, putting out the trash/recycling bins, hiking, etc. I find the ZL better for when I'm doing less active stuff, like reading in bed or in the tent while camping, sitting around the campfire, or working on small items at my workbench.

I've been considering both a neutral SL5 and an SL6. I too doubt they would displace my SC50w+ as my primary EDC, but when biking I prefer a floody light on my handlebars, and it sounds from your description like either of the SL's would be better for that than most any other light.

Thanks for the review!

jake25

Enlightened
Nice little preview.
I had a chance to play around with the SL6 at a recent CPF meet, both the neutral and cool white tints. REALLY nice feeling. Very small and light to carry. Don't quote me on this because its not an official BC sphere test result, but IIRC these lights were making ~450L OTF in his sphere.

I was REALLY impressed with the Sparks XML 18650 headlamp. Its freeky having ~450 Lumens shine from your head, from something that small. One of the company reps was at the meet (Jason I think was his name) answering technical questions. He was very friendly and open to design suggestions. We suggested a pocket type clip so the headlamp could be used as a MOLLE attachment, or body mounted light.

Hey kramer that was me
wink2.gif
. Just to clarify in BigC's sphere the ST6-500CW made 430 OTF lumens, and the SL6-800CW made 600 OTF lumens . Both held steady at those figures. Since the SL series lights use XML emitters they really don't throw far. Only way to know the true brightness is to do ceiling bounces. Makes a big difference especially if you compare a XPG R5 (ZL51) to a XML T6 (Spark SL5)

I really like lights that look cool...

+1 The SL6 is a great looking light. I love the transition from the body to head/bezel. I've been reading a lot about the Spark's headlamps the last few days trying to make a decision on which one to buy. But I made a point of NOT looking at their flashlights. Then I came across this thread and..... too late another light added to the want list. Oh-well.....still, a cheers for your first review. :thumbsup:

~ Chance

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and pics. I agree with you about the side clicky vs tail clicky. I was going to build a C2 but that project has been halted. I will probably just get a ZL SC600 now.

Draven451

Enlightened
Chrisdm,

Thanks for the photo's and review. Your post is such good timing as I have a Spark SL5-220cw hopefully waiting in the mailbox.

I have not seen very many reviews of these lights on the forum so it's nice to see someone that has provided a direct comparison to Zebralights. I have a Zebralight sc600w which has become a favorite of mine in the 18650 cell size. It will be nice to compare the fit/finish and functionality of these two similar brands.

Good job! :thumbsup: