Which battery to replace 2x123?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have two 2x123 lights which I'd like to use more, and would if I had a single-cell option for them. The first is my Quark RGB and the other my incandescent Streamlight Scorpion. If I get a couple 17650's I assume they would work, but don't understand very well how a light that is made for dual cells operates when reduced to a single, larger cell.

Anyone care to weigh in and offer some advice?

fyrstormer

Banned
It will only work properly if the driver circuit can handle a single cell. Most 2-cell lights are designed to operate on 5-9V, whereas a single rechargeable Li-Ion cell provides 2.8-4.2V, and a single lithium primary provides ~2.8-3.2V. Only a few lights use drivers that can handle both voltage ranges.

If the light you're using is designed for 2 primary cells, then its voltage range is probably 4.5-6.5V, which is still a bit too high to run properly on a single Li-Ion cell, and way too high to run properly on a partly-discharged Li-Ion cell.

The incandescent light most likely doesn't have a driver at all, which means it will just run a lot dimmer than it's supposed to. The Quark may not turn on at all, but if it does, it will probably also be a lot dimmer, and the mode-switching function may not work due to the input voltage being too low.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Some of the incan gurus told me a while ago not to under-drive my direct driven Surefire P60, ROP and 1185. I can't remember the specifics but its bad for the filament and reduces lamp life.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
The high voltage Quark head for the reg./tact./turbo series handles 3 to 9 volts I believe. I would think perhaps the RGB would be along the same lines? I use a 17670 in my Surefire G2X with no problems or loss of lumens (as far as I can detect).

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the incan gurus told me a while ago not to under-drive my direct driven Surefire P60, ROP and 1185. I can't remember the specifics but its bad for the filament and reduces lamp life.

Correct. It's hard on your lamp when you run batteries way down as well.

Erzengel

Enlightened
Or You buy a 9V bulb and use two 16340 rechargeables. I've read somewhere that You shouldn't use IMRs for normal bulbs because they deliver too much current.