Which Kerberos is better, Quad XP-G 5.6A or Quad XP-G 4.2A?

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Working up my first build and trying to find the best balance between throw, flood and not burning my hands in a smallish host (Solarforce L2 or L2m) I am a noob and welcome any advice such as which forward clicky switch can best support ~5.6A. The budget is tight and a Kerberos alone pushes the limit, but hey its a Kerberos!

Darvis

Enlightened
Hey man,

I own both... get the 4.2a as your first, it's not that much less bright than the 5.6 and is much easier on your equipment, less heat, better runtime, etc. With the 4.2, you can use a McClicky modded Z41...

At 5.6a, things change and you are looking at a zero res mod in the tailcap.

Don't underestimate the whole package needed for this quad, you'll need a solid host that's bored for 18mm cells- the solarforces will do, but the swicthes may not take it... so, an upgraded switch like a McClicky, and I highly recommend using IMR 18650s in this. You may want to work your way up to a bored out 6P over time, or an Oveready TL65 with a P60 adapter... verrry solid for good heat transfer. Also, be sure to snug fit the drop in with aluminum foil.

Other than that, you will, and I mean really will, be impressed.

Last edited:

Rod911

Enlightened
I have the 4.2A version and the setup I use is the following:

- L2P body
- A001 head
- S6 tail cap
- LiCo cell

I have found the A001 head helps immensely with cooling. I recently got an L2T and I've put in a Linger Special in there. When I power the two of them at the same time, the L2T gets warmer much quicker than the A001. Before anyone thinks that there isn't a tight fit in the A001, there is a strip of aluminium foil there for a snug fit (same goes for the L2T). Also, using the A001 head, I have been able to keep the light on for 15 minute, unaided by any other form of cooling, before I need to grab it and use my hand to draw the excess heat.

So if you can't get your hands on a Cryos Bezel, the A001 is a good budget alternative. As for the switch, the standard S7 was not reliable, so I'm hoping the S6 can stand up to the 4.2A current. If not, I'll replace the S6 with a McClicky or mod the S7 with Oveready's ZeroRez upgrade kit.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Darvis and Rod911, thanks guys! Rod911 does the host have to be an L2P? I have not found them at Solarforce-sales, only L2's and L2T's except on e-bay. I like the oveready TL65 idea a lot. I had looked at/ fantasized about an oveready TL65 body, with the dogbone McClicky switch and a Cryos Bezel for the Quad Kerberos. All I have been able to search out is L2 variants and had figured on using one of those and the S6. Now I'm searching for an A001 bezel...

Darn addiction! Need more OT.

Darvis

Enlightened
Yes, more OT.. then you too can fuel the addiction:

1231pfk.jpg

2a45m0.jpg

The first one on the far left is an M91 which isn't to shabby in the output department either...

Last edited:

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
I'm getting dehydrated from drooling over your builds. Those look exactly like what I'm envisioning... Only Oveready is out of stock in the TL65 body tubes as well as the nice switches Cryos bezels you landed. What is the body and switch of your light in the top picture, second from the left? By the way did I mention I'm green with envy. Truly nice torches. Someday...

Rod911

Enlightened
The A001 bezel works with Surefire and Oveready bodies. IIRC though, the Solarforce bezel rings are not interchangable with Surefire and Oveready bezel heads due to different threads. Solarforce-sales.com is currently is out of stock of L2P bodies. You might want to try out lighthound.com and sbflashlights.com if they have any.

I was going to go the complete Oveready route when I was making my Kerberos purchase, but I just couldn't justify it to myself the cost of all the bits and pieces. In the end, I went with the budget route, despite the fact that the drop-in itself was around four times the cost of the Solarforce body and bezel!

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Rod911, I think I'm in the same situation and tax bracket as you. En route to lighthound and sbflashlights now.

PS. Bill, small world. I'll be driving through your neck of the woods tomorrow. Love this heat, well actually not really.

Darvis

Enlightened
That is an oveready bored and custom bronzed HA Z2 of which I have 2, they are some of my most prized hosts. Dan considered them seconds for flaws I think only he could see, because they are darn nice looking in person...

Anyway, what you're seeing is where the body goes from slim to fat at the top for the grip, it takes a standard Z41 or Triad.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if you're going for a multi-led dropin with decent runtime and something that won't burn you hand, then you should consider his triple instead of his quad. I don't know if he still makes them, but he had a triple drop-in specifically made for the solarforce l2 body. It's physically bigger so you'll actually get better heat sinking. It's run at a lower current so runtimes will be longer. It's a triple and not a quad so it's cheaper. It still uses a multi-led optics so it still looks cool.

The only thing I'll say is that all of these multi-led emitters really don't give good throw, but that's the nature of the beast. I honestly think for a budget minded setup with a good mix of flood and throw, the solarforce l2 body with a nailbender xml dropin is the best setup.

Ultimately, it's what you desire the most. Welcome to flashaholism.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Badtziscool, I think you have hit on something there. The overeadys and the mac's customs sure are sexy and cool, like an audi R8 when my budget is Ford Fiesta. Not to mention I really like a balance of throw and flood. Like a thrower with an OP reflector. I'll just have to go solarforce like you say while I save up for a Oveready-Kerberos-Cryos-Triad flame thrower of pure awesomeness in a forest green cerakote. After my wife was kind enough not to say anything (her body language was shouting) I suspect for now I will go all solarforce maybe with their XM-L T-6 820 lumen in a 5 mode. Prefer three mode but I'm jonesing for a new light with eyeball searing power and high portability. You know how it is.