Which flashlight should I get?

Amix

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently just using a Maglite 3D and it works nice but it's too bulky to bring around with me (e.g., I wouldn't want to commit that much space/weight in a suitcase for it if I'm travelling - I want something closer to the general size of a Maglite mini) and I feel like I could probably get something much better by spending some more money. I'd also like to get a light that can be very bright, because that seems like it'd be fun to play with and show off. The ideal cost would be $100-$300, although <$100 or $300-$400 would be okay too a light in that range is the best fit. It doesn't matter to me what kind of batteries the light uses.

From looking at the Amazon bestsellers and briefly looking around these forums, here are some lights that I've been looking at and what my general impression of them is:

SureFire E2D LED Defender - seems very nice and a good size and light output, but I'm kind of afraid that the sharp edges would cut through my pockets, and also there's a small child in my household and it seems like they could hurt themselves by accident if they got their hands on this.

Surefire LX2 LumaMax - I read some reviews that suggested this light isn't particularly intuitive to operate, e.g., it takes time to get it to the mode you want. Also, ideally I'd like a light that can stand on its back end for lighting up a room, and this doesn't look like it could.

Fenix TK35 - Seems like it's a little bigger than what I'm after, and also it can't stand on its back end.

Jetbeam TCR2 - Looks cool and the light adjustment wheel also sounds really cool. Also, looks like it can stand on its back end which is a plus. However, when I search for this on YouTube it's mostly people complaining that it flickers, and also it seems like the battery life is intended more for it to be a collectors item than a primary light.

Given my descriptions/thoughts, can anyone recommend a good flashlight for me? :)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Amix and welcome to CPF,
Well, there are a HUGE number of choices in the price ranges you listed. First, I would recommend that you try to take your time and NOT be in a hurry with the selection of your first light.

There are many things to consider, and if you spend some time reading here on CPF you'll begin to see the amazing array of lights that are available, and, more importantly, what the differences are in features that might make one light more suitable for you than another.

More than likely you'll want at least 2 lights. It's always a good idea to have a spare, so you might start to think about your budget in those terms. Also, you'll find that many CPF members prefer to use rechargeable batteries, so consider allocating a small portion of your budget for some rechargeable batteries and a charger as well.

Now, rather than recommend a specific light, I'm going to get you started with some reading to help you sort through all the recommendations that other CPF members will certainly have for you.

First is the CPF welcome mat. This is full of helpful information and will begin to acquaint you with the terminology we use to discuss lights. Don't worry about reading or understanding the whole thing, just browse through it to start with:
CPF Welcome Mat:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?277224-The-Welcome-Mat-a-FAQ

Next is an excellent resource to learn all about batteries:
Battery University:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

And finally, some excellent flashlight review sites to help you compare features:
http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html
http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews%20UK.html

That will get you started, and don't worry, you will be getting plenty of suggestions for lights. Have fun!

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot. If you learn how to use the Google Search box located at the top left of most CPF pages (and leave it checked for "CPF Only"), you'll find it an excellent way to locate discussions on CPF about particular lights that folks mention.

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
1.) Your budget is high...really high. So few limits there. At one time Surfire lights were the best (and cost several hundred). Now a days, high-quality Chinese manufacturers of high (perhaps not *as* high?) durability, and more modern/bright/efficient lights have taken over. Sub $100 is enough.

2.) All the best modern 2xAA lights will have close to the same maximum brightness. This is a function of having the same voltage (3.0v, supplied by two 1.5V AA cells).

3.) The current most (though different opinions abound of course ) favorite 2xAA light here is the Quark 2xAA regular. http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_305&products_id=1620. It's liked for: Beam pattern, well-placed brightness levels (5 of them), having one level be a very-low-low brightness, and in every other way - being at the very least a good to great light.

For my own situation - for travel. I went with the Quark Mini 2xAA. About half the weight & size of the regular quark. Seemingly better efficiency. Downsides are 3 modes instead of 5, and due to it's small size - it can't focus light as well, so it can't project light as far (perhaps can only project 45 meters instead of 100? - just a guess). Enough for travel though.

This link, if slightly old, is a good comparison start on 2xAA lights: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Nitecore-Olight-ITP-Eagletac-Jetbeam-Mag-...

Last edited:

aimxplode

Enlightened
Like most of my recommendations, I would recommend the Jetbeam RRT -0. It is the aluminum version of the TCR2 that you were looking at but with much better runtime at 260 lumens. It has the variable output ring and runs on a single cr123a. This thing feels incredibly durable and something you can rely on.

For your backup light, I would recommend a small twisty light such as the Quark mini 123. You want something that uses the same batteries as your primary so that you will only need one type of spare battery.

Total price is around $140 with the mini being 40 and the RRT-0 being 100.

Last edited:

vali

Enlightened
Since you are used to a 3D, any 2xAA that are recommended in this forum would be good enough.

Of course, you can get really bright thing in a small package but most of them will use li-ion. Read about dangers/proper use before.

Amix

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone!

More than likely you'll want at least 2 lights. It's always a good idea to have a spare, so you might start to think about your budget in those terms. Also, you'll find that many CPF members prefer to use rechargeable batteries, so consider allocating a small portion of your budget for some rechargeable batteries and a charger as well.

And finally, some excellent flashlight review sites to help you compare features:
http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html
http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews%20UK.html

I was sort of imagining my maglite would be the spare for times when I need 2 lights. I do have rechargeable eneloop AA batteries for my digital camera, but I wouldn't mind getting just a box of batteries or some setup with lithium batteries either. The review sites do look quite helpful, especially that last link where there's lots of pictures of different lights, so I can look through and pick the one that looks like what I have in mind.

Like most of my recommendations, I would recommend the Jetbeam RRT -0. It is the aluminum version of the TCR2 that you were looking at but with much better runtime at 260 lumens. It has the variable output ring and runs on a single cr123a. This thing feels incredibly durable and something you can rely on.

The Jetbeam RRT-0 does look very suitable. I looked it up on BugOutUSA and they offer it with AA Extender for $12, and also a choice of OP vs SMO reflector. Do you know if the AA Extender is just a separate add-on piece that can be taken on and off? Do you use it? Also, what's better - an OP or SMO reflector?

1.) Your budget is high...really high. So few limits there. At one time Surfire lights were the best (and cost several hundred). Now a days, high-quality Chinese manufacturers of high (perhaps not *as* high?) durability, and more modern/bright/efficient lights have taken over. Sub $100 is enough.

I don't see that many chinese-sounding flashlight company names here or on Amazon. Are Fenix, Streamlight, Jetbeam, Quark, etc, "high-quality Chinese manufacturers" ?

Since you are used to a 3D, any 2xAA that are recommended in this forum would be good enough.

Of course, you can get really bright thing in a small package but most of them will use li-ion. Read about dangers/proper use before.

I didn't realize there were dangers to li-ion, I thought it'd just be something extra to buy and keep around. What's the primary concern there - are they more likely to leak? When people here have collections of flashlights do they typically store the batteries separately for safety?

Roger999

Enlightened
Surefire LX2 LumaMax - I read some reviews that suggested this light isn't particularly intuitive to operate, e.g., it takes time to get it to the mode you want.
Just a note on the LX2, it does not take time to get to the mode you want, press lightly for low, press hard for high, the most simple dual-mode UI around.

At this point you can get a light with 250 lumens output @ $20, an XM-L emitter capable of 1000 lumens costs $10. So you can either get a few high end Chinese lights or pick up 1 or 2 USA made lights with your budget.

I'd suggest picking up a high end EDC light such as a LX2 or something from HDS or McGizmo, and also getting a powerful 800lumen+ light for showing off to satisfy your need for photons.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, what's better - an OP or SMO reflector?

It depends on what you want your flashlight to do. SMO is a reflector like your Mag probably has - just a smooth mirror. OP means the reflector is is textured, it will have some little ripples in it (like an orange peel). Have you noticed that the beam on your Mag has a lot of rings in it, and in general looks pretty weird and uneven? SMO reflectors tend to give a less uniform beam pattern, but they will throw the light farther. OP will give you a much prettier and smoother beam, but it won't throw as far as a similar size/shape SMO.

Amix

Newly Enlightened
I just placed an order for a JetBeam RRT-0 (w/AA extender, and OP reflector, since that seems to be the more popular option). From the online descriptions it looks like it's a convenient size for carrying around, the light adjust ring sounds very useful, max 250 lumens seems high enough for everyday use and should be brighter than my Maglite, and it can tailstand.

After it arrives and I get a chance to try it, I'll probably think about whether I'd also want something smaller and more travel sized (e.g., Quark Mini), or something larger and potentially brighter (e.g. LX2, TK35, others?).

I may also order some CR123 batteries soon, sounds like I'll have to be careful there to get the kind that don't explode.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jetbeam RRT-0 is a great light to own. I pocket carry mine everyday with the AA extender plus running on eneloops. For brightness I will run on RCR123 batteries.
I just placed an order for a JetBeam RRT-0 (w/AA extender, and OP reflector, since that seems to be the more popular option). From the online descriptions it looks like it's a convenient size for carrying around, the light adjust ring sounds very useful, max 250 lumens seems high enough for everyday use and should be brighter than my Maglite, and it can tailstand.

After it arrives and I get a chance to try it, I'll probably think about whether I'd also want something smaller and more travel sized (e.g., Quark Mini), or something larger and potentially brighter (e.g. LX2, TK35, others?).

I may also order some CR123 batteries soon, sounds like I'll have to be careful there to get the kind that don't explode.

Lightman2

Enlightened
I'd go with a Quark 2 x AA or an Eagletac P20A2 MK2 and possibly with a new XML LED drop in module.

aimxplode

Enlightened

Stick with any 'Made in US' CR123A's and you will be fine. My current favorite is the Rayovacs that you can get $15 for 12 pieces at BatteryJunction. If you want to buy in bulk, you can get good cells for $60 dollars for 50 pieces at Batterystation. These batteries are Primary lithiums, not lithium-ions, so you toss them when they are out.

On AA's, I think the max output is ~180 lumens, but it seems less than that to me. I primarily run on 123a's, and I just keep my AA extender as a backup incase I ever run out of CR123A's.

Last edited: