Beam shots added! XP-E HEW powered by Lux-RC all in the comfort of an e-series head

foxtrot824

Enlightened
So I have been obsessed with cramming as much light power into an e-series head a possible. After looking at the space constraints of the build I realised that a Lux-RC module would be ideal. It would allow for there to be more of a copper sung as there would be no need for a driver unlike my previous builds.

The mail finally came today. This picture is just a comparison of the size of the Lux-RC module, a quarter that will be used for laundry and a triple board from LED supply.

The plan is to put this into a black e-series bezel and run it off two IMR 123s for optimal efficiency and run time. Updates will be posted as the build progresses.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My next triple mod. XP-E HEW powered by Lux-RC all in the comfort of an e-series

This is going to be interesting. I've always wondered how the output of a triple xp-e would look like compared to a triple xp-g.

Tmad

Newly Enlightened
Re: My next triple mod. XP-E HEW powered by Lux-RC all in the comfort of an e-series

I've been wanting to try those 3ups for some time...might have to if your build turns out like I think it will :)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like an awesome build. I want one too!

Expected price?

foxtrot824

Enlightened

This is going to be interesting. I've always wondered how the output of a triple xp-e would look like compared to a triple xp-g.

I'm not sure if my naked eye will be able to tell the difference between my other triple running XP-Gs (two 4K neutrals and one 6.6K) at 2.8A in parallel and the Lux-RC XP-E 1.1A per die. I'm sure "bright" will be an adjective describing the awesomeness that comes OTF.

I've been wanting to try those 3ups for some time...might have to if your build turns out like I think it will :)

I'd strongly recommend putting a triple in anything :)

Sounds like an awesome build. I want one too!

Expected price?

A lot, these pesky builds always seem to take far more time and energy than expected. I can see why Milky charges the prices he does for his fantastic work. If you are interested in a build shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Disintergrator66

Newly Enlightened

So I have been obsessed with cramming as much light power into an e-series head a possible. After looking at the space constraints of the build I realised that a Lux-RC module would be ideal. It would allow for there to be more of a copper sung as there would be no need for a driver unlike my previous builds.

The mail finally came today. This picture is just a comparison of the size of the Lux-RC module, a quarter that will be used for laundry and a triple board from LED supply.

The plan is to put this into a black e-series bezel and run it off two IMR 123s for optimal efficiency and run time. Updates will be posted as the build progresses.

Very cool! I can't wait to see the finished product!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm wondering if the HEW emitters will give you a larger hotspot than even the XP-G would?

foxtrot824

Enlightened

I'm wondering if the HEW emitters will give you a larger hotspot than even the XP-G would?

From what I've read they seem to have the same 125 degree angle as the XP-G. Time will tell soon :)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, aren't the HEW emitters the ones with the remote phosphors? Don't the phosphors glow to give us the white light? If the phosphors are not right on the die then wouldn't it give the impression of a larger die? That was my line of thinking on this.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, aren't the HEW emitters the ones with the remote phosphors? Don't the phosphors glow to give us the white light? If the phosphors are not right on the die then wouldn't it give the impression of a larger die? That was my line of thinking on this.

I was not aware of these LED being remote phosphor but since you mention it, the LEDs do look very different than the other XP-Es I've worked with. I also did some very scientific testing using blue LEDs to see the whole LED glow under the light not just the square part of the die. If the beam is too floody which may turn out to be the case it will end up on the BST forums :)

foxtrot824

Enlightened

I'm off to see if I can't get the head bored out. Prior to boring one of these head I open them to protect from damaging the lens and to have access from both sides to work on the light. After taking some heat to the bezel I noticed that the reflector looked as if it was pealing. I picked off what I could and let the bezel set in a 35mm film canister full of rubbing alcohol. The final result is this.

Turns out Surefire anodises everything :)

On a side note, the throw as reduced...

foxtrot824

Enlightened

Finally had the chance to bore out the SF head and spin up a snug to my liking for it.
I will have to "mill" a channel in the side of the snug for the power wires before this gem is functional.

Once the build is up and cooking I'll post some beam shots.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking good. Who milled the copper slug for you?

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe your right on this, the phosphor is on the dome on the HEW series instead of the die itself.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast

From what I've read they seem to have the same 125 degree angle as the XP-G. Time will tell soon :)

Cree specs show 120° for the HEW series, not what I was expecting.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

Looking good. Who milled the copper slug for you?

More of my handy work :)

Updates:

After cutting in a channel for the power wires I set off to Arctic Silver epoxy the board to the snug. On high I had a tail cap current measurement of 1.42A on a pair of used but mostly charged IMR 16430 cells.

On the left is the XP-E Lux RC triple and on the right is an XP-G cool white. It should be noted the beam shots are on low which is 2% on the left and that's why the XP-G looks brighter. Some outdoor beam shots to come when it stops raining

In the interest of triples...

Last edited:

foxtrot824

Enlightened

Finally some beam shots! Compared to other lights this light looks like a flood light but I can say that it will light up a backyard or two like day light on hi. This head will most likely be on the B/S/T shortly if anyone is interested.

All of the shots were taken at the same settings as well as camera location.

The control shot for starts

The rest of the shots will be taken in sets of two. One showing a wide shot of the image and one up close.

Good old 2D mag LED for reference

Now for the triple first on hi running two AW750 123 cells. The good people at Lux-RC were kind enough to reprogram the outputs to 100%, 50%, 2%. Because the low is so low I was not able to photograph it at that distance so the shots will be 2 at 100% and 2 at 50%

Now medium

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you have any comparison shots of the XPE vs XPG on 100%? I'd like to see how much improved (if any) the throw is for a triple xpe vs a triple xpg.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

The XP-G triple is driven of a 2.8A driver so each die sees about 933.33mA in a perfect mathematical world where as the XP-E Lux-RC driver is 1.1A per LED, those numbers aside here you are

XP-G 2.8A driver (all in parallel) on hi

XP-E Lux-RC triple

I'm not sure how much more throw is visible but it looks to me a little brighter on the edges of the hot spot. Hard to say either way.