Can't find the light I wanted.. help!!

Uncle George

Newly Enlightened
I know... nearly ever post on this forum is "help me to decide which light"...

I'm seriously stuck and couldn't find a light - or simply blinded by the amount of choices available.

I'm after a flashlight that has the following:
  • Uses 18650
  • Water proof
  • Between a thrower and flood
  • Good reputation manufacturer
  • Stainless strike head, would be a bonus if could tail stand and has stainless strike tail as well. My God I love the JetBeam optional big teeth strike head...
  • 3 modes, easy to access. Hate the programable switch...
  • High +300lum (the higher the better..), Low ~100lum and strobe
  • Halfpress low, Hard press high and other methods for contant on/strobe.

I liked the
JetBeam 3M XML,
JET III M 3M Military R5,
RRT-2 Raptor CREE R5
Fenix Tk21
Surefire defender

I think RRT-2 would be ideal.. but that mode ring seems like the weak link and there have been reports of durability issues after some use.

I'm intending to use this light as self defense, keeping it in the car for emergencies. Strobe and throw bias could come in handy.

Napalm

Enlightened
I think RRT-2 would be ideal.. but that mode ring seems like the weak link and there have been reports of durability issues after some use.

Check the Sunwayman V20C, their ring works, and the T20C, has SS strike bezel and SS tail.

Also Eagletac T20C2, it's a classic of the tactical category.

Nap.

prng

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at similarly sized lights and features. Just out of curiosity, why not the JetBeam 3M XML? I understand that the XM-L T6's do not throw as far and are more wide flood than the XP-G R5. I do like the higher lumen output of the T6's. Is there a huge difference?

I currently have a Nitecore EX11 with an XP-G in it already. I dislike how fast it will eat CR123A's and how small it is. I also dislike the piston activation.

Will I notice a huge difference between the EX11 and a JetBeam with the R5?

I'd like something I can EDC, carry while running at night, and just for normal activities around the house.

Any other suggestions?

You are hijacking this thread. Please start your own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to "build" your perfect light, everything you requested can be had from Solarforce. You could get an L2p body with their crazy aggressive stainless strike bezel and a tactical tail cap with a forward clicky. You could then put your drop in of choice inside for the three levels you want.

Edit Regarding water proof capability, I posted in a thread once before (it may have been wiped out in the CPF crash) but I haven taken a completely stock Solarforce L2P with me on a SCUBA dive down to 55 feet for almost an hour with no issues. I would say that far exceeds most water proof requirements.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
prng, please start your own thread with your question. When you do I will delete your post here.

Bill

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to "build" your perfect light, everything you requested can be had from Solarforce. You could get an L2p body with their crazy aggressive stainless strike bezel and a tactical tail cap with a forward clicky. You could then put your drop in of choice inside for the three levels you want.

Edit Regarding water proof capability, I posted in a thread once before (it may have been wiped out in the CPF crash) but I haven taken a completely stock Solarforce L2P with me on a SCUBA dive down to 55 feet for almost an hour with no issues. I would say that far exceeds most water proof requirements.

+1. This is exactly what I was thinking.

Uncle George

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestions there.

Building my own light seems to be the local way, however I have a small reservation about it.... the weak-link will be me hahaha. I thought durability wise a factory manufactured one would be better that's all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping this light can be my bash round light... while I'll spend more on a trophy light hahaha. OMG, this is my 1st upon discovering the CPF...... maybe I should sell one of my camera lens...

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great suggestions there.

Building my own light seems to be the local way, however I have a small reservation about it.... the weak-link will be me hahaha. I thought durability wise a factory manufactured one would be better that's all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping this light can be my bash round light... while I'll spend more on a trophy light hahaha. OMG, this is my 1st upon discovering the CPF...... maybe I should sell one of my camera lens...

The reason I said "build" in my original post with quotations marks is that all the pieces I was describing will fit together right out of the box with no modification required. It's more like buying Ikea furniture and assembling it than buying pine planks and making a chair. I wouldn't worry about not being able to assemble your light. Also, Solarforce has some good quality stuff. Their L2P host especially seems like a high quality piece. As far as Drop ins go, you could opt for something a little higher end like a Nailbender and rest assured the guts of your light will equal or exceed a factory light's electronics.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great suggestions there.

Hi George :welcome:

The more you can tell us how you will use the light the better suggestions we can give, if you want to EDC the light then maybe the big teethed bezels are not such a good idea, but like anything else that is just a personal opinion yours may vary.

I can tell you what I like and maybe that can lead you to something, for me the best single cell 18650 light is the Zebralight SC600, it does not have an aggressive bezel and the strobe is really a beacon but it's 800lms-small and compact.

You may also want to take a good look at the Lumintop TD15X, it has a good balance of throw and flood and a good reputation for having a solid tint for a cool XM-L. (not to green not to blue)

Uncle George

Newly Enlightened
I've settled on... two lights hahaha.
Going to get JetIII R5 and 4seven Maelstrom G5..

Now batteries.. Both takes CR123A or 18650. Does that mean it won't take 2 x 18500?? I guess the length is different..

Taking 2 x CR123A is better than 1 x 18650 because you can get higher voltage?

Man... I'm thinking to buy a trophy light... C3 that uses 2 x 18500.... I'm trying to avoid having a bag of different sizes of batteries... and 2 x 18650 for C3 is simply wayyy to long.. don't like long shaft..

What do you guys think about TrustFire batteries.. or should I go for 4Seven? Rechargable or single use?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights you're looking at have regulated drive circuits that will generate the same output from both power sources (18650 or 2xCR123) regardless of input voltage. You're really just looking at whether you want rechargeable cells or primary cells that you'll throw away. You could buy a box of primaries for what you'll spend on a couple of good 18650s and a charger but then when your primaries are gone, they're gone.

Regarding the brand of battery, many here have had good experiences with Trustfire batteries but I have always used AW brand rechargeable cells. You can get protected 2900 mAH cells that offer high capacity and the added feature of a built in protection circuit. If this will be your first experience with rechargeable Li Ion cells, protected cells come highly recommended. Also give some thought to your charger. You don't want to spend good money on good cells only to put them in a charger that will damage them.

Regarding the question of battery length, the 3rd and 4th digit in the battery number tell you the length of the cell in mm. An 18650 is 65mm long. Two 18500s would be 100mm long and will not fit in either of the lights you have chosen.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had luck with Trustfire. Buying 18650 batteries and a charger will be a very good investment plus 18650 batteries give you longer runtimes. As suggested AW is a good brand, but make sure you get button top batteries. Also Redilast has been highly recommended on CPF.