Simple question

tnt59

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I would like to ask for your expertise. I'm a french Canadian so please apology for my speaking if I make some mistakes.

The presentation being done lets skip to the subject!

I would like to purchase a new tactical light and the options are so wide I can't seem to decide myself. I already made some searches but I ain't an expert an it's hard to find the best I need.

I saw the checklist tread so I'll use it to guide you trough my expectations.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter. (I live in Canada)

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $150.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

or
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

and if possible one of the two with

____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)

____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Holster (can be mount on a weapon's rail, I play paintball and it will serves me like hell)

I think everything as been said. Hope you can all help me into making my choice!

Thanks to all.

CR123

Newly Enlightened
Hi... it seems that you haven't really answered some of these questions, but left multiple (contradictory) answers standing. Does that mean you don't care? If you eliminate those and just leave a clear list of what you do actually want, people could offer suggestions.