EDC Light (Nitecore 11.2 vs. Quark 123 vs Quark AA vs. PD20)

Bermannyc

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the forums here.

Lately I've been searching around for a new EDC light and I'm not quite sure which one to pick up. I'm looking for a smallish light (obviously) that I can also take camping and for international travel (India, Mexico, China etc.). I thought I was set on the Quark 123 (because of it's lumens and good run times) and then thought that the 123 batteries might be problematic. Then I noticed the new Nitecore D11.2 has good stats (for an AA) in terms of lumens and run time. I was poking around here and saw some concerns of quality control with the light so now I'm a little confused. Any recommendations?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never trusted anything Nitecore published. They tend to inflate all the stats. If you seriously want an AA light, have a look at Zebralight. H51 series for headlamp and SC51 for flashlight. They are the most efficient AA light in the market today I believe, capable of producing 200 lumen or thereabouts using only an Eneloop rechargeable. Do yourself a favor and get the headlamp because it is always nice to have a headlamp when doing certain work where both hands are needed. It doubles as an angle flashlight as well.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
I believe Nitecore's literature on the D11.2. However I don't recommend their piston lights. Funniest part about that comment is my EX11.2 is my favorite edc light. But I had to own 3 and test out 5 others before I found one with a proper working piston/brass ring mechanism. Long story you can search "nitecore EX11.2" threads and "EX11.2.2?"

Definitely check out Zebra. I have an SC51w and pjandyho hit it on the head. This thing is bright and efficiency on AA (especially eneloop) is outstanding. Another AA light that I love is my Xeno eo3 v2. It's super floody, but for the price it's the best built light I own. Welcome here to the madness and good luck!

Bermannyc

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've read here on CPF about quality control problems over a Nitecore in terms of the piston problems and output consistency. It's a bummer too because I like the look of that light and it seems to get good performance for one AA (compared to the Quark AA for example). Maybe I should try to get the D10 used? I know that's a piston light too, but people here seem to really be into that one.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, my D11.2 is more efficient than my H51. At least even on H1 mode with a slightly discharged eneloop in each the D11.2 is noticably brighter on a ceiling bounce test, and at the same time draws less current than the H51, the effect is lessened on the H2 mode where it is slightly brighter again but the current draw is lower on the H51, so efficiency is similar.

The piston is a great feel and design, but can be finicky in how it works. Sometimes (very rarely, although this differs between individual lights) it registers wrong or slightly jams up, although it should be immune to ever wearing out. The ui of the SC51/H51 series is great and very versatile once you get used to it.

Last edited:

Gordo

Newly Enlightened
not to make your life any easier. add thrunight neutron 1A and and Klause ST-10 to the list of potential choices.
I carry my D11.2 more than my PD10 but more because of the size than anything else.

Bermannyc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommends. The Zebralight looks interesting as does the Neutron 1A.

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand why Nitecore doesn't watch the quality control on these lights, I received a D11.2 with a switch problem and quickly returned it for a perfect one and now It's always with me and love it. Great beam pattern and very bright on high and outstanding low. If your willing to go through the trouble of finding a good one It's an outstanding light. Zebralights are a great choice without the hassle, you definitely wont go wrong with one of those.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My Nitecore 11.2 exhibited some strange switching behavior until I discovered that the contact ring in the head was actually not screwed down tight. Just reaching in there with a finger nail I was able to give it almost a 1/4 turn. Now it seems to be better. This light has a very useful UI, with all modes readily available. That said, I probably prefer my SC50w for its tint, side switch, lower low, and size. Either light when working should not disappoint.

Geoff

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've read here on CPF about quality control problems over a Nitecore in terms of the piston problems and output consistency. It's a bummer too because I like the look of that light and it seems to get good performance for one AA (compared to the Quark AA for example). Maybe I should try to get the D10 used? I know that's a piston light too, but people here seem to really be into that one.

Yeah the D10 gets high praise go for it if you can find one. If you could try one of the 11.2's in store then your golden, but I'd never order one blind. And it's frustrating for me seeing how my EX11.2 is the coolest light I've ever owned

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I and a few others had problems with the zebralight SC51 QC also, my emitter came with glue or something melted over the dome. I returned it and it apparently never got there, I asked a couple of times but no follow up in a good few months now, it's just gone.

The D11.2 and SC51 are both great lights, efficient and well built. But buying either has the risk of having to return for another.. I'd suggest picking which you like more but getting from a local dealer if any do decent prices, then an exchange will take much less time.

Bermannyc

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm going to go for the D11.2. I'll buy it from going gear so if there's a problem I can always return it for another or exchange for the Quark AA which is the same price. I can't really stand any QC problems but I guess I'll take the chance. I wish I could try it in person, but even here in NYC it's hard to find at a local place. Thanks for all the guidance.