My quick thoughts on the new Thrunite Scorpion V2 Turbohead

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I just got Thrunites V2 Scorpion w/turbo head and wanted to jot my thoughts down. I usually only write reviews on products I love or hate as those are the ones I feel warrant mention. The scorpion is neither for me. Bottom line I really like it but at the same time there are lots of things that could be improved.
Before I comment on the scorpion let me just say I was looking for an "XL size EDC" with as much bang for the size as I could get. I also wanted multiple output levels for use in all kinds of tasks. I wanted a simple UI AND the ability to choose which output level the light was coming on in BEFORE turning it on. I'm not very dainty with my tools and so I need a rugged, dependable light as well.

So here are my thoughts on what's hot, what's not and what could be improved with the scorpion.

What's hot!
- It has amazing power for it's size! I was just comparing it to my 2,100 lumen copper varapower with my wife and of course the varapower is brighter but the scorpion is so impressive for its size! It beats the 65 watt, H4 bulb on my motorcycle (though that made me think I should throw a relay in there).
- Very nice gradual transition from hot spot to corona with no donut.
- Good throw. I would have preferred a bit more but I sure can't complain. For my "XL EDC" category I was looking for a light with a +/- 1.8" bezel (Deree DBS size). This is smaller than that but it does throw great for a 1 5/8" bezel. FWIW I can carry it around without noticing its there in a SAP pocket.
- Clip is good and I'm not worried about losing the light.
- The reflector seems to work really well with this LED.
What's not!
- The UI is really complicated. To make matters worse, the spinning tailcap adjuster, spins just from brushing it. I haven't yet figured out how to access the lockout mode.
- Tail cap button FEELS kind of chinsy. I'm not saying it is but it doesn't inspire confidence. The light can come on very easily while in my pocket. My thumb brushing against it while walking for instance can turn it on/off multiple times as well as changing the modes. On a long walk I just did I probably turned it on 4 of 5 times and it went from firefly to strobe any number of times. Put it in your pocket and go for a run and you may see your pocket strobing etc.
- Output levels are pretty limited for an "infinitely variable" light. Of course there is no such thing as infinitely variable. I know this disagrees with others #'s but I'm going to guess that the firefly mode is about 3 lumens and the lowest of the "infinitely variable" ramping stage is about 60 lumens. For reference on the firefly, my varapower has 3 modes which are lower; it falls between the moonlight and low on the Maelstrom G5 but much closer to low than the moonlight. I was concerned it would be enough light to read in bed at night. Its far more than enough and in fact bother's my wife.
- Ramping mode is very slow. It takes quite some time to go from low to high. It does blink when it reaches both the highest and lowest settings.
Random UI thoughts
As long as you don't loosen the metal tail cap, in the "infinite variable mode" it comes on at the last level you left it in. I've got my light set up so that it comes on at the lowest level which I'm guessing to be 60 lumens. (Selfbuilt on his test said his was 37 I believe. My guess is there is not that big a difference between lights high modes but there are big differences in low modes sometimes. I've noticed when he tests 2 of the same lights sometimes there are huge differences in the 2 different samples of the same lights moonlight or low modes.)
In trying to make my light as practical as possible I've got it set to come on at the lowest setting of the infinite adjustable mode. Thus when the mode ring is all the way counter clockwise and I turn it on it comes on at 60 lumens. Next click clockwise it comes on in firefly mode, next click is momentary strobe (have to hold the button down) and finally is turbo. I'm fine with the jump from 60 to turbo; if 60 lumens isn't quite bright enough for the task I'm doing, 700 will not be too much. Consequently I don't bother with the ramping mode – it's too slow. Of course it's important when you don't want to hold the button down anymore. I basically treat the light like a selector ring light with the exception that in order to change output levels you have to turn it off then switch and then turn it back on. So with the selector ring all the way counter clockwise, as I turn it clockwise it goes from:
Medium (60 lumens), Low 3 lumens, Momentary strobe, Momentary Turbo (700 lumens).

It does seem to be a bit large of a jump between firefly and lowest adjustable; and I could could go for a lower low than the firefly as well.
For those wondering once you have the light turned on in either firefly or adjusting/infinitely variable mode you can spin the tail cap ring all you want and it won't change the mode until you turn it off and turn it back on.
Improvements
I think everything about this light is amazing with the exception of the chinsy feeling tail cap and the extremely complicated UI. If this light had a selector ring like a Fenix TA21 or a Jetbeam RRT1 it would be awesome! A 4 sevens Maelstrom G5/X7 UI would be great.

Keep in mind I love this light except for the UI, but just for fun, I had to put together a scenario of what its' like changing output levels on this light vs a selector ring light.

Good selector ring light – moonlight is all the way left, high all the way right; even a stoopid monkey in a panic - in a firefight, can figure out what output level the light is going to come on in. Need a bit more or less? Turn the ring lower or higher; watch it get brighter or dimmer.

Scorpion infinitely variable – First you set the tail cap selector switch in the infinite variable mode. Was that all the way left, or 1 click over from the left? It doesn't matter – just turn the light on and if you got it wrong, turn it off and carefully count back the correct number of clicks. You do remember the 5 settings correct?? OK… now we are in the right tail cap switch position – turn it on again. Good!! Oh is it flashing? You must've bumped it… no problem just turn it off and then turn it back 2 more clicks to the left (or was that the right). What's that? You can't see… got stars in your eyes…. Ok now that we are in the infinitely variable mode turn it off and turn it back on again. Don't like the output level – just hold the button down until it gets to where you like it. What it turned off? Oh, sorry, you need to know (very important this!) when you turn it on in the infinitely variable mode you can't take your thumb off the button until it gets to the output level you are shooting for. (NO!! You can't have a level below 60 lumens!) If you turn it on in that mode and take your finger off when you go to adjust it it will turn off.

Another advantage to set modes over infinitely variable is guestimating your runtime. You learn your light and you know approximately how many lumens you need for what task. 60 lumens with night adjusted vision is brighter than 600 lumens with shrunken pupils. Just saying that if I was night hiking on a well marked trail and I had a selector ring with a 4 lumen mode and it didn't seem bright enough I'd know the fault was my eyes not having adjusted not too little lumens.

If thrunite can't do the selector ring some smaller changes I think would help would be to speed up the ramping levels, offer a version with no strobe, have glow in the dark markings for the different modes.

Ruggedness
This is one of the most important factors to me in a light and I can't believe I've already had it 2 days and haven't even dropped it yet! I'm not going to go out of my way to hurt it, but I'll update this section as stuff happens.

js82

Newly Enlightened
Maybe this should be in the scorpion review thread. I think other people who are looking at the scorpion would appreciate seeing this there.

BTW, someone mentioned there is an issue with water resistance. Have you tried getting it wet yet?

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I had a hard time finding lockout too. The inf variable setting is all the way "soft left", then you give it a little force left again to get it to lockout. I actually like it once i got it as it feels as if it does actually kinda lock, like it coulnt accidentally unlock.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I had a hard time finding lockout too. The inf variable setting is all the way "soft left", then you give it a little force left again to get it to lockout. I actually like it once i got it as it feels as if it does actually kinda lock, like it couldnt accidentally unlock.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I had a hard time finding lockout too. The inf variable setting is all the way "soft left", then you give it a little force left again to get it to lockout. I actually like it once i got it as it feels as if it does actually kinda lock, like it coulnt accidentally unlock.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I had a hard time finding lockout too. The inf variable setting is all the way "soft left", then you give it a little force left again to get it to lockout. I actually like it once i got it as it feels as if it does actually kinda lock, like it couldnt accidentally unlock.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
If it's the same as the Gladius you push the button half way in before turning to the lockout position.

. . . the lowest of the "infinitely variable" ramping stage is about 60 lumens.
That's quite disappointing and makes the variable ramping mode fairly useless. The Gladius goes from 80 Lumens to 0.8 Lumens - a range of 100:1. If the Gladius could do this back in 2006, without using PWM and with no discernible tint shift, how come the Scorpion can only manage 10:1 ?

Chrisdm

Enlightened
If it's the same as the Gladius you push the button half way in before turning to the lockout position.

That's quite disappointing and makes the variable ramping mode fairly useless. The Gladius goes from 80 Lumens to 0.8 Lumens - a range of 100:1. If the Gladius could do this back in 2006, without using PWM and with no discernible tint shift, how come the Scorpion can only manage 10:1 ?

The next click over is "firefly mode" or something like that, giving you a quick click to ultra low. I don't know how low it is but its so low you may have to look directly at the LED to see if its on.

schmanto

Newly Enlightened
BTW, someone mentioned there is an issue with water resistance. Have you tried getting it wet yet?

I just tested the water resistance of this light. I put the light in a cleaning bucked filled with water while it was in high mode. Left it about 30 minutes in it. Changed modes etc.. No problem at all. Worked fine. Maybe i will test it in a pool soon.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The next click over is "firefly mode" or something like that, giving you a quick click to ultra low. I don't know how low it is but its so low you may have to look directly at the LED to see if its on.
I realise that, but the problem is, that gives you nothing between 60 Lumens and firefly, which is generally the range in which it would be most useful to have the ramping adjustment - for indoors and close-up work for example.

And if I've understood the descriptions correctly, it appears that you have to switch the light OFF before you can adjust the brightness, which again takes away from the usefulness of having a ramping adjustment.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I realise that, but the problem is, that gives you nothing between 60 Lumens and firefly, which is generally the range in which it would be most useful to have the ramping adjustment - for indoors and close-up work for example.

And if I've understood the descriptions correctly, it appears that you have to switch the light OFF before you can adjust the brightness, which again takes away from the usefulness of having a ramping adjustment.

I just ran mine here in the predawn and really looked at the low settings for you. I don't know if its 60 lumens, but the ramping low is very low, typical of being useful for something like making coffee in the kitchen before dawn. Not that this light is made to do house chores, but if you must, between that low and the firefly mode you should have all the low you need around camp. Also, when the light is on in ramping mode, a simple click and hold begins the ramping sequence. The only other infinitely ramping lights I've owned were Nitecores, and this system works better than those, mostly because of the control dial. It gives you lots of options with all of them quickly and easily accessible, which is simply what I look for in a good UI.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks for the help on the lockout! You guys are correct!

I was just camping in the jungle over the weekend with a bunch of guys - we use it to fish and so I can confirm it is waterproof!

I love the light and didn't want to check it for you all but at the same time I know I can't be depending on a light with a great beam and lots of power if it's not waterproof.
We were walking around in calf deep river water shining the light at fishes and shrimp usually about 6" under the water.
I did change modes under water as well which was fine and for those that don't know that often is an achilles heal for waterproofness.

Have yet to drop it or do any impact test - I'm sure it will naturally happen but I'm not pressing the issue. This is the longest I've probably gone without at least dropping a light - that could be attributed to the generous knurling. I like it and would equate it to a brand new Olympic bar and the gym. Also the fatter head and tail keep it from accidently sliding out of your hand.

My personal opinion is that it is the most impressive light for the size I've seen. For example my varapower almost matches the SR90's lux while significantly beating the lumens and its much smaller. The scorpion is much more impressive (to me and the 12 guys we went camping with) than the varapower for its size!

As to the 60 lumens being the lowest low in the ramping mode my guess is these lights are not all the same. I agree with moonshadow that ramping is most useful in that stage that doesn't exist.

****Wait hold the press!!*****

I just smacked the head pretty hard (as in medium buff guy pounding an 8d nail) and it seems just fine!

Excellent product that could use lots of improvement in the UI in my opinion.

Just curious anyone know if there are legal reasons for not using a magnetic control ring UI like the RRT1 or TA21? Are those patented? Can you change modes on the RRT1 while the light is on or do you have to turn it off like the scorpion?
Thrunite if you make a control ring version I'd but several... and I wouldn't be sorry I bought this one. I'd be happy to have contributed to 1 step closer to the best "XL EDC light".

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

Mine's pretty bright on firefly to be looking right into it. I was deep in the jungle miles from any artificial light last night with cloud cover and noticed this; I could read a flat black racing number on my dirtbike from about 50' away on firefly where it was hard to see even the bike with it off. With the varapowers low, low I had to be 3' away. How's this for referance - it's much lower than the lowest setting on my TK15 and much brighter than the moonlight on the Maelstrom. Varapower are not very consistant on the lower lows so that's not such a good referance.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

I'm sure somebody smarter will chime in here but I was thinking that was a tradeoff for driving the emitor so hard - not being able to get the low/low very low.

I personally can't imagine anything beating a control ring with a half dozen well spaced outputs for someone who needs fast, dependable, predictable access to several different output modes.

Technically I suppose the scorpion goes from 740 lumens to 3 lumens so theat is a ration of 250ish:1 :) it just that it doesn't fill in all the gaps. Was the gladius really able to stop on all lumens inbetween ie 2,3, 7 etc?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The ramping on the Gladius isn't completely smooth - there are visible steps in brightness - but there are so many levels that effectively you can stop at any level you want. Ramp from min to max takes about 4 seconds.

What I really like about this system as opposed to a front-mounted control ring is that it's all operated from the tailcap, and thus very easy to use one-handed. A very useful UI.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Mine's pretty bright on firefly to be looking right into it. I was deep in the jungle miles from any artificial light last night with cloud cover and noticed this; I could read a flat black racing number on my dirtbike from about 50' away on firefly where it was hard to see even the bike with it off. With the varapowers low, low I had to be 3' away. How's this for referance - it's much lower than the lowest setting on my TK15 and much brighter than the moonlight on the Maelstrom. Varapower are not very consistant on the lower lows so that's not such a good referance.

On second look, you're right. However the greater point for me is that this isn't the light you buy if you want to look at things 3 feet in front of you :)

HKJ

Flashaholic
The Scorpion 2 has a range of about 40:1 in the variable mode and I estimates the lowest setting to be about 20 lumen. The Firefly mode is much lower, i.e. below 1 lumen.
I have compared it to a few other lights in one of my Beamshots.

js82

Newly Enlightened
I just tested the water resistance of this light. I put the light in a cleaning bucked filled with water while it was in high mode. Left it about 30 minutes in it. Changed modes etc.. No problem at all. Worked fine. Maybe i will test it in a pool soon.

Thanks for testing it for us. It can probably go as deep as the other lights. I think it was a fenix that was tested beyond a depth of 50ft.

The main weakness is probably the plastic control ring. I don't think you can run over the flashlight with a truck and have that piece of plastic survive.

I can't wait to receive my scorpion.