Diffuser material: Comparison of DC Fix vs Spark frosted lens?

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone give me a qualitative comparison between the diffusing "power" of DC Fix versus the Spark frosted glass diffuser provided with the most recent ST5 and ST6 headlamps? Even better, beamshots? I have the Spark frosted lens, but I wonder if I'd be more happy with DC Fix.

Thanks for your help.

Ted

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the recent spark offerings in HL and flashlight (18650 NW models). The diffusion lens provided totally turns the light into pure flood. It was too extreme for me, so I used DC Fix on the standard lens. The result is more of a "directed" flood, a bit better throw and more concentrated in the middle. I prefer it. DC Fix blows tape out the window; more diffusion, better results. For a milder diffusion, I would go with Writeright instead of tape. Tape blocks some output, DC Fix doesn't, comparitively. (DC Fix blocks a couple of percent, per integrating sphere CPF measurement).

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the recent spark offerings in HL and flashlight (18650 NW models). The diffusion lens provided totally turns the light into pure flood. It was too extreme for me, so I used DC Fix on the standard lens. The result is more of a "directed" flood, a bit better throw and more concentrated in the middle. I prefer it. DC Fix blows tape out the window; more diffusion, better results. For a milder diffusion, I would go with Writeright instead of tape. Tape blocks some output, DC Fix doesn't, comparitively. (DC Fix blocks a couple of percent, per integrating shere CPF measurement).

Is Writeright something one can get locally? What is it? Does it diffuse less than tape?

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn, that's exactly the comparison I needed, thank you. Gcbryan, Writeright was a product marketed to the Palm user crowd to put on the touch screen. It was supposed to make the stylus behave less like a nub of plastic on a slick screen, and more like pen on paper. It has some surface texture, which probably explains why it diffuses some light. (I've never used it as a diffuser, but Phaserburn indicates it's less diffusive than tape.) I see it's still available on Amazon, I haven't seen it my area (San Francisco Bay area) in a while.

Ted

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn, that's exactly the comparison I needed, thank you. Gcbryan, Writeright was a product marketed to the Palm user crowd to put on the touch screen. It was supposed to make the stylus behave less like a nub of plastic on a slick screen, and more like pen on paper. It has some surface texture, which probably explains why it diffuses some light. (I've never used it as a diffuser, but Phaserburn indicates it's less diffusive than tape.) I see it's still available on Amazon, I haven't seen it my area (San Francisco Bay area) in a while.

Ted

Thanks. I didn't remember the name but I have heard it talked about before. I believe (and could be wrong) that the version that is now on Amazon (and elsewhere) is clear and not diffusive. The material being spoken of for our purposes I think is not available or only from someone on the Marketplace who has a stash. I think I'm right about that.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Ah, interesting. I have some, somewhere, that I used for my old Palm, but I don't remember exactly what it looked like. Entirely possible there were different variants, I seem to remember mine looked like Scotch tape.

Ted

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been vacillating between the clear lens with DC fix and the frosted lens with my ST5-190NW. I've currently got the frosted lens in it, and think I'm going to be staying with it.

I find it does reduce the output somewhat, but I can live with that. Even with the frosted lens, it's brighter than my H51w on L2, which is too bright for 'moonlight' mode use. I think the beam is still a 'directional flood' but more so than with the DC-fix. There isn't any real hot spot in it at all, but it is brightest in the center, gradually dimming as you move toward the edge of the beam.

One thing I have noticed, is that the spread of the Spark is wider than my ZL; it literally fills my entire field of view when I have it on. I also find the extra strap makes it more secure, and so it's better for more active uses than my ZL. Because of the narrower beam of my ZL, and since I got the Spark, I find I tend to use the Spark more for outdoors kinds of things, and the ZL for indoors things.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Hey, B0wz3r, can I ask for a clarification on what you said there - I think what you are saying is that your ST5 is more floody with DC-fix and more of a spot with the Spark frosted glass lens, do I have that right? This is the opposite of Phaserburn's experience, so I'm afraid I might be misunderstanding something. Thanks for the clarification.

Ted

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, B0wz3r, can I ask for a clarification on what you said there - I think what you are saying is that your ST5 is more floody with DC-fix and more of a spot with the Spark frosted glass lens, do I have that right? This is the opposite of Phaserburn's experience, so I'm afraid I might be misunderstanding something. Thanks for the clarification.

Ted

No, sorry I wasn't more clear... it still has some spot with the DC-fix, and no definable spot that I can see with the frosted lens, but it's not evenly distributed light with the frosted lens either. It is brightest at the center and gets dimmer as you move toward the edges of the beam.