Surefire lens cracked after fall. Pics!

newless

Newly Enlightened
Last night I dropped my E1B Backup off a friends 2nd floor deck.
I don't know the height, 10-12 feet maybe. It landed on gravel and cracked the lens!
Must have just land on the wrong angle.
It just doesn't seem to be that high of a fall to crack the lens. I was totally shocked when I picked it up.
I've carried this everyday since the beginning of the year and love it.
Now being a Canadian and hearing about $80 dollar brokerage fees from Surefire using UPS, I don't know if I'll send it back. I might just throw it in a drawer and forget about it.
Here's the pic, not all the scratches are from this fall by the way. It's fallen many time onto my ceramic floor. Scratches every time.
IMG_0834.jpg

newless

Newly Enlightened
Actually I just checked Warriors and Wonders price on this. It'd be the same for me to buy a new 80 lumen than send the head back.
I sent an email asking if Surefire still only used UPS.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Surefire 6P lens crack after falling from my nightstand from 4 ft. on a box of plastic CD cases.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the best thing about surefire was the absolute 'no hassle guarantee'. Maybe they will replace it for you if you send a picture? Or at least they could refund you any postage costs? I'm sure you already paid enough to cover this sort of thing when you bought it.

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it only HDS lights that wrap the glass lens in rubber orings to act as a cushion, I had my 6p lens out the other day to clean it and was surprised to see that the glass was already resting on the metal, so tbh im not suprised it cracked from 10 feet

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Why don't you just replace the lens yourself or is that not possible on the e-series?? Just get some UCL in the right dimension and you're fine..
last week my ultrafire c8 with xm-l fell out of the cockpit window..on a boeing 767...>4 meters, around 12-14 ft..nothing happened, except the switch that had some contact issues after...

nbp

Flashaholic
Plus it hit gravel, so it is entirely possible that when it landed an individual stone sticking up at the right angle and height physically contacted the lens itself, which is more likely to break it than if it had landed on it's side or tail or some other part.

bodhran

Enlightened
I don't see any real deformation of the head/bezel. On an uneven surface such as gravel, the lens may have sustained a direct hit. Sorry nbp....didn't see your post until I after I hit the button. I agree....*lol*

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I just checked Warriors and Wonders price on this. It'd be the same for me to buy a new 80 lumen than send the head back.
I sent an email asking if Surefire still only used UPS.

Surefire told me a while back that USPS is ok just make sure to purchase delivery confirmation.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
it happens, glass shatters/cracks upon impact. I can break any of my glass lenses from a 10-12 foot drop onto hard rocks, if landed on the bezel area like that.

I cracked my 6P window from a waist-high fall onto concrete. I ALWAYS recommend the G2 with poly-carbonate lens over the other Surefire models if impact resistance is a high priority.

Its commonly known in CPF halls that the SF-lifetime warranty only really covers US residents.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its commonly known in CPF halls that the SF-lifetime warranty only really covers US residents.

Izzat so?

Can't seem to find any mention of that limitation here:

ILLUMINATION TOOLS, EDGED WEAPONS, AND PEN WARRANTY
SureFire warrants our illumination tools, edged weapons, and pen products to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, including any LEDs housed within, for the lifetime of the original owner. We will repair, replace, or refund your original purchase price of these products, at our discretion, if it is determined by us to be defective. Electronics, chargers, and rechargeable batteries are covered for a period of two years with proof of purchase. Normal wear and tear-including lamps burning out, headbands and headpads wearing out, batteries draining, ink cartridges running out, and switches wearing out-is not covered, nor is damage resulting from misuse, abuse, neglect, battery damage, use of other than SureFire-brand batteries or accessories, or altering these products from their original state. Parts and accessories for illumination tools are not covered by this warranty.

and

SureFire will pay any reasonable shipping costs to return the unit to you.

http://www.surefire.com/guarantee

Is there a separate international warranty somewhere perhaps? Many items made outside the U.S. have regional product support facilities around the world. I could see where Surefire would balk at an $80 customs brokerage fee to return a $100 light to the owner.

Here's the pic, not all the scratches are from this fall by the way. It's fallen many time onto my ceramic floor. Scratches every time.

I got my wife a tile kitchen floor a while back. I've drop tested way too many lights, phones and other electronics on that floor. Next time we'll get cork...:)

shortstack

Enlightened
my buddy dropped his from about 8' onto concrete and the lens cracked, looks just like yours.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Get two good-quality strap wrenches and crack the head open yourself.

Then just replace the broken glass with a new UCL..

It would be a heckuva lot cheaper than buying a new one.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
V[I said:
[/I]ox Clamatis in Deserto;3689783]Izzat so?

YES!! Read my post (!!). "...in CPF halls..." I stated it this way intentionally.

The lack of international SF warranty service (and replacement parts) is WELL documented on CPF from countless international members who have been left out, and like the OP posted their experiences as well.

In the case of SF there is a warranty document, as you have so found. Then there is the real world experience and feedback from international CPF members. The two are not the same.

Last edited:

newless

Newly Enlightened
I'll let you folks know what Surefire comes back with this week. I mentioned the high brokerage, UPS problem.

newless

Newly Enlightened
Get two good-quality strap wrenches and crack the head open yourself.

Then just replace the broken glass with a new UCL..

It would be a heckuva lot cheaper than buying a new one.

I'll have to look more into this tonight.
Thanks

Napalm

Enlightened
So if a Surefire falls from your hand and the body deforms and the lens shatters, "it must have fallen the wrong way", while if any other brand falls 3 stories and gets a scratch, it gets labeled as "Chinese junk", eh?

nap. :shrug: