Comprehensive list of QTC compatible LED lights. Please add yours!

scout24

Flashaholic
As QTC material becomes more readily available, I think a list of lights that can take advantage of this technology may be helpful to those who would like to give it a try. Please add lights that you have tried and had success with, I'll keep a running list here in this post. Thanks!!! :thumbsup: I'll start with the ones I've tried...

1. Peak Twistys- (Eiger, Logan, Matterhorn)

2. Gerber/ CMG Infinities

3. Fenix LD-15

4 .McGizmo Sapphire/ Arc Ti AAA

5. Lummi Wee

6. KuKu 38DD

7. ???

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Have not yet gotten hold of QTC material to try it, but I believe others have tried with the Arc flashlights with good success; AAA and AA models are battery crusher type twisties like the above lights so no reason they shouldn't work.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two ways to look at this: lights that you can drop a QTC into somehow and have it work without further modification or lights whose circuits are friendly to having the input current varied, but, modifications would be needed to incorporate a QTC into. For example, my Preon ReVO can take a QTC by dropping one over the positive contact of the light and it will work as expected. On the other hand, I'll need to make a custom tailcap for my 2D Rebel MagLED to incorporate a QTC into the design, but, if I do, it will work as expected. The following list only shows lights whose circuits are compatible with QTCs. I've been able to incorporate a QTC in the Preon ReVO I mentioned earlier as well as a Streamlight BatonLite that I've modified with a Sandwich Shop Mad Max plus driver.

Taken from this post, here's a list of lights that I've tried a QTC in:

PCC said:
Anything direct-drive

Rebel MagLED 2D and 3D

Nite Ize 1-Watt and large dome PR flange drop-ins

Nite Ize 3-LED Mini-Mag drop-in

Sandwich Shop Mad Max Plus and Lite drivers

DatiLED's toroid Joule Thief

ThruNite 3-9V XM-L P60 drop-in

Dereelight SST-50 P60 drop-in pill

SureFire L1 (current version)

SureFire KL4 (120 lumen version)

Quark 123 Tactical

Quark MiNi 123

Quark Preon ReVO

In all cases, I tested by placing the QTC at the tail cap and shorting to the QTC and then applying pressure to the QTC and then observing whether or not I can vary the brightness or not and if it is a smooth transition.

Lights that don't seem to like having the resistance changed at the tailcap:

Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 head

Sandwich Shop Shark Buck 2A

SureFire G2X Pro (ramps up but only comes on in low mode, will not switch to high no matter what)

In the case of the Solarforce MPP-1 and the SS Shark Buck 2A, they are either on or off and didn't really dim when applying pressure to the QTC.

nbp

Flashaholic
You know, the cool thing about this material is that you can essentially take any of these older style single mode crusher lights and give them a whole new life. Poor man's T1A if you will. I can see these lights that have been sitting on shelves and in drawers for a couple years in favor of newer multimode, higher efficiency lights being put back in pockets, on nightstands, and on keychains. That's actually really cool if you think about it. To me it is anyways. It's a super cheap way to transform neglected lights into fun ones again. And I imagine we are one of the few hobbyist communities jumping into this new technology so quickly; but it's perfect for our applications. And you can't tell me that the QTC pill isn't a breath of life for companies like Peak who make awesome lights but are often overlooked due to their single mode philosophy. This has to be gold for them. I am considering a Logan QTC myself and I already have a T1A! :ohgeez:

scout24

Flashaholic
Wow, PCC, I guess you're a fan? Very comprehensive and thorough... I'm going to stick with turnkey in the interest of simple, instant gratification types such as myself, but thank you for posting the list which will remain in place... :)

TMG- Thanks for the input, it's on the list!

nbp- Agreed 100%, my Gerber/ CMG infinities had sadly been relegated to "emergency prep" duty, but they work fantastic with this. Peak must be lovin' life too! Good call. Logan is complementary to the T1A, the level 8 head is way brighter than T1A when you stick an RCR in there...

Schuey2002

Enlightened
I have a new CMG Infinity Ultra and some QTC on the way. I can't wait to try it out....

Oh, I'll have to try it in other lights, too. Like my Inova's.. :clap:

nbp

Flashaholic
Right?! I just bought some squares from Smarkum and I'm realizing I can only use the stuff in my Arc AAA. Kinda wish now that I still had my CMG IUG and Matterhorn. :ohgeez:

You make a good point though Scout, a high power Logan is what, like 200 lms almost? I might just need one...

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Scout24, will you add a link to a thread, maybe in the first post, directing those of us that don't know, how to incorporate the QTC into one of these lights. Or maybe give a brief description. Thank you.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
^^^

I am really enjoying the QTC that I have in my Peak Eiger and CMG Ultra Infinity. The only problem that I have with it, is how fragile it is. Before you know it, your little square of QTC has broken up into even tinier pieces. I wish it was more durable. :(

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I've been out of the loop too long, I haven't the faintest idea what you guys are talking about and not one post in reply yet has given enough info for me to figure it out. So I'm off to do some googling.

I'm back for those "in the dark" here is what this thread is about,

Quantum Tunneling Composites (QTC) are small rubber-like pads that conduct electricity, varying its resistance based on how much it is compressed.

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened
You know, the cool thing about this material is that you can essentially take any of these older style single mode crusher lights and give them a whole new life. Poor man's T1A if you will. I can see these lights that have been sitting on shelves and in drawers for a couple years in favor of newer multimode, higher efficiency lights being put back in pockets, on nightstands, and on keychains. That's actually really cool if you think about it. To me it is anyways. It's a super cheap way to transform neglected lights into fun ones again.

You're absolutely right. I dropped a little QTC pill into a 5+ year old Amilite Neo and it's now a completely different light.

Now all we have to do is devise a simple way for CPFers to incorporate these little pills into flexible discs that will both increase the life span of the pills and make them much easier to use in our lights.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think QTCs have lost momentum, only that they're not as easily incorporated into an existing light design as people would like. I have a tabletop lathe and miniature mill at my disposal and I'm still trying to figure out how to add them to my lights. Another thing is that they're somewhat fragile.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Guess I've been out of the loop too long, I haven't the faintest idea what you guys are talking about and not one post in reply yet has given enough info for me to figure it out. So I'm off to do some googling.

I'm back for those "in the dark" here is what this thread is about,

Quantum Tunneling Composites (QTC) are small rubber-like pads that conduct electricity, varying its resistance based on how much it is compressed.

ditto, this thread explains alot
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Merged&highlight=Quantum+Tunneling+Composites