Thrunite Catapult mod options? (with Osram 15W emitter?)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havent had my Catapult V3 long, but the easily accessible pill makes me want to go above and beyond. In terms of just emitter replacement, would the best option be the Osram 15w Ostar?

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Thrunite Catapult mod options?

Nobody has any input on Ostar mods?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Re: Thrunite Catapult mod options?

Is that the Ostar 6-die version, or something newer? The 6-die Ostar was a decent emitter five years ago, but the XM-L in the Catapult V2 or V3 is much more efficient. Since the XM-L in the V2/V3 is already heavily driven, you may want to consider modding the head to a triple or a quad.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 6 Die I believe (the ones that were put into SF L6s a while back) I believe they put out about 1000 lumens at 12v so I thought maybe a boost converter would work great with the 2x18650s. Or would it be better to go for 2+ XMLs?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not use the 6die Ostars. They are probably the single most ineficient LED ever made. I have tested several Mag builds, Surefire custom builds, ArcMania, ect....

All actually make a full 15watts but all make around 400~660ish OTF. The problem I saw with lights built around this emitter is that that 6 die Osram generates a ton of heat and as we all know heat will rob you of the OTF lumens in seconds.

Catapult V3 with an XM-L at 3~4A is a much better choice for throw oriented build.

If you wanted brute lumens at 4~6A an SST-90 would give you 900~1200 real OTF lumens and alot more spill.

bigC