Fenix TK series interface improvement....

s2ftw

Newly Enlightened
Theres something missing in lights such as the TK41, and the about to be released TK70.

As far as i know you can't pick/know the mode before switching the light on. But the tech to allow this has been around for ages:

red_m.jpg

Why not just let the user switch modes with the light off and have one of these nice little alphanumeric display indicate the chosen mode, "L" low, "M" med, "H" high, "T" turbo, "E"emergency(SOS), "S"strobe, "B"blink/beacon. Can't be too hard.

Sent the suggestion to Fenix, posted here in case someone wants to DIY it (not me, bit over my current rudimentary skills to do such a thing nicely enough, might end up hurting my lights:eek:).

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
Would be nice but depending on how much this would increase the price I'd have to pass.

I just habitually leave it in the lowest mode before turning it off.

Even besides price, durability is a factor. It's another part that can go wrong in a couple ways (waterproofing/ wires/ etc)

s2ftw

Newly Enlightened
Valid points that I've considered:)

There would probably be a premium, but i don't think it would raise the manufacturing cost by more than about $10. Durability wise, its old and proven tech, shouldn't be a prob for 'em.

BBL

Enlightened
Better would be an user-interface, where i can directly switch to the mode i want. Eg. Click for Medium, Click-hold for high, click...tripple for low

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind the traditional reverse clicky mode selection myself. I know I definitely wasn't a fan of the mode selection on the TK30 and Tk40, with all the twisting of the bezel though.

Richub

Enlightened
I don't mind the traditional reverse clicky mode selection myself. I know I definitely wasn't a fan of the mode selection on the TK30 and Tk40, with all the twisting of the bezel though.
This was exactly the reason why I purchased a TK15 to replace my (perfectly working) TK12.

Actually, I like both the dual button setup and reverse clicky mode selection on my Fenix flashlights, I couldn't think of anything I would like to see changed in them.

Maybe the dual button lights could always start on low, without the memory mode.
I actually blasted my eyes out a few times turning my TK35, TK41 and TK45 on in a small room. They were still set on turbo then... :duh2:

As for the twisty mode selection in my LD01 I would like the low/mid/high sequence better than the mid/low/high setup it has now. But this is only a small remark.

s2ftw

Newly Enlightened
I actually blasted my eyes out a few times turning my TK35, TK41 and TK45 on in a small room. They were still set on turbo then... :duh2:

Now imagine turning a TK70 on in a small wardrobe, with it set to turbo:eek:

*THE PAIN!!!!!*

although memory is often useful (i don't think people want to have to look for the strobe mode in tactical situations for example, the LD20 interface is quite good in this respect though), still back to my solution when it comes to the bigger lights...

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
I think a selector ring would be better, since you can see what mode you are in and you can switch modes when the light is off.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should have to whistle "Dixie" in a certain octave and hold your tongue at a certain angle to determine what mode you require. Nah, I actually quite like the sidewinder switch the way it works now. :)