Should I buy an HDS or should I consider something else?

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a small single cell EDC. I really like the HDS EDC 170 or 200 lumens tactical and Rotary models. For the money ($160 - $200) should I be considering other lights that have similar features, durability and a good warranty? If so please post the brand and model so I can read up on the light.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would wholeheartedly recommend that you buy an HDS. I bought tons of other lights before finally getting an HDS back when the U60's were his brightest... big mistake because that light changed my mind about what a flashlight could and should do.

I am sure that you have already read the various threads about them and have seen that they are held in high regard by most all the folks that own them... and I believe this is for good reason. They really are without equal.

dirtech

Enlightened
Consider the peak QTC line.

I just went for one because hds was a bit expensive for me right now.

al93535

Newly Enlightened
Consider going with your original feeling of purchasing an HDS! Don't let yourself down, dont be swayed by the hallow promise of a comparable light, and don't delude yourself by trying to "save" money. HDS my friend....

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have said this before but I am going to repeat it here again for your benefit. I have about 50 lights to date, these are the remainders after I sold some away, and my favorite is still my HDS rotary and clicky. Go figure if it is worth looking into something else.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, get an HDS Rotary! I had a Quark AA Ti for EDC but it went MIA and I'm now glad to be carrying the Rotary.:thumbsup: Like Andy and a lot of other folks, I have many, many other lights.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
get the HDS rotary. efficient, durable, rugged, beam quality, great UI, great warranty. there really isnt any light that i can think of thats equal to it.... McGizmo? but those are twice the price....

I have a high CRI clicky, and its my favorite. and everybody seems to like the rotary even more than the clicky...
only complaint i have, is that there are rare moments when i want more than 100 lumens. but the rotaries now are 200 lumens... which is more than enough... for me, at least.

most likely... getting a HDS will even save you money... since youll probably loose interest with other lights. ive only purchased 2 single cr123 lights since getting my HDS... one being a headlamp, and the other being a limited run SWM V10R titanium

peak QTC are also very nice, especially for the price.

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies. I should have known I would get these type of responses. You people are costing me a lot of money :laughing:. At least with HDS I get a good light with a good warranty. I'm also kind of excited about getting a product that is made in the USA. I only hope this is the last light I buy for at least 6 months.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your replies. I should have known I would get these type of responses. You people are costing me a lot of money :laughing:. At least with HDS I get a good light with a good warranty. I'm also kind of excited about getting a product that is made in the USA. I only hope this is the last light I buy for at least 6 months.
:rock:

I think that is the most foolish thing I've ever read on CPF and this is for you. :thumbsdow
Well then OBVIOUSLY there are a great number of my posts you have yet to read.

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
Possible alternative: Surefire E1B, Surefire L1. More reliable because of less complex circuit.

Personally, I would get a warm-tinted Zebralight and a bigger 2xCR123A light for applications when you can carry a bigger light and need more light/runtime. Cheaper, better tint, more flexible. And two are better than one (speaking about reliability or dependability).

I had one HDS fail at me twice in a short time and I don't consider it to be reliable at the moment.

Regards,
Jonas

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple months ago I would have said get the HDS hands down no question asked, it has a great UI and is rock solid but... The Zebralight SC600 is king for me, it to is very solid with what I believe is the only light that has a better UI than the HDS. With 750 lumens in your pocket and nearly every output level you could want in between it is very very difficult not to pick this light up off the shelve as your EDC light, HDS is IMO one of the best light's in the world but ever since I got my SC600 my HDS 200 has seen little use, not that I don't appreciate it but like I said with so many lumens coming from the SC600 with such a nice UI and design I can't refuse it.

You did not say it had to be a 1xCR123 and with the money you mention you can get the SC600 and the great Pila charger along with the best 18650's one can buy. (AW or Redilast)

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS. I have many lights including many HDS representatives. All reliable, rugged, dependable and the latest, the Rotary, a joy to carry and use.

Karl

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally Posted by leon2245
If you don't have an HDS, you're nothin'!

I took that comment as tongue in cheek. At least it seemed that way to me.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I agree with the folks singing the praise of Henry's lights.

The thing is, not only are they covered by warranty. They also have excellent resale value here on the marketplace. So you really _can't_ go wrong buying one of these.

notrefined

Enlightened
buy the HDS...if you don't buy it now, you will eventually, because you'll always wonder until you've tried it. I say this even though I DID try it and DID NOT like it...at least I know, and spend my money elsewhere with complete confidence :)