My new EDC light - quick review

dervishMe

Newly Enlightened
Just received my Zebralight SC51 today and instantly fell in love. This design should belongs in the MOMA museum! I thought it looked a bit weird in the photos but once held it in my hand I understand right there the true meaning of the "form-follows-function" philosophy. It made all my other lights looked so conventional and uninspiring. Pulling out of the pocket, without looking, one can feel which way the light should be pointed and where the switch is located quite naturally.

The UI is also another intelligent piece. After a few clicks, I was able to operate the the light like it was made just for me years ago. The beam also has the most neutral, warm color compared to all other lights I have. I know it it not the W version but any thing warmer than this is just too warm, too "incandescent" for me. Also, this thing is bright. Much brighter than my old Fenix L2D in turbo mode.

I don't get much excited about these things until now. I know the Z51 is going to stay in my pocket everyday for many more months to come.

I ordered this last Thursday afternoon from Illumationgear. It was my first time with this company. The next day, Friday, there was an email from a person named Tod asking me for my CPF member name and credit the discount back to my credit card. The quality and the speed of the service is simply superb.

Cheers!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another convert to the SC51 club :). It's nice when, after all the reading and comparing, the light finally arrives, and it turns out to be every bit as good as everybody says it is. Enjoy!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like it so much, the SC51 set the bar for AA EDC light's. Seems like your an instant fan so you should try a SC600 for a real blast. :)

Tod is great to deal with, responding to emails and such promptly and detailed, his service is second to none and I have never hesitated ordering anything from him. Besides discussing in detail the light's we love the best thing about CPF is having such great CPF dealers to have our backs.

It's nice you discovered one of ZL's secrets to success and that is there tints, I've never owned a cool tinted Zebralight that had a bad tint. They all almost have have a neutral tint but that is probably because I'm so use to blue or green tints from other brands, even my XM-L SC600 could pass as neutral compared to so many other XM-L light's I have and even those have what most would consider a very passable tint for cool white.

Last edited: