Brightest 4xAA flashlight

Ian2381

Enlightened
I'm looking for the brightest 4xAA flashlight that can somehow match the power of Fenix TK41. Is this possible? I'm leaning towards AA powered lights only, already got 18650 XML lights.

joey_1987

Newly Enlightened
The TK41 can run on 4 aa's it just creates a lot of heat as it is a high drain on he batteries. Not sure of any others.

tam17

Enlightened
Check out Sunwayman M40 (500lm, XM-L) and a newly released JetBeam PA40 (468lm, XM-L).

Cheers,

Tam

mmace1

Enlightened
I was looking at 4xaa & 4xxA + flashlights for quite awhile: what Tam said. The Sunwayman was the brightest seemingly. Fenix LD40 was a different choice - great for outdoors as they marketed it, but not nearly as bright on max as the Sunwayman.

I eventually went with the TK41 myself...though I'd considered the Jetbeam PA40, which unfortunately does not have any reviews out yet.

Though hopefully, someone can contradict my statements and come up with a better light but...it seems an awfully neglected segment of the market right now. I blame 99% of the population for ignorance...and flashaholics for having a fetish for teeny-tiny lights...

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for the brightest 4xAA flashlight that can somehow match the power of Fenix TK41. Is this possible? I'm leaning towards AA powered lights only, already got 18650 XML lights.

Here's a list of the best production AA throwers:

8AA - Fenix TK41 at 45,000 lux
4AA - Sunwayman M40A at 18,500 lux
3AA - Sunwayman M30A at 16,000 lux
2AA - Wolf Eyes Krait at 11,200 lux
1AA - Dereelight Shorty at 5,000 lux

Can anybody come up with an AA light to beat these in any category?
If so, please post make, model, and lux number.

Appears that the best 4AA thrower (Sunwayman M40A) has less than half the peak beam intensity of the Fenix TK41.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it possible for a 4xAA light to reach the max output of TK41 even on half the runtime?

I'd imagine that it's possible, but apparently no manufacturer builds a 4AA model that can do that. If such a 4AA model was built, its current draw would be quite high for AA cells so runtime would be very short even using lithium AAs.

The brightest production 4AA isn't even half as bright as the TK41.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I'd imagine that it's possible, but apparently no manufacturer builds a 4AA model that can do that. If such a 4AA model was built, its current draw would be quite high for AA cells so runtime would be very short even using lithium AAs.

The brightest production 4AA isn't even half as bright as the TK41.

Hopefully someone will create such a light, even on less than an hour on max mode will be enough for multi mode lights.

Napalm

Enlightened

aimxplode

Enlightened
I'm currently waiting for reviews on the Jetbeam PA40 to come in, which is 468 lumens running 4x AA. The pictures look amazing and Jetbeam builds have always been top notch in my experience.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new ZebraLight and JetBeam models may be great 4AA format lights, but quoting their lumen outputs is neither here not there. :>

THE Figure of Merit for throw is Peak Beam Intensity, usually given in lux or cd.

People often bring lumens into discussions of throw lights, but output in lumens is nearly useless for specifying throw.

tam17

Enlightened
Please note that original poster never used the word "throw", so why using lux or cd? He did mention brightness, power and max output, though.

OP, pls clarify.

Cheers,

Tam

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting to see what the ZebraLight 4aa looks like, if anything.

Not a 4AA but 3AA & 2AA

Any high powered LED must be aluminum construction to dissipate heat quickly to save LED module.

Another choice is XML 4AA 1D M*g

I just hope that in general (& only for the sake of those of us without our own personal flashlight factories) this isn't the beginning of another plastic revolution. Probably lots of similar famous last words in the 80's before polymer handgun frames started dominating.

When i asked WHY?! isn't aluminum good enough anymore, they told me it's because aluminum is heavier than plastic! I would have also accepted the fact that Carbon Fiber Reinforced Composite is far more tactical sounding than Aluminum.

:crackup:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please note that original poster never used the word "throw", so why using lux or cd? He did mention brightness, power and max output, though.

Because the OP asked for the BRIGHTEST 4AA flashlight, and BRIGHTNESS is specified in units of LUX or CD.

Brightness refers to Peak Beam Intensity, which is a good predictor of Throw.

Throw refers to the maximum distance at which the Peak Beam Intensisty remains sufficient for useful illumination of a target.

A flashlight's output specified in Lumens or Watts specifies absolutely nothing about its Brightness (Peak Beam Intensity) or its Throw.

tam17

Enlightened
When i asked WHY?! isn't aluminum good enough anymore, they told me it's because aluminum is heavier than plastic! I would have also accepted the fact that Carbon Fiber Reinforced Composite is far more tactical sounding than Aluminum.
True, plastics and carbon fiber composites in particular are notorious for their poor heat conductivity. Still, there is enough surface for heat transfer on the head IMO. I wonder whether "carbon fiber reinforced composite" refers to a moulded thermoplastic (PA-GF alike), often found on power drills...

Because the OP asked for the BRIGHTEST 4AA flashlight, and BRIGHTNESS is specified in units of LUX or CD.
Brightness refers to Peak Beam Intensity, which is a good predictor of Throw.
Throw refers to the maximum distance at which the Peak Beam Intensisty remains sufficient for useful illumination of a target.
A flashlight's output specified in Lumens or Watts specifies absolutely nothing about its Brightness (Peak Beam Intensity) or its Throw.

Thx for this clarification, RZ. Seems like I still have a lot to learn :)

Cheers,

Tam

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not exactly, I reckon the brute force of my TK35 will kill nearly all of your current "throwers"

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

You could prove it one way or the other by specifying the Peak Beam Intensity of your TK35.

Your reckoning that brute force will prevail over Peak Beam Intensity runs contrary to some very basic physics.

NickBose

Enlightened
Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

You could prove it one way or the other by specifying the Peak Beam Intensity of your TK35.

Your reckoning that brute force will prevail over Peak Beam Intensity runs contrary to some very basic physics.

Forget the figures, see with your eyes at http://fonarik.com/test/

For example, take a classic thrower - Tiablo A10 http://fonarik.com/test/?model=35&scene=1&mode=0

versus the brutal TK35 http://fonarik.com/test/?model=139&scene=1&mode=0

Last edited: