New Yuntong 123s in stock (run time graph incl)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We finally received our shipment of Yuntong brand 123 cells in yesterday. They can now be ordered at the bottom of this page. We still have a few packs of DPs left so let us know which cell you want.

The Yuntongs cost a little more than the DPs but we are still just charging $1 per cell.

I have been testing these cells for over a month with good results. These tests show that the Yuntong brand performs better than the DP brand. Earlier tests showed the DP brand to be better than the Lisun or Tekcell brand. As a result, I believe these Yuntong cells to have a good bang for the buck.

Here's an Excel graph of some of the run tests:

123 battery test (".xls" document - 94kb)

A note about the graphs (someone is going to ask): Your results are going to vary because of factors such as temperature, vf of the LED in your LS, battery variance, etc. For these tests, I picked a LSH-P (#1947) that tested average in power consumption out of 7 units. This graphs aims to represents an average result. The brightness of each test is relative, not absolute. So if one unit has a higher graph, it does not mean it was brighter. Assume that all tests are pretty much the same brightness because the LS used was the same and the temperature was about the same as well. Variations in light input were a result of varied distance to the light sensor. The pertinent data here is the length of time that each cell delivered and how it dropped off, etc.

All cells were recently purchased new. All cells except for the Duracells were purchased directly from the manufacturer.

As always, I really like to hear what your experience is with the cells we sell. Thanks!

Peter

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, you asked for feedback... here it is.

I recently bought 50 DP123 from you. Even with 25 $ international shipping, each cell is 1.5 $ each, far from 3.50 € (3.85 $) I pay here (and is the lowest price) for a 123 cell.

Initial no load voltage for DP123 at 25 °C is 3.26 volt. Initial short circuit current is about 7.5 A.
These values are more or less the same for all DP cells I tested.

Comparatively, Energizer, Duracell have a initial no load voltage of 3.16 V and a initial short circuit current of 6.0 Amps at 25 °C.

Fuji Film and Varta shows the same initial voltage and short circuit current values of the DP brand.

DP brand cell shows variance of internal resistance between each cell during discharge. The same problem is present with Fuji and Varta cells. Energizer and Duracell have a more uniform pattern of internal resistance increase vs. discharge time.

Now, I have to feed 2 LSH-P, an L1, and a E2e+KL1. The single cells flashlights work on DP brand cell in a pretty "solid" manner, while the two cell E2e+KL1, in case of a single "high resistivity" battery in the pair, kills them both in a very short time. Otherwise, if the cells are "matched", the KL1 run quietly for 3.5 hrs: this happens once on every three sets of batteries.

You sell the DP battery for the LSH-P... they work pretty well with the 500 mA load, with a 10 - 20% average reduction in runtime compared to Energizer or Duracell. In my tests, DP ran for 1.7 hrs compared to 2 hrs of the Duracell. 1.5 $ versus 5 $, it is well worth the missing twenty minutes.
DP batteries likes less the 900 mA current consumption of the L1, here the "high" mode is about 75 minutes, compared to 90 minutes of brand name cells.

Same technical comments from my side.
When the DP cell is discharged at 15 mA (with a 200 ohm resistor) or in the L1 in low mode, the total measured capacity is well above 1300 mA.

This means that, inside the cell, there is the right quantity of lithium and manganese dioxide.
The higher initial no load voltage and the initial higher short circuit current rating, are possibly connected to an higher concentration of the electrolyte.
The variance of the internal resistance under load, leading to different runtimes, is very likely due to some impurities in the manganese dioxide.

As matter of fact, by dissecting a dead DP cell, there is a good quantity of lithium left at negative pole (more than 0.1 mm thickness left), while the manganese dioxide is "dead", it doesn't produce any rust on a piece of iron wire I use to test the oxidation potential.

In the box I use to store the batteries, there is no "smell" of electrolyte, so I deduce the seals are of good quality...

Next month I'll buy some more 123 of the new brand you're carrying now, and I have seen your graphs.. to me they shows that they have a more uniform behavior under load.

I am also conducting what I call the EDC test... I set a DP cell aside and I turn it on 5 minutes per day. I haven't discharged the cell yet, but DP cells seems to have a pretty good behavior for pulsed use in single cell flashlights.

Last comment... can you "convince" your dealer here to make available in Europe the low priced 123? It would be much easier for overseas flashaholics...

Cheers, Peter... have my highest regards

Anthony

Lexus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TheProphet said:

Last comment... can you "convince" your dealer here to make available in Europe the low priced 123? It would be much easier for overseas flashaholics...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! Cheap 123 batts for us poor guys in Europe, please!!!

Connor

Enlightened
Hello *@*,

yeah, CR123A prices in Germany suck BIG TIME, too. The cheapest price you can get at some online dealers is about €2.50/each in packages of 10.

Duracells cost about €7.50 to € 9.95 *each* in big electronics chains like "MediaMarkt" or "ProMarkt". This gives the term "profit margin" a whole new meaning, I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

-Connor

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I asked nicely, we'll see if she cares to do me the favor...

I'm pretty well stocked having just bought a dozen SF CR123s for $25 ($2.08, or $2.23 including tax ea.) from a local gun shop called Young Guns, but now that I have my first SF light, I'll probably need more soon. I hope so. For what the light cost, I wanna get a lot of use out of it.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate to hijack this thread but here's an FYI. The common denominator here is the cost to run a light. For those that use 2x123 regulated lights, it is far more cost effective to go with rechargeables. The only light I have left that uses 123's is the Arc. ALL my other 2x123 or 3x123 based lights are now eating Lithium Ion's. Unfortunately, the Arc is my EDC so I'll still be using 123's in the foreseeable future unless Arc makes a power pack that accomodates us Li-Ion junkies for their newer lights.

Peter,

Nice runtime graphs. I'm surpised by the variance of the Surefires. To me, predictable and consistent performance is almost, if not equally important as runtime. Having said that, those Yuntong looks like a GREAT bang for the buck, literally.

CM

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
No it can't. Even if it did, the 17mm Li-Ion's are too fat. I guess there's always an exception or two (or more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) to my statement above. Probably should have said "regulated LED lights" but I'm sure there's an exception out there as well. At least in my KL1, KL3, L4, home-made Arc LS3, I use the Li-Ions for guilt-free light. That leaves a bunch of 123's left for my Arcs.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh well, I'll just dream of one day having a LiIon powered KumKang lantern...

I tried 3.6V from 3xAA NiMH on the A2 and I get a dim incandescent. Whether it would run OK from 7.2...the LEDs would be driven at more than their present 50mA ea., but that could be fixed. Dunno how the incandescent's regulator would take it. That, and there are no 2 cell LiIon batteries the size of 2xCR123. (I measured 145mA on LED and 1.5A on bulb)

Well, with $2 - $5 battery loads and $20-$25 lamps I'll just accept this beast will be expensive to feed. I imagine a Streamlight TT-2L would have done 90% of what this will, but I bought it for that je ne sais quoi there is about a SureFire...and...I think I feel it. It is damn small for 50 lumens and I do like the look of this one, especially down the business end, and especially the "frosty top" lamp. Kinda like an Opalec MiniMag, with a Streamlight Stinger thrown in, all with a Rotring/Koh-I-Noor drafting pencil-on-steroids grip.

So, as yet, if I want a flashlight with a LiIon battery, I'll just have to keep activating the auto-focus assist illuminator orange LED on my Sony digicam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

s2k

Newly Enlightened
hi Peter:

are these cells made in China?

Do they have their manufacture date indicated?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they are made in China and they have a MFG date on each cell. The date is printed on the inner wrapper (underneath the outer wrapper) so it is hard to read.

The batch we have right now was made 7/14/03.

Peter

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I have some more tests done on the DP 123. I finally discharged the DP 123 in the LSHP: I turned the light on for 5 minutes four times a day, and it lasted 5 days before the moon mode.
Not bad, considered that the Duracell usually would have given 15 - 20 minutes more of sun mode.

Then, I tested the DP 123 in a SF Z3 with the LOLA: under this power consuption (I think over 1 amps) the batteries performed poorly... only 45 minutes before "orangish mode"...

I tried to recharge the DP 123 (CV mode, 4 volt end of charge voltage, 50 mA current limit for 24 hrs) and the battery leaked some electrolyte. This is not true with other brands.

Peter, I just ordered a bunch of Yuntong 123... I'll post here after I receive them and test... BTW, thanks for the opportunity of buying 123 for cheap!

Regards

Anthony

ufokillerz

Enlightened
you seem to be sold out, placed an order for 95 batteries, and won't let me get any more, i was hoping to place and order for 100 batteries =\, also ordered the arc pouch and 2nd day s/h, wonder if i'll get the $5 s/h price. Thanks and looking forward to these batteries.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it wont let anybody get any more as you've bought them all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Peter, let us know when you update the stock at the store as I need a couple too!

Thanks,

ufokillerz

Enlightened
nope, but i have a bunch of battery guzzling lights =) I tend to like to buy them in 100's so i know how many i have left, and after seeing peter post that the mfg date was 7-2003, i dont have to worry about keep them around for a while =)

Status
Not open for further replies.