What lights have you bought due to CPF peer pressure?

flashflood

Enlightened
Peer pressure might be overstating it a bit, but you know what I mean: there is some light that people just go on and on about, but you've looked at it and just aren't impressed. After a while you just have to know what all the fuss is about, so you break down and buy one.

What lights have you bought this way, and how has it worked out for you?

Having been here about half a year, it seems like the lights that inspire the most passion ("you have to own one to understand") are Surefire, HDS, Peak, and ZebraLight.

My first CPFPP light was a Peak. I'd heard nothing but raves about them, so I bought a Peak Ural HA. It was a disaster.

Second CPFPP light was the ZebraLight SC600. I love it. It really is a brilliant UI. It's weird, but to me the UI always sounded goofy on paper, yet it's very natural in the hand.

Third will probably be an HDS rotary. Just because I'm sick of hearing about it. ;)

How about you? What are your CPFPP lights, and how do you like them?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just caved this week and bought a Malkoff MD2 with M61w + hi/lo. I've got lights that are brighter, smaller, and more efficient but everyone says that there's just something special about a Malkoff. Of course I needed to invent a reason to own one so I decided to start an "end of the world" light set up featuring the MD2. It looks like I'll now need to order the M61WL (or WLL if that exists) to really optimize run time. I would also like an MD3 body so I can run AA cells but then I would have to order a low voltage drop in too.

As you can see, I have this all planned out AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY FIRST MALKOFF YET. If that's not peer pressure, I don't know what is.

Napalm

Enlightened
None. Nearly all of the over-hyped lights here are of the CR123 variety which I try to avoid.

Nap.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight SC600. I totally had no intention of buying that, but after a lot of reading on here, last night I did.
And also add 2 x AW P18650-29's to that list... and a 4Sevens single bay charger... and a Maha C9000... and quite a few other items.

Darvis

Enlightened
Lights I've bought on feedback and now see little use:

HDS (Maybe this is more personal as I DO like the lights, but I've had minor issues (that were all fixed by Henry's excellent service) that just make me unsure about the lights. I'm hoping to overcome this as I think they are really unique and well made, but I've just growm more and more used (maybe I mean trusting?) to basic on/off lights lately)
Nitecore (Man, great ideas, but none of mine lasted long under normal use)
Quark(s) (preflash... just kills me)

Light I've bought on feedback and see major usage... and were worth the hype in my opinion (not in any order):

Anything Malkoff (especially the M91)
Surefire(s) (especially the E series and L1)
Oveready/Moddoolar (superior tubes and P60 system, love the triples)
Kerberos (Awesome Quads)
Peak (I've had some misses with Peak, but overall, just simple and bombproof)
McGizmo (Mostly the Mules)
Preon ReVo (Incredible runtime on low)
Fenix E01 (Never fails, even when abused)

Just my opinions.. :)

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. 4Sevens Quark AA2=
GOOD Love the moonlight mode.
BAD Not so crazy about clicking through the modes plus all tactical versions I tried have "preflash"
2. Zebralight H501w=
GOOD Love the flood.
BAD Wish it would save the settings like the H51. Probably will get another H51w.
3. Malkoff MD2 H/L=
GOOD One of my keepers. High/low is about perfect.
BAD Head is a bit TOO smooth for one hand twisting. Not a big fan of needing the delrin shroud to use a pocket clip. (I have the 2 piece MD2's)
4. HDS Clicky=
GOOD List here is too long.
BAD Nothing really but I would LOVE a DEEP carry pocket clip to make the tail flush with the pocket line. (Like the ones out for the Quarks)
5. Fenix E01=
GOOD Bomb proof and easy to carry anywhere/everywhere
BAD Purple tint but sanding the LED smooths I out to make it tolerable.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL the title of this thread made me laugh...

im going to have to say all my lights since finding out about CPF.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Quark MiNi AA - bought three of them, titanium, neutral and cool white, the light is great and has been ultra reliable to me, I only whish it has more power on AA

Nitecore D10 - Got the Camo version and I really like it, the loud whine on medium mode irritates me

Zebralight SC50 and H51 - This are one of my best lights so far, all positive for this two lights and has been with me everyday and during camping/hiking.

Fenix E01
- Bomb proof light, every flashaholic should have one for backup.

Fenix E20 - This is one of my first lights when I came to this forum, all positive praises and highly recommended here, I just hope it cam with multiple modes.

Now I'm leaning in getting the TK41 or Q50.

Matt7337

Enlightened
Most of them, just like skyfire!

No but seriously, my two HDS lights were bought purely because they get such a good rep around here. My latest purchase of a SF C2 is the same - 'you HAVE to own a P60 sized host, Matt! And it should be a C2/6P!' :p

I'm patiently waiting on the right opportunity to buy a McGizmo for all the same reasons too :)

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Preon ReVO SS - great light, I now want an aluminum version to pocket carry so that I can put the SS on my keys
Quark MiNi 123 - nice light, it was my EDC until I got the ReVO, hate the loose threads and the green tint doesn't bother me
Quark 123 Tactical - nice light, hate the preflash, bought it for the moonlight mode, only keeping it because of the moonlight mode, but, that may change as I just picked up an HDS 120 clicky
ITP A3 EOS - I thought this would be a budget Preon 1, but, the PWM was too much and I ended up giving it away
Kuku E-series drop-in - again, the PWM was too much and I ended up returning it
HDS Ra clicky 120 - I just picked this one up so the jury's out, but, it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be and it's less pocketable than any other single CR123a light I have other than the L1 Lumamax
MagLite ML100 - the gee-whiz UI is fun for about 5 minutes then you realize that it's a decent flashlight that you occasionally adjust the brightness on

recDNA

Flashaholic
TK40 - loved it but sold it recently. Thought I'd buy a TK41 but greenage scares me off.

No HDS here but the pressure is certainly on for that brand. I'm a Philistine I know but I don't get the attraction.

lasermax

Newly Enlightened
Gosh darn fenix tk30 and well surefire lights to many to type in here darn it aim fully broke

kvsitinw

Banned
none, I'm a new guy in this forum, maybe all the next flashlight I bought is due to CPF peer pressure.

Mdinana

Enlightened
Given that ALL the lights here outside of SF and Mag are pretty unknown to me... all of them.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Almost NONE.
There are a LOT of CPF'ers in my area. I get to demo all kinds of stuff at CPF meets before I buy. The lights that I have bought as a result of demoing at meets:
-Malkoff M60 (x2)
-Zebralight H501
-MAG ROP DIY
-SF 6P/M2/G2/A2/E2L

There are 2 exceptions, 2x lights that I bought on a whim PURELY from ALL the forum hype (and there was A LOT of hype for these two).
Lowes Task Force 2C
Stanley HID

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Similar experiences here:

Fenix E01 Just don't understand the hype about this light. The beam is like the afterimage from staring too long at a fried egg: purple hotspot in a puddle of yellow. I bought one as a present but would be embarrased to give it to anyone.

Quark tactical Preflash spoils what would otherwise be a great light.

PWM Someone mentioned PWM. This ruins many an otherwise excellent light. No more low-frequency PWM please ! 4Sevens have got it right on the Preon and MiNi series with a frequency that's high enough not to cause any problems.

On the flip side, I have had great results with both HDS Clicky and Nitecore though, so in some cases the hype has been justified !

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Zebralight H501 - was and still is my most liked light.

Quark Mini AA - absolutely hated the "extra green" tint so traded it, result = 2 x happy CPFers

ITP A3 EOS and Maratac AAA and AA twisties
- very happy with all of them (I Have quite a few, including SS and Cu versions)

Illuminati Ti AAA - me and the threads (Ti) just couldn't get on (smooth threads are important to me in a twisty). Long gone.

Liteflux LF2XT - kept on switching on in my pocket, couldn't set both auto-off AND low voltage cutout, even the simple UI was hard to remember, so reverted back to ITP AAA

Fenix E01 - as expected (lots of good info available here on CPF if you can be bothered to search for it), so no complaints.

MG/Shiningbeam L-mini and S-mini - excellent lights, so the hype was right.

ZL SC51
- great light, but as warned, need to unscrew tailcap to prevent accidental switching on (it's a keeper).

These days I make fewer light purchases that I regret (thanks CPF)

4D223

Newly Enlightened
Surefire 6P with Malkoff!The most used light in my rotation. If it hadnt been for all the hype on cpf i would not have bought it. I'M glad I listened to the hype.!!!!!