LED weaponlight review Surefire X300 vs Streamlight TLR-1s

igabo

Enlightened
Now, I haven't posted at CPF for a very long time... but here goes:

I'm sure many of you like myself, have wondered how these weapon-mounted lights stack up against each other, and after scoring a good deal on an X300, I have the opportunity to compare them head-to-head. I've had the TLR-1s for several months now, and have been really satisfied with the performance of it, and from what I've used it for; it stacks up really well against the X300, which costs more than double the price of the TLR-1s. On the other hand, there are many little features and indications that show that you get a better quality product with the X300.

TLR-1s

Good:
I picked this light up from amazon.com, and I was initially very impressed when I first received this item; I had a TLR-1 (C4, non strobe version), that was nice and all, but I found the strobe model to be a significant improvement over the standard version. The beam was tighter, it was noticeably brighter, and the light was warmer and whiter compared to the cold tint of the TLR-1. Anyways, onto the TLR-1s itself; like I said, it's very bright and throws VERY far. I don't have any good places to really measure its throwing capabilities, but in a somewhat-lit park across the street, the TLR would send some light 100 yards + (120 yards according to measurements from google maps). Although I personally wouldn't rely on a small light like the TLR-1s for something like ID-ing targets at 100 yards, because I'd still want more light. However, within 50 yards, it functions flawlessly, and is plenty bright for most uses. I'm not really a fan of the strobe feature, so I've turned it off.

Bad:
Although it feels pretty solid, the TLR-1s has a screw-on lens cap that can be easily removed exposing the inner electronics. Also, I suppose a problem came up during assembly, because inside the lens and on the reflector, I see dust particles inside and I've never removed the lens before, which tells me they got there during assembly, probably because the reflector was exposed to dust before the lens was screwed on, without cleaning of any sort. Also, I mounted this to my M&P, and even with the tighter picatinny rail bar, there is still a bit of wobble, but if you really tighten down the light, it goes away.

X300

Good:
In terms of build quality, you definitely get what you pay for with the X300; I can't find any flaws whatsoever with this light. I like the momentary on switch, where you simply push the switch in towards the light to turn it on, versus the rotating switch for momentary on. The switch is very stiff compared to the TLR-1s as well for constant on, which I like also, because it won't go on without a firm push. The beam is pretty good, and it throws very far, just like the TLR-1s. Also, the mounting system is excellent; it locks up to rails really solid, and it won't come loose, like it might on the TLR-1s. I like the color of the light as well, it's got a slightly warmer white than the TLR-1s, which I like and prefer.
Bad:
Price. Not much else to complain about though.

Differences:
Surprisingly enough, I find the two lights to be of nearly identical brightness, with the TLR-1s possibly being slightly brighter than the x300. I also prefer the tighter beam, with spill on the TLR-1s. Aside from that, the X300 beats the TLR-1s in every other category; build quality, ergonomics, mounting, etc.

IN SUMMARY: Essentially, in terms of the light that comes out of these weaponlights, the TLR-1s wins slightly (tighter beam/ more throw, maybe brighter), but as an accessory attached to a weapon and in terms of build quality/ergo's the x300 definitely wins. Nonetheless, I have had no problems whatsoever with either light, and I'm sure either one will serve you very well.

If you guys have any questions or requests, please feel free to ask, and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks for reading!
http://forums.1911forum.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3348851

In the beamshot, the TLR-1s is on the left, and the X300 is on the right.

stockae92

Enlightened
thanks for the review. i went throught the decision between the two and ended up TLR-1s, mostly because of the price.

from what i read, the X300 has more solid construction, and I like the switch layout better (doesn't matter if you activate the light with your left or right hand, left and right side switch does the same thing in the same way). but at the end of the day, the X300 cost too much to justisfy it.

the TLR-1s is still very well made, and felt very solid. it mounts on my XD rock solid and no movement at all. And funny enough, the first thing I did right out of the box was to turn off the strobe. LOL

and from the comparison pix, it looks like the TLR-1s is a smaller unit with bigger switch. both are good things in my book.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
my biggest frustration with the TLR-1s (and all streamlights) is lack of master on/off switch to prevent ALD (accidental light discharge), particularly when mounted on a long arm (rifle or shotgun) where there is a great likelihood of bumping something which would cause the light to momentarily flash on. this also happens frequently if mounted on a handgun that isn't carried in a kydex holster.

doesn't the X300 have a master switch to prevent this problem?

igabo

Enlightened
The X300 doesnt have a master switch, but takes a good, solid push in order to get the light going, especially compared to the TLR-1s. Although I never experienced any AD's, i doubt its an issue. On the other hand, the TLR-1s is pretty easy to turn on, so its probably much more prone to an AD

Bronco

Enlightened
My biggest gripe with the X300 on my rifle is that I have to completely remove it from the weapon (a process which requires a hex key if you like it to fit snugly) in order to swap out the battery.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
thnx igabo, that does pretty much take care of my question. at this point its a toss-up for me: extra quality at extra cost, but thats about it.

the only light i've tried that doesn't require removing to replace the battery is the TLR-3.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Are either of these quick on and off?

I envision getting a system where I can have a weapon light mounted to my belt and if i draw my pistol I attach it to my postiol, and if i take out a shotgun or rifle I can then switch it to the long gun.

I don't currently have a duty pistol with rails though so I havent really given it too much consideration. THe department may switch to a new pistol soon though and thus I ask.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I have a TLR1s mounted on my Beretta .92fs. It doesn't show any signs of wobble. It is somewhat tricky to get the strobe to activate but with a little practice it gets easier. I dont see any point in deactivating it because its so hard to get it to actually work you it should be a non issue. (You have to flick the rotating switch just enough, and then flick it again and hold it or flick it on, but you have to be precise or else with the first flick it will just lock the light on). Anyways does anyone know of any holsters that will fit the .92fs and a light? Its been driving me nuts that I cant find one. I also have a special mounting bracket called the WOR4 TacRail but it should be about the same size as a beretta with a rail mount included.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
..... Anyways does anyone know of any holsters that will fit the .92fs and a light? Its been driving me nuts that I cant find one. I also have a special mounting bracket called the WOR4 TacRail but it should be about the same size as a beretta with a rail mount included.

i have a kydex holster for ber with tlr made by Bladetech. excellent design and quality. mine was made for use with an M6 light but was easily modded to fit a TLR-1s by using thinner adjustment washers that i bought at a hardware store. they have lots of options, like different belt connections:

Bladetech page for ber with light mounted

Size15's

Flashaholic
My biggest gripe with the X300 on my rifle is that I have to completely remove it from the weapon (a process which requires a hex key if you like it to fit snugly) in order to swap out the battery.
I believe there is a highly regarded aftermarket mount that allows you to clamp it to the rail rather than have to slide it on

bnemmie

Enlightened
igabo, Where did you get a good deal on the X300? Ive been trying to find one for a decent prce for a while. Ive got a X200 that works just fine but since the X300 is newer and brighter I....need to ........buy it. :)

robotoid

Newly Enlightened
I'm a range officer for our dept. Last time I was qualify our shift, the one guy who had a Streamlight TLR on his pistol, it was constantly coming off the gun while he was shooting. I don't like the screw on attachment. I like both SL and Surefire products, but I'd buy an X300 for a handgun light.

uber1911

Newly Enlightened
I have the Streamlight TLR-1s and it is very useful as a weaponlight because, as I am sure many of you know, it comes with various "keys" that allow you to mount it to a variety of proprietary rails along with the traditional picatinny. (I am not sure if the X300 has the same keys and compatibility, forgive me). I also favor the Streamlight because it costs less than half as much as the Surefire and that means a lot to me. My light is primarily used for home defense and the TLR-1s is certainly high enough quality for that based on the various reviews and my experience with it. However, if I was a LEO that depended on my light daily then I may consider spending the extra coin on the surefire.

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
I'm a range officer for our dept. Last time I was qualify our shift, the one guy who had a Streamlight TLR on his pistol, it was constantly coming off the gun while he was shooting. I don't like the screw on attachment. I like both SL and Surefire products, but I'd buy an X300 for a handgun light.

He didn't tighten the screw, right? Or was using the wrong clamps for the gun? Because if correct clamps are used and the screw is tightened, as it should, there's no way I can see it constantly coming of. I own the SureFire X300, Streamlight TLR-1, Insight Technology Procyon + WX150 and Glock GTL-11, and when correctly attached the TLR is the tightest of them all. There should be no play at all.

To Igabo: thanks for this review.

Last edited:

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
He didn't tighten the screw, right? Or was using the wrong clamps for the gun? Because if correct clamps are used and the screw is tightened, as it should, there's no way I can see it constantly coming of. I own the SureFire X300, Streamlight TLR-1, Insight Technology Procyon + WX150 and Glock GTL-11, and when correctly attached the TLR is the tightest of them all. There should be no play at all.

Agreed. I've put mine through 2-day, 1,000 round training classes before, shooting in all positions and intentionally dropping the pistol multiple times to simulate injury drills. I've never once had the TLR-1 or TLR-1s detach itself from my weapons.

Last edited:

igabo

Enlightened
igabo, Where did you get a good deal on the X300? Ive been trying to find one for a decent prce for a while. Ive got a X200 that works just fine but since the X300 is newer and brighter I....need to ........buy it. :)

I got mine off of ebay.. but if you don't trust them, shoot brightflashlights an email, and he will give you an excellent price. Also, I have never had any issues with the TLR-1s mounting, and when properly screwed on, it sure is tight.. maybe even too tight, because it can become hard to remove if screwed on too tight.

I'm sure a bit of blue loctite will remedy any loose mounting problems anyways. For quick on off, the Surefire probably wins, although you do have to put your hand in front of the muzzle in order to mount it, whereas you can just slip on the TLR-1s from the side.

learner-gr

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the TLR1s 160 Lumens can handle rcr123 batteries or must only go with cr123?

Pascotam

Newly Enlightened
I think the critical factor is the operating switch. So I'll go for the X-300 ultra. Thanks for the review!

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac both make holsters for pistols with mounted lights. Specific combinations of gun and light will vary between the two, particularly if you like inside the waistband holsters (which I do).