Need Purchase Advice

Confederate

Enlightened
I'm impressed and a bit overwhelmed by the various reviews posted here. After moving from incandescent lights my primary concern was brightness. Over the years, however, I reached a point of diminishing marginal return. Even cheap lights now light up my back yard, so lumen battles no longer are an issue.

Now what I'm after is a well made 123A light with low output and fabulous runtimes. I have one of those Amazon Kindles that I read when my wife is trying to sleep, so what I now want is a light that will provide hours of low output on standard lithium batteries. I'm looking at the Nitecore EX-10, Quark 123 and Fenix LD1. I've read that the Nitecore doesn't have great runtimes, but I'm impressed with the specs of the Quark and Fenix.

Can anyone give me some good advice? My brother has a Nitecore and I really like the quality and feel. I know many of you don't like the strobes and SOS modes, but I like them, plus the Quark's ability to throw out one burst of light every 10-15 seconds. I'd also like the light to be bright, but I'd like to get at least an hour at maximum output.

Thanks!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Confederate,
I'd recommend that you spend some time reading about the lights you're interested in on the following review sites:

http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html
http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews%20UK.html

I like my lights to have low level output as well, and some lights go lower than others. One light you might consider is the basic HDS clicky:
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_98&products_id=1802

It's a bit more expensive than the other lights you've mentioned, but what you get is a super rugged light with an incredibly flexibly user interface, allowing you to customize how the light operates, as well as adjusting the light output to precisely the level that is right for any situation, giving YOU the control over the runtime.

However, if that's too expensive, the Quark lights offer a nice selection of light levels AND a 10 year warranty.

My only problem with Nitecore is that there have been numerous reports of quality control issues in the last year, and any service requires a trip to China.

In any case, try not to be in a hurry. Spend some time reading those review sites and here on CPF, and pretty soon it will become apparent which light will work best for you.

mmace1

Enlightened
Er...I'd actually recommend the official Amazon lighted case. It *is* expensive, but...awfully useful/nice. Especially if she sleeps on your left! Then light spillage will be a non-issue.

I initially ordered an Official Kindle non-lighted case (thought the lighted-one too expensive - this was back when there were very few Kindle 3 cases), and only received a lighted one as part of a long-story return; I can see now while...they may be over-charging based on their cost, based on value, it's worth more than they ask even. The fact that it runs off the Kindle's own battery is nice.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Zebralight H501 on low in bed with my Kindle and it's such a great reading light, a great advantage to using a headlamp when reading in complete darkness is when I turn my head to pick up a bottle of water etc. or when I'm done reading I can turn the Kindle off (put book away) and the last thing I have to do before my head hits the pillow is turn the H501 off.

Confederate

Enlightened
I have a Fenix E01 I use to read at night, but some of the better multi-power lights nowadays have good light output and great runtimes. It makes me sad that my old Inovas run at low runtimes for about an hour, yet they're built like brick outhouses and have single power output.

Sixty-five dollars would be my top price to pay for a single cell light. According to the reviews, the Nitecores don't have great runtimes--but they're a popular light. Well built, too. Does anyone have a Nitecore and a Quark 123 standard? If so, which do you prefer?

Thanks for the comments and advice.