Does anyone remember this old Garrity flashlight from the '90s?

ericjohn

Enlightened
First time poster/Long time flashlight lover.

I am also new to CPF

I had several of these as a kid growing up in the 90's and early 2000's-The Garrity Mini Rugged Lite-the model number was R300G.

This was my favorite flashlight when I was a kid. It came in Orange, Blue, Yellow and Green-my favorite was the yellow.

It was made of a hard plastic and had rubber shock absorbers on the slide switch, head and tail end.

I think it came on the market in 1994 and I bought my first one in 1998.

I have searched for it many times on the internet, but to no avail. The only places that still have them are overseas. I have petitioned Garrity (now Duracell) many times to bring it back, but they basically shrug me off.

Just wondering if anyone remembered it or knows how/where I can get one. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ericjohn

Enlightened
Is this the one you mean?

negative. the model i am talking about was mostly yellow and had rubber shocks on the head switch and tail.

pretty much resembled an industrial flashlight.

it also came in a 6v. lantern, 4AA 2 way flashlight (PR 35 bulb), 1AA model (R100G), and a 2D model (R500G)

It might have been and I'm not really sure the predecessor to the less rugged G-Tech series.

I really miss that flashlight and wish I could find one somewhere.

*sigh*

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

All the Garrity tuff lights I remember have full body rubber. The rest do not have rubber at the ends.

From your description they sound like equivalents to the Dorcy floating lantern series. The 2AA are long gone (the reflector does not focus properly and the head assembly tends to disintegrate every time I change batteries). The 4AA seem to be on clearance.

Dorcy-2AA-4AA.jpg

-

You must really like the flashlight. I did a quick google and the first 20 hits are you asking this question all over the internet.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
ericjohn,
None of your pictures are posting.
Before I became a CPF'er, I had a few Mags from the '80's and '90's. My wife has 2 or 3 Garrity's lying around. I have no idea what model or series they are from,
I replaced the batteries early this year - still work. Good thing - otherwise, I was all set to throw 'em out. IIRC, they are brighter with better throw than the old rayovac's and energizer's (which I had to chuck due to burned out bulbs and corroded/leaky batteries.) Nothing like my modern LED torches, though.
Now, there's one by the front door, and one by the back, for use by NFP's (the rest of my family, sadly) in case of power outage. I'll take a look at them tonight, see if I can get any model numbers, and maybe snap a couple pictures.

gtjonathan

Newly Enlightened
ericjohn,

Immediately after reading your description, I became reminded of this funny looking greenish-tealish flashlight that I used to play with when I was maybe 5 years old.

It look a couple hours, but I found it.

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

Not surprisingly, the alkaline cells inside have leaked. The light is not working at all, but I suspect after cleaning the alkaline stuff off the contacts all will be well.

Thanks for the memories, and for prompting me to finally make an account on CPF :p

ericjohn

Enlightened
ericjohn,

Immediately after reading your description, I became reminded of this funny looking greenish-tealish flashlight that I used to play with when I was maybe 5 years old.

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

Not surprisingly, the alkaline cells inside have leaked. The light is not working at all, but I suspect after cleaning the alkaline stuff off the contacts all will be well.

Thanks for the memories, and for prompting me to finally make an account on CPF :p

Yes, Oh my God that is it.

Are you willing to sell/trade?

gtjonathan

Newly Enlightened
I am not too interested in trading. I might sell it, but you'd have to make it worth the trouble. You can email me your offer(s) at jonothon [at] rocketmail.com (I'm a new CPF'er so I can't yet PM)

Last edited by a moderator:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
ericjohn,

photo9.jpg

I had one just like that, but it vanished years ago.

Still have that Garrity model in the green color in the 2D version. Mine's been dropped many times and slammed around in a toolbox for years but still works fine.

Installed a NiteIze luxeon dropin, which produces a somewhat ringy beam with a bit of throw. Seems to run forever on 2D cells.

ericjohn

Enlightened
i liked mine with the original KPR104 bulb. It had very good throw and a very tight, yellowish white beam spot. i know duracell bought out garrity and all garrity flashlights are no longer in production, but i wish duracell would bring back that model; especially for industrial, tradesmen and DIY uses.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
This era of budget flashlights have a certain niche for certain people. Budget type lights like the garrity and EverReady's from the 90's seem to be a vastly overlooked generation of lights, not many collectors are looking for lights from this era.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I found a good picture of it on ebay a while ago. The only thing that prevented me from buying it is that it was in the UK and it would have cost an arm and a leg to ship it.

r300gorange.jpg

I hope the picture posts, I am having so much trouble with it.

ericjohn

Enlightened
Just scored another one off ebay. I am on Cloud 9. It's the one that's my favorite color (the yellow one) too.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this the one you mean?

I remember having one of those 2AA's around back in the day, I don't remember whatever happened to it though. I still have an old larger 2D version I keep in the garage with a Mag xenon lamp assembly and a couple of 2AA>1D adapters inside.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably brings back a lot of good old memories. I remember buying a bunch of Coleman flashlights at Target when I was a kid. Came in a 5 or 6 pack and had AAs, C and D cell lights. One was a miniature Coleman lantern that ran on button cells. That was by far my favorite.

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
Is part of the appeal because it is sturdy plastic?

I prefer plastic or polymer to metal, on a flashlight, at least for the small ones.