Help for my Ageing Arthritic Handed Mum

DeliveryD

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

My Mum is in her mid eighties, wobbly on her feet and has quite arthritic hands. We recently had a power cut in our village so I'm looking for help and recommendations for a flashlight/torch that she could use easily around her home.

Easy to hold and turn on, not to bright so she is blinded by it, not too heavy and maybe with a GITD switch?

All recommendations welcome!

Thank you in advance

savumaki

Enlightened
There are several lights on the market similar to 'fire alarm' lights which activate when the power fails. Home Hardware (in Canada) had a recent sale for a plug in unit at $17.
With a light of this sort your Mum would not be concerned with having to activate anything since the lights are automatic with a power failure.

Lupercal

Newly Enlightened
Hi. My mum is 78 in a few weeks, so I have some idea of your situation.

Basically mum is freaked out by anything which involves anything remotely new (though I must admit she has a mobile phone and I don't), and is terrified of Li-ion cels. If your mom is anything like my mum you'll want an old fashioned torch (in that you stick disposable batteries in it), but which has the benefits of modern compact size and LED power.

A few months ago a friend gave me an 'around the house' type torch which had 2 AA rechargeable Nimhs, but turns out to run fine on ordinary alkaline AA's. It's pencil like, about 8" long, would fit in a purse and has a head which zooms from long-throw pencil beam to wide flood. The latter is more than fine for around the house (in fact at its widest beam it's slightly too bright to read by). Probably brighter than a Maglite 3C from five years ago. Unfortunately it has no brand on it, and I've not seen it on the web - but generically, I reckon this is what she'd find most comfortable: small, simple, bright and I doubt it cost more than $15 from an electronics store.

Was that any use? I'm guessing not. The main thing to go for though is simplicity with power. Don't think like a flashlight nut; assume she has no interest in torches per se and just wants something small, handy, easy and usefully bright. Nowadays this should be easy.

Loop

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The easiest light I have to activate is a Zebralight SC50. Maybe too easy, as accidental activation does happen, but the side switch certainly is convenient. Its UI is a little tricky at first, but the low and high are instantly available. Only needing one AA might be a good factor, too. Alternately, I've given away some Dorcy and Rayovac 1AAA lights with twisty tailcap switches to my elderly uncle and mother-in-law. They seem to like them.

Good luck.

Geoff