Jetbeam RRT-0 and Xeno E03 combo XM-L Inf-V with 500 lumens

molon_labe

Newly Enlightened
How awesome would it be to have a compact(EDC) pocket light the size of the Xeno e03 with Inf-V and XM-L that goes from .05-500Lumens? Im waiting for a light like this to be built. Why do they only put a puny 200 lumen emitter in the EDC Inf-V lights?

Last edited:

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Closest thing would be the new Sunwayman V20C. I don't think it would qualify as compact edc, but it would certainly be edc'able with a holster. I'd suggest looking for the thread about it here in the LED area, myself and some other owners are reporting issues with the UI.

As for why we don't see smaller versions, I'd guess that the runtimes on high would be too short and that heat would be too much of an issue at that level.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tested a single 18650 battery powered light, custom made from stainless steel, parallel sides for a 1 inch diameter head, with an XM-L emitter from a cpf member.
It is very very floody, and poor throw!!!
Here's why.

The old R2 emitter was a die with dimensions of 1mm by 1mm.
The current XP-G R5 emitter has dimensions of roughly 1.25mm by 1.25mm.
The new XML-T6 has dimensions of roughly 2mm by 2mm!

With an R5 and it's dimensions, it can accept a max of some 1.5 amps.
With an XM-L:
1) the increased dimension is 20% more efficient for lower power consumption, yet greater brightness.
2) the increased size means it can be driven to a max of some 3 amps, because it can withstand greater heat build up.
Thus, notice how the max output of an R5 is say, only 300+ lumens?
Notice how an XM-L can output up to 1000 lumens!

A Luminus SST-50 is 4mm by 4mm, so it can be driven to 5 amps, to put out say 1200 lumens in a Jetbeam RRT-3!

So with the present technology, the die must increase in size, to deliver more lumens!
If you could increase the lumen output, without increasing the die size, then you may win the Nobel Prize?

Next thing.
Reflector size.
In particular, the ratio between the size of the emitter to reflector determines the ratio between the flood to throw.
These compact flashlights you are talking about, have a head size of only 1 inch!
With compact flashlights, we don't want more than 1 inch head diameter; it defeats the purpose of compact.

Presently, to get more lumens, we need the big XM-L 2mm by 2mm emitter, and when coupled to a 1 inch head reflector, the flood has ballooned, and the throw is gone!
With the existing XP-G R5 emitter at some 1.25mm by 1.25mm, coupled to a 1 inch head, there is decent total volume of lumen output, and a good ratio between flood to throw.
With the old XR-E R2 emitters at 1mm by 1mm, coupled to a 1 inch head, the total volume of lumen output is very low, there is less proportion of flood, and a higher proportion of throw.
Thus, in a restricted size 1 inch head, R5 may be the best balance, unless you want total flood...

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apart from flood to throw ratios of the bigger Cree XM-L 2mm by 2mm emitters in a compact 1 inch, or four-fifths of an inch head - we have heat issues, and battery life issues - as Incidentalist said above.
The smaller flashlights have less mass - so that mass heats up very quickly.
The bigger flashlights have more mass - to be able to absorb more heat.

The single CR123 primary disposable has a max of 1500 mAH.
In rechargeable and with protection circuitry built-in, it's mAH is only 750 mAH.
So current battery technology may be a limitation too...