Enloops safe for the EagleTac P20A2 Mk II Flashlight, XP-G?

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
After quite a bt of research here and elsewhere I decided to go with the EagleTac P20A2 Mk II Flashlight, XP-G.

I decided against the ET20C2 because I wanted to easily obtain batteries no matter where I am or charge them and the CR123's tho widely available are not as available as the AA's. The minor loss of lumens really won't be noticed in the long run for my uses.

Decidec against the Olight simply because it is Chinese made and while an excellent light I'd prefer to help Americans keep jobs.

So if I got with the P20A2 I can use AA's. Package says it is compatible with rechargeable batts tho I do not know if it says what kind so I'm thinking Enloops.

Anyone reading this use this model of light with rechargeable batts and what are your results, how long can it be stored without recharging and so on?

Niconical

Enlightened
Not only are the Eneloops safe for use, they are also the best option you can find.

Eneloops will hold 85% of their charge after 1 year, and I can't remember what after 2 years, but hey, if you're not using the thing for 2 whole years, send it to me, I'll use it for ya! :)

We discuss a lot on the forum, and rarely are things black and white, but in the case of Eneloops, you won't find many users who think they're not the best AA/AAA rechargables available.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, use Eneloops. That is a great light. It is made in China but EagleTac is an American company.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to cpf Satanta. Eneloops are great for that light. Fyi eagletac has US offices but manufactures in china.

Last edited:

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to cpf santana. Eneloops are great for that light. Fyi eagletac isUS offices but manufacctures in chi.na

Ah.

Crap.

Thanks for that info.

So now it's back to the P20A2 which is cheaper or th Olite with the kit [[4 batts, charger and so on.]]

Every time I get it figured out. I'm doing all this research to be absolutely positive to get the worst light I can possibly buy. Not intentional, just works that way. :/

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Eneloops are a great way to power this light.... IMHO they are THE BEST. I have accidentally run mine all the way down to 0V, when my light turned on accidentally in my pack. I just charged it back up and its good to go. Very few cell chemistries or brands can survive this kind of treatment.

ET is an american company that manufactures in China, so you'll be helping BOTH economies. I only have one ET, but its been very reliable and very high quality overall, despite its manufacturing origins.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
Eneloops are a great way to power this light.... IMHO they are THE BEST. I have accidentally run mine all the way down to 0V, when my light turned on accidentally in my pack. I just charged it back up and its good to go. Very few cell chemistries or brands can survive this kind of treatment.

ET is an american company that manufactures in China, so you'll be helping BOTH economies. I only have one ET, but its been very reliable and very high quality overall, despite its manufacturing origins.

I owned an Norinco AK-47 clone some years ago. Made in China and one of the top AK-clones in the world.

I like Chinese food. :) Own my own travel chopsticks-they fold up in my photo vest.

I just prefer to support my country over others but sometimes it simply cannot be.

I
ll likely go with the EagleTac and get some Eneloops-keep it simple and tough. Saw some guy freeze his ET in a block of ice on med power overnight and it was still going strong. I can live with that.

Looking for a deal on the newer Eneloops and a charger now. :)

Napalm

Enlightened
The P20A2 is one of the better built 2xAA lights. I liked it so much that I got 2 of them :)

Look for the one with XP-G S2 LED, apparently it's the brightest XP-G 2xAA light available.

Nap.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really liked my P10A2 - it was my favorite 2 AA light. My son lost mine while camping. Will probably get another ET 2xAA light. I love the UI

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
As far as brightness. I'm more of a 'light the entire room up' than a 'must see a mosquito at 1000 yards' type. Plus bad eyes out past 50 I have a hard time pulling details quickly even in bright Sunlight. I can see stuff but it takes a minute for my brain to separate it from everything else so throw out to 100 yards is good but wide spread is better.

The UI has me somewhat puzzled since I have not used it. I get the basics but can I set normal one-push comes on in Mede, double-click strobe and the turn to the whichever and back then click to high?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Biggest mistake people make with Eneloops is to mix fresh charged cells with depleted cells. They CAN vent in such cases, in high drain devices.

Napalm

Enlightened
As far as brightness. I'm more of a 'light the entire room up' than a 'must see a mosquito at 1000 yards' type.

Check the HO XM-L version then.

As for the interface. I have the tail activated strobe disabled on mine. With the head tightened, it's just an on/off thing at max brightness. Loosen the head and it goes to medium. Let it loosened and the switch will operate on/off in medium mode. Want more stuff like low, strobe etc? while light is on, tighten then loosen the head quickly.

Sounds complicated but in practice I'm using it 99% on high so I keep the head tightened and it's just an on/off interface this way. Couldn't be any simpler.

Nap.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
Napalm...is the HO XM-L a drop-in module?

Trying to keep it all on the KISS method since, as a photographer I already tote a ton of gear/lenses/bodies/batteries and survival suplies on me anyway. The more I have to tote the less inclined I am to do it. ;)

I've mentioned it on a couple of other threads but here it is again-I an vision impaired, hypersensative to sunlight, can't see crap in the dark. My main use for the light on a daily basis is to find the black basset hound or the cat out in the yard at night where there is a ton of foliage, wood walkways and crap to trip over plus walking the scraps to the compost pile at the back corner of the place with all that crap between me and the house so some throw is good but lighting up the general area is best. I also go into old, decrepit dark houses-think places like 'Rose Red' and caves, throw not super important but being able to see holes in the floor or living corpses ambling out of a doorway, identitfyig it as friend or foe before shooting it full of holes is a *good* thing.

My Coleman Max lights up the inside of the house nicely [[about 112L]] but it won't throw enough to find the danged dog out there in the back tho it does light the cats eyes up nicely even when she is way out in the underbrush where I could not see her in the daytime. :)

The adde benefit of blinding any doorkickers is a plus as well as my roomate who tends to flip out and act like a 12 year od girl [[he's 65 and a friend of my wife who was here when she and I got together-I've used my Coleman on him as well as an handheld airhorn to get his attention. :D ]]

Latest posts