• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Post your Peak Beamshots

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
I've read lots of great things about these lights, but am unable to find any beamshots! I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread so people can compare the different models and optic options for these lights. White wall and outdoor shots would be great! Let's see what we can come up with! Mod's please move this thread if you see it fit.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see some beamshots of the various models and the different optics. I've been seriously considering purchasing one of the new QTC models, but I'd like to have a better idea of what to expect before ordering.

I've read many descriptions of the beams, but as the old saying goes, one picture is worth a thousand words. It would be even better if some one could use a standardized setup to shoot all the models/optics at the same time, giving a way to compare them.

In particular, I'm interested in seeing beamshots of:
Eiger..... wide, medium, and narrow
Logan.... medium and narrow
El Capitan.... medium and narrow

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, not to toot my own horn, but I'm a pretty good photographer, and if Bob at RMSK wanted to send me a selections of lights, I'd be happy to photograph the lights and do a setup for comparative beamshots :devil:.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps Marshall at GoingGear should/could become a distributor....His reviews are the best!

I asked him this in person about 1.5 years ago and he did not think it would ever happen. Times change and he could always pipe in and contradict me. I, for one, would like it too as he ships internationally.

eala

dirtech

Enlightened
I have never done a beamshot, but I have a Logan QTC with a narrow optic and I'll give it a shot. Give me a few.

DSC_0750Medium.jpg

If you have any suggestion on me taking a better beamshot, let me know. I'm using my wife's D90 so the sky is the limit.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now we're rolling :). Hey dirtech, that's pretty good for your first beamshot.

That looks like a pretty typical Cree XP-G beam...... medium sized hotspot with a medium sized spill.

White wall beamshots are great for showing the beam profile, especially if you show it next to another light that most folks already know, that way we have something to compare it to.

The main thing is to establish some kind of consistency. The same distance from the wall, the same settings on the camera, etc.

What I normally do is keep the camera in full manual mode and take notes of the camera settings. I'll lock the white balance on "Daylight", and note the ASA setting, the F stop, and the shutter speed, along with the distance from the wall, and then include that info with the photo...... along with the light information. For instance, was this shot with the light at full power?

Some folks will also include a few more shots. For instance, with 1 and 2 stops under that first shot (faster shutter speed or smaller F stop), and 1 and 2 stops over that first shot (slower shutter speed or more wide open F stop). These let us see various aspects of the beam.

Then do the exact same setup with any other lights you have. That way we can see how the beam on the Logan compares to other lights. Same distance from the wall, same ASA, same shutter speed, same F stop, and with the white balance locked to "Daylight".

The other thing would be to do a real life setup type shot with all your lights. Some folks use a long hallway, some folks go outside and use a forest, some use their living room. The idea is to be able to see how the light pattern looks in the real world..... the combination of throw and spill...... so you need stuff at various distances (both away from the light and to the sides) to act as markers...... like an alley way...... or a field with trees...... etc.

In this case, you're trying to get the photos to give a realistic representation of what you are seeing, but at the same time keeping the camera settings the same from light to light.

In any case....... great job, and thanks for contributing.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great suggestions Derek Dean. I think it would benefit Peak greatly to have someone do the beam shots. Heck, I think the one YouTube video of the Logan QTC sold some lights. It convinced me after watching.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
I'm good with a camera also (I also have a D90) but don't own any peaks! :) I would like to, but I've always compared beamshots for every other light i've bought to ensure it will suit my needs. Dirtech, thanks for breaking the ice! I agree with Derek. Setting the camera manually and comparing to well-known lights would be great! I would love to see an outdoor shot of that narrow optic in particular.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Choombak! Now we just need some outdoor ones. I'm really curious what the logan looks like outdoor. I'm pretty anxious to pull the trigger on the qtc in SS or Brass, but really want to see an outdoor shot!

dirtech

Enlightened
I'm currently on a fire in central Idaho so it will be a couple weeks. But I will try and do more when I can using the above suggestions.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone is willing to do some outdoor beamshots or videos of the peak lights. Thanks! Dirtech, hope you are home safe and sound.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a chance to throw this together tonight. All shots are in manual mode at 1/80th and f stop of 2.5 with white balance on daylight. All shots are with the same AW14500 cell (except the Eiger which is with an AW 14440). Distance to white door is about 3 ft.

I do have a standard El Cap narrow, just forgot to do a shot of it.

Family Shot

Eiger (High CRI XPG LED - medium)

Peak Logan (standard XPG LED)

Peak El Cap (XPG High CRI LED - wide)

Peak El Cap (3D tint XPG neutral LED - wide)

Peak Volcan (XPG High CRI LED)

Xeno E03 XML Neutral White (3C tint) - freaky bright

HDS Rotary 200

eala

Last edited: